Got any travel plans this year?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'd love if it were a lot easier to just travel without making plans. i got too much stuff i don't want to have to replace at my age to carry it all on my back,
    and the price of cars these days, or even two wheelers, i'll leave it at that.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

So, I've decided that I'm actually going to save up and take a trip. I think it will be a year before I can go, but I want to hit Ibiza, Spain.

[​IMG]

YouFreeMe and morrow like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not really plans, but i sure wish i belonged any one of several places other then where i currently am.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  4. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

I travel to the coldest parts the country in winter and the hottest parts of the country in summer. My plan is that. I am interested in extreme temperatures.

But I wish I didn't have to do it alone with no friends or partner. It is difficult to find people that have the same interests like you.

5. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I have too many planned.
    I will post as I go.

6. lode

lode Banned

Cancun on Wednesday!

Ukraine or Philippines in December.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Isn’t Ukraine still at war?

If so, maybe that’ll influence your decision :)

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think he will travel to the eastern part. The biggest part of the country isn't a warzone.

9. lode

lode Banned

What Asmodean said. There are some tensions around the border, but the entire country isn't actively at war. I have a friend there, otherwise I wouldn't visit Ukraine in the winter.

10. soulcompromise

so... my travel plans are being weird! From Los Angeles to Ibiza is fine. For most of the flight options there is a layover somewhere reasonably comfortable. The return voyage is another story...

Ibiza to Los Angeles sees me stopping anywhere from 10 hours or more in the airport waiting for a flight. I don't think I would enjoy that, but I don't see any other options.

I'm not actually booking my flight right now because I am renewing my passport first. But I'm frustrated with my options.

Does anyone know a special trick for booking flights, or should I buckle down and get a hotel room for my 22 hour layover? thanks

EDIT: Not going until April 2020 (spring break) the fourth through the tenth. Planning on staying at the Hard Rock in Ibiza.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hmm you could always pay a little bit to get into the club lounges. You get free meal, free drinks a shower and a private room to sleep in. I'd do that and hopefully you meet a air stewardess in there. ;)

Other than that though you can't really help the stop overs unless you book direct flights but they're always more expensive. We've a 3 hour wait on our return home in a few days, we'll be going to the Qantas lounge. Gonna eat and drink my $65 worth. :D

12. 6-eyed shaman

Right now, I'm all out of travel plans for the rest of this year. So I'll have to think of something that isn't too spendy. I have enough airline miles to go anywhere from Alaska to Costa Rica. It's the cost of lodging that I'm not too excited about. Plus, I have to work a lot.

My brother is going to Japan with his wife this fall. Lucky bastard.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you have a layover of 10 hours or more I would just get out and explore. Sleep on the plane, then spend a few hours wandering around a city you wouldn't have visited otherwise

soulcompromise likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

See if a return flight to San Diego is any better. If it is, you could take amtrak or a lyft to LA

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seconded. Even if you don't see or do anything special: you're in a new place! Just wander about a little! Might cost less too :)

16. soulcompromise

I agree.

I can totally see myself spending $50.00 on magazines in the airport lounge...

17. lode

lode Banned

What airline do you use? I've never had liked one enough to pay attention to free miles. I feel you on the work alot. I have over two weeks of vacation on the books, but just taking 2 days took a month and a half of notice.

I think summer vacation is one of the only things I really miss about being a kid.

18. 6-eyed shaman

Alaska Airlines. I live in a small town and Alaska is our biggest provider of air travel. Plus every dollar I spend on my credit card gets me 1 airline mile with them.

19. soulcompromise

I'm taking your advice on this. What a great idea! Thank you. Now it feels like just another part of the adventure.

Meliai likes this.
  20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yay :) happy adventuring!