Google aids al qaida

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by crummyrummy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2005-08-17-google-maps-terrorism_x.htm
    Lawmakers fear software use for terror By Toby Sterling, The Associated Press

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Two members of the Dutch parliament have questioned whether a free mapping program from Google Inc. may help would-be terrorists by providing aerial photos of potential targets.
    Google Earth, launched this year, uses overlapping satellite photos to simulate the experience of flying from the stratosphere down to any spot on earth.

The photos come from a variety of sources. Though not all areas are highly detailed, some are so good that people can see details of their own homes, such as a pool or garden shed.

Lawmakers Frans Weekers and Aleid Wolfson read about the software in a Dutch newspaper article that raised the possibility that terrorists could use the program to study government buildings or nuclear reactors. So Weekers and Wolfson demanded answers from the administration.

Justice Ministry spokesman Wibbe Alkema said Wednesday the government was still crafting its response.

Google spokeswoman Catherine Betts said benefits of the software "far outweigh any negatives from potential abuse."

"Google Earth is built from information that is already available from both commercial and public sources," she said. "The same information is available to anyone who flies over or drives by a piece of property."

Similar fears in Australia were quelled after officials said they doubted the program posed any special threat to national safety.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

More propaganda and hype to help further scare the easily-manipulated masses into a chronic state of fear and anxiety.

It's also funny that this comes at a time when the government is talking about placing more regulations on internet use (in the name of "anti-terrorism," of course), including a possible "internet tax." Of course they need the right propaganda to bolster such support, and what better way than through the threat of terrorism.

It's all bullocks!

If there is any terrorist group to fear, look no further than the White House and Pentagon. Al-Qaeda aren't the ones taking away your civil liberties while inducing the public into a chronic state of fear.

3. crummyrummy

you seem to be the most chronically afraid.

4. Pressed_Rat

Far from it. I simply don't live in the illusion that keeps most people scared and stupid. Helping to expose the truth, to me, isn't an indicator of being afraid.

And even if I was afraid, at least I know what I'm fearing.

5. crummyrummy

seeing the boogey man under every rock is a symptom of being a frightened child.

6. Pressed_Rat

Who said anything about the boogey man?

7. crummyrummy

too-shay

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Anyone who doesn't fear the current regime is a damned fool!

9. crummyrummy

why do you fear this regime?

10. Kilgore Trout

um...jeez, where do I start?
    Have you noticed something slowly disappearing lately? Yeah, those were your civil rights.
    And have you noticed something funny about tv and radio these days? Yeah, they're all owned by the same company now...it's called the US government.
    And remember your friend the environment? Well it ain't gonna be your friend much longer.
    The real reason this regime is so scary to me is that they aren't accountable to anyone.
    Checks and balances are a thing of the past. Bush bypassed the senate entirely with his last appointment.
    The people are so duped by the new government sponsored media, that they don't give a shit what he does, so true democracy effectively ceases to exist.
    The masses are kept fat and ignorant by Bush's plan to dismantle public education. Perhaps you've heard of it. It's called "No Child Left Behind". The irony is sickening, really.
    Does that answer your question?

11. crummyrummy

and would another leader make a difference?

12. Kilgore Trout

Under the current system, maybe not.
    I'm holding out for Hilary, though. I'm not a democrat, but I'd love to see her get in office, if for nothing else, because she would be one of our smartest Presidents ever. And I believe that she might actually have what it takes to reform healthcare.

13. crummyrummy

So Hillary is the answer to everything?

14. Kilgore Trout

Hardly. But she might be able to make a difference.

15. crummyrummy

how so? I remember hearing that about her husband. Did he fix everything?

16. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

haha you actually want hillary to be president? wait until she wins youll take that statement back...shes the margaret thatcher of 2008

17. Kilgore Trout

I get the sense that you are trying to put words in my mouth. That argument is tired, over-simplified, and un-interesting.

All I said is that Hillary is more likely than anyone else to be able to reform healthcare. She's a crusader in that area, and I believe she can do it.