got a question about shampoos and washing my new dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by marley420, Feb 8, 2009.

1. marley420

marley420 Member

i jst backcombed my hair two days ago and i still havent let water touch them i dont have non residue shampoo yet but i will go buy sum, i was wondering if i cld wash them wit jst water and if they would fall out and i was also wondering when i do get the shampoo how many times a week shld i wash my hair wit it

thanks for the help ill post pics soon

2. dreadedsunflower

dreadedsunflower Senior Member

run some hot water over them it feels amazing and wont hurt them or do a sea salt rinse its amazing for them

3. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

in my opinion dont wash them for a while, also its not good too wash your hair that often anyway.

4. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I left mine for a month! If felt soo good to wash them when I did. People were telling me to leave it as long as possible. I think, when you feel like you need to wash them go ahead and do so! Try the deep clean since you don't have the right shampoo yet. Most of that stuff will be in your cupboards.

5. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I think just wash them whenever you feel your scalp telling you it needs a wash. Your dreads may loosen, but they're not gonna fall out altogether; they will start tightening up again before that point.

6. marley420

marley420 Member

all the shampoo in my house has oil in the ingredients :( umm cld i use ivory brand bar soap in my hair or wld it b better jst to use hot water in the shower
    wht do u guys do for the salt sprays is it jst like a table spoon of salt and dilute it wit a cup of water and jst pour over the dreadies
    before i backcombed my hair the other day i use to shower every morning and nite wld it b alright to shower like every nite or like every other nite i suppose i cld also cover my hair to so i cld clean myself

7. amybird

amybird Senior Member

You can try wearing a nylon stocking over your dreads to protect and contain them a bit if you want to continue showering often, or simply a shower cap of course so you don't have to get them wet every single time.
    Not sure about the soap thing...sorry

8. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I think the soap would be ok. I know lots of people w/ dreads and they have all used lots of different products. Just use a little and rinse well:)

9. AnyThingButMe

AnyThingButMe Member

nah washing your hair is pretty great....

10. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

u got any pics yet???

11. shadygrov

shadygrov Member

dawn's dish detergent would work in a pinch. Apple cider vinegar and baking soda would be better though...both are very cheap. I personally don't like baking soda by itself...No matter what I do it just doesn't cut out all the grime. With that said, if I do a rinse or two with baking soda before I was with Dr. Bronners soap, it does a very good job. It makes my hair so soft. Bicarb also helps with keeping the excess oil production down.