Goodbye, Lenin!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by antithesis, Jun 3, 2004.

1. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I am so excited to see this movie. Tomorrow I am going to go watch it and also Japanese Story. So am I the only person that's heard of it and is interested in it?

2. Silent Jay & The

Silent Jay & The Member

I had seen "Goodbye Lenin" in Germany a few month ago. Not my kind of movie if you know that the DDR Government was as bad as hitlers government (ok, they don't killed jews but other minded people).

3. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Just got back from watching it. I thought it was a beautiful movie. It was so touching that he would do all that for his mother.

4. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i haven't seen it (yet), but i'm thinking of buying the dvd. should i?

5. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I think it's a great movie. Even though I do believe supporting the government of east germany is not a good thing. and the movie does not support this government. The guy himself is part of the protest movement against the government, and gets imprisoned. He got out a little too easy though. It probably would have been harder in reality. But watch it and see yourself.
    It is also a good movie in terms of acting and camera shots. It is stuffed with allusions to historical events around the opening of the berlin wall and the reunification of germany.

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Yeah, the acting was excellent. I thought the main guy did a really great job. I dont' think it was really pro government either. It was just showing that some of the changes (like the commercialization) weren't so great.

7. flowerspirit

flowerspirit Member

That´s right.

I love this movie.

8. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I liked it...laughed myself silly.

9. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

That's playing at this indie film theater by my house. I was going to go see it but opted for Fast Food Nation instead.

10. crazy_gurl

crazy_gurl Member

it's an amazing film... u can learn so much about life in East Germany. im glad lots of other people are interested in German films and want to learn about a different culture. rather than England already dominated by American media... it's nice to get a change...

speaking of Germany and German... i know nowadays there's not much German on the tv, which is annoying... but anyone who lives in the uk, did anyone watch that documentary last night on BBC1 about D-day? i know that it obviously did not portray a good impression of Germany for obvious reasons, but some German was on telly! yay!

11. flowerspirit

flowerspirit Member

I think films by Rainer Werner Fassbinder are very difficult to watch. I think a really good film is one that is sophisticated/highbrow(?) AND good to watch.

12. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I will have to check that guy out, since I adore seeing new and interesting foreign films, but I still maintain that Goodbye, Lenin was a good movie.

13. Terra

Terra Member

Knocking On The Heaven's Door is a great German movie. One of my favourites