Googling people

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, May 8, 2013.

1. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

my real name cannot be found on any sites op can access without clearance

whoops...after typing that line i searched me and found some info on a site about my entire family tree...i'm pissed...one of my fucktard cousins did it

ima gonna cal him and get him to delete me

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yep, I know. I was replying to Odon ;) I should include a quote directly more often :D

3. odonII

odonII O

NoxiousGas

subject to your privacy and application settings

We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.

So, where does this: Facebook will sell anything you want to know about anybody who has an account

come into play?

4. odonII

odonII O

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Well they no longer technically "sell" your info, they gather it and then match you up with advertisers based on your demographics, browsing habits, etc. BUT they are still mining data to be used by advertisers to make $$$$ of off YOU with or without your knowledge.

I guarantee you that all those settings are by default to allow Facebook to do what they want and most users don't consider it or bother to change the settings.

OdonII, overall you present as a rather intelligent guy, but at times I think "How naive" over some of your posts.

I base my opinion on the many lawsuits;

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...privacy-deal-for-facebooks-sponsored-stories/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2558...privacy_wrongs_seeks_10k_for_each_member.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...ks-court-to-dismiss-$15-billion-privacy-suit/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/fa...tracked-online/story?id=14754964#.UYvFgHDn-9I

http://communications-media.lawyers.com/privacy-law/Lawsuit-Target-Facebook-Privacy-Issues.html

There are many, many more like the above cases.
    I'm sorry, reluctantly changing company policy ONLY in response to MULTIPLE lawsuits totaling many, many millions of dollars just doesn't sound very sincere to me, more like they were "forced" to protect members privacy.

But at least someone is trying to "fix" shit to some degree;
    http://www.njbiz.com/article/201303...s-despite-lawsuit-fears?template=state-street

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

In another life I was known as PB_Smith. I googled PB Smith one day and a lot of the results were for some young African American college student.
    I thought to myself "Poor Bastard, I hope whoever he tries to get a job from doesn't find Hip Forums." :p

8. odonII

odonII O

When did they 'sell' 'our' info'? Most sites use cookies to 'mine' our data - even this one, I imagine.

I obviously have to change a few of my settings :p

We are talking about selling information - I'd happily go through those stories if you wish.

I do appreciate if you are not on top of your privacy settings they can do certain things that you don't want them to do.

9. Asmodean

I remember noticing a PB_Smith on here! Not had a clue anymore what kind of poster he was though, so neither that it was you :p

10. Asmodean

11. odonII

odonII O

Pressed_Rat

Man, that's over 5 years old. I can't even remeber how to get into that account.

Do you know how long it took to do this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too long...

12. odonII

odonII O

A younger happy me, yes.... :p

13. Asmodean

Haha, that's great! Especially since I never saw your face on this site :biggrin:

14. odonII

odonII O

We can't all be as attractive as you and Pressed_Rat

15. Asmodean

Are you fishing for a compliment? :p

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Well when they utilize your browsing habits and Facebook content so that advertisers can send ads to specific Facebook members, isn't that "selling" your information?
    True your personal data may not leave Facebooks servers and be moved to the advertisers server, but bottom line, Facebook is making $$$$ from advertisers by using YOUR information.

Cookies generally only track last visit, password/login info and rarely your browsing history, although those ones border on spyware/malware.

Facebook tracks everything members do and post, even track browsing when not logged into Facebook (that may have been changed though) and then use that info for advertisers, not the same as a cookie by a long shot.

It would be like Skip reading all your posts, everything you linked to and all photos you uploaded, claiming ownership of same as long as your a member, then using that info to have specific ads sent to your PM. Wouldn't you feel that was a violation?

17. odonII

odonII O

I think I'm being sarcastically English. I dunno. Maybe I am.

NoxiousGas

Well, not really, no. I think they can only utilise the information I allow them to share. If I 'share' information via allowing a specific 'app' to share certain elements of my content - that's upto me.

tracking cookies and especially third-party tracking cookies are commonly used as ways to compile long-term records of individuals' browsing histories — a major privacy concern that prompted European and US law makers to take action in 2011. Cookies can also store passwords and forms a user has previously entered, such as a credit card number or an address. When a user accesses a Web site with a cookie function for the first time, a cookie is sent from server to the browser and stored with the browser in the local computer. Later when that user goes back to the same website, the website will recognize the user because of the stored cookie with the user's information.

I don't think it is fair to suggest Facebook sells my/our information. Especially when even you have decided to add certain caveats to your original claim.