Got any travel plans this year?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I choose my moments.

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Did you have to make a choice between doing the right thing and letting the woman you love go, then have to say goodbye to her right there on the tarmac as she finally flies out of your life forever with another man?

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Oh Bogie, you fucking chump.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

No but I did go into that Bar one night ! Its all fake (they have a piano though )

McFuddy likes this.
  5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Is the bar functional?? Like when you say fake you mean it’s a set or someone recreated the bar and opened it for business??

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

travel back and forth to doctors..

7. Rots in hell

There IS a Ricks cafe in Casablanca But the one in the film was
    Yes The original Bar was just a film set in a Hollywood studio but there is a recreation of it in Casablanca

Orison likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why should I look away. I hope this post was ment half jokingly because otherwise you seem to grossly misunderstand what I said. I did not argue against travelling abroad, not even for holiday purposes.

Just because i didn't gave a solution doesn't mean i didn't really say anything. You just prefer people to shut up if they don't have the solution readily available lol

Not sure why that seems the sole and inevitable solution to you. Go on as we do or give up pretty much everything. There's a middle way.
    There are a lot of little solutions that together make a big enough impact. But we also need some big changes in durable energy and transportation. These changes are already in progress.
    The thing is though, we need the little solutions too. So just leaning back as a consumer, relying on the powers that be and the folks who actually actively give a shit that the big changes will set through is a big part of the problem. I dare to say a bigger problem than a poor family in India unable to improve their ways. Because if you really think about it who has the bigger ecological footprint? A poor indian or chinese family not buying organic or seperating their trash, using energy from a coal plant? Or an australian citizen who could make an effort but doesn't, and besides makes an anual plane trip to south east Asia? This is why it remains worthwile to point out my initial point: that (esp. shorter) airplane travel is an enormous polluter and using it frequently should not be taken lightly if one gives a shit about the environment. It is especially worthwile to confront people with it who's initial response is fuck off, you're just trying to ruin my fun. No, I'm not.
    I didn't primarily say the above to make you feel guilty btw, but because you have used the poor people in Asia argument repeatedly as an excuse for not doing little things yourself. The solution lies in making a combined effort as consumers and responsible citizens. We really could have much more impact on these industries if more people consume (which includes using services like transportation naturally) more responsible and consciously. So yes, it's a drag other countries do less, there are lots of poor people that will not do as much as you can and yes, governments and corporations have more power than you and me. But no, leaving it like that doesn't make you neutral in this all, it makes you a part of the problem. A bigger part than the poor people in Asia. Because for one: we at least have a goddamn choice.
    Imagine if every family in north west Europe going for a southern Europe beach holiday would travel for the large part by train. Preposterous idea? Only because we have grown accustomed in the last half century to this preposterous idea that we should be able to fly everywhere we can think off. We know now that this is not affordable, for the environment that is. And that there are viable alternatives in a lot of instances. If we in first world countries would already limit air travel for ourselves that way (instead of flying 3 times a year to southern Europe to sit 14 days at the beach) we would make a gigantic change for the better already. Much better than as a spoiled consumer just blaming gubberment, corporations and industry and all the poor people with no options

9. Asmodean

That's longer than i wanted it to be :p Hope you can be bothered to read it :)

10. Yeah, but have you been on a train for 15 hours?
    No matter how much you walk around, your ass starts to hurt a lil

11. Asmodean

It feels outrageously good to be a responsible consumer and traveller :D

12. Rots in hell

No

13. Asmodean

Wasn't talking to you, whiny old man.

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Don’t ever travel on concrete then, since cement production contributes 10% to global c02 emissions.

15. Rots in hell

Your so full of shit !
    You Deliver Cheese for your Ma and sit Smoking Weed with your Buddies and think that Gives you the right to tell everyone else how they should Live ? Fucking Grow up

16. Asmodean

How does me riding on a concrete road produced 60 years ago makes me an irresponsible traveller?
    But yes, it is very worthwile to point out that concrete production is an enormous polluter too. Does it mean we can and should make as much flights as possible because of it? Me thinks not.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  17. Asmodean

Anybody has the right to give their opinion on another person s actions or thinking, its not some special right i have assumed or acquired.
    If you don't want to read my posts as you said, don't read them. If you have something useful to say in response please do. I welcome it.
    You have already made clear you think im simply full of shit and that i should post somewhere else than here where you apparently have a hard time ignoring me, so you don't have to repeat your whining. I understood you just fine, i just disagree. So either react with something useful or stop reacting. Although you tried to put it like im whining the only one whining here is you.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I came across a statistic earlier - 70% of CO2 emissions are produced by 100 companies.

It does seem a little silly to put the onus of responsibility on the average Joe when it's really going to take massive business regulation on a global scale to make any sort of real difference

19. Asmodean

Its a combined effort. The average joe can not place it all on the industry and government when the industry and government are supposed to be fulfilling the needs of the average joes (consumers) but the average consumer doesn't care how those needs are fulfilled.
    I acknowledge that without the big changes needed to be made by the bigger players the little things don't matter shit, but it seems its the same other way around too. We can not keep consuming as irresponsibly as we did in the last 60 or so years. Same with airplane travel

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well i'm still flying to Denver this year, ASMO

Mallyboppa likes this.