"good" reasons for Vietnam war?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by DejaVoo, May 19, 2004.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Ok, so what were the "good" things about the Vietnam war? I mean I know there were people who supported that war, what did they think?
    I have to write something for school on this and i've searched the internet and I can't really find any reasons why the Vietnam war was good in some ways. (well it wasnt..BUT....) I'm suposed to find reasons why some people AGREEED with the war? Thank you so much, I've been searching the internet FOREVER!

2. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Some people thought it was about protecting America from communism. The idea was that if Veitnam went communist all of Asia would follow. It's called the Domino Theory. The idea is shit and 'nam in still communist but that was the idea. Plus some people think the gov't knows best.Hope this helps. I had to write a paper on how American policies towards communism led to the Vietnam War.

3. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

There was No Good in That War...Write about the Four Million People that Where Carpet Bombed in North Vietnam by American B-52 Bomber's Instead.

4. LotusIndia

LotusIndia Member

There WAS no good reason for that war. Tho there's a reason you've been searching the net yet not finding anything justifiable for it - there isn't any!

If you are looking for a reason people "agreed" on the war, thats different than a good reason, because what they agreed on was based on propaganda.

The govt indoctrinated the nation with a fear that communism was working its way toward our borders and would eventually take over if we did not go to war. However, that was just an (unfounded) fear and untrue. We knew, even in our teenage years, the war in Nam was about oil, about greed. The govt denied it, our parents denied it, most adults of that generation insisted it had to do with freedom and avoiding communism. But we knew that was simply what the nightly news told them and not fact. Now, some 30 years later, they finally admitted on the nightly news that the war in Nam was for oil. Its about time! We were right.

You now have the reasons people AGREED on that war, and you can put whatever twist on it you need to get a good grade, but please know within that there was not one GOOD reason.

Have you considered the school is making you seek out a good reason for 'that' war in order to subtly make you look for, or accept, a good reason for the war in Iraq?

Namaste,
    Lotus

5. Megara

Megara Banned

who admitted what when?

6. LotusIndia

LotusIndia Member

I actually heard it on the news. This was about two years ago. They came right out and said the reason we went to war in Nam was for their oil. Finally!

Namaste,
    Lotus

7. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Oh my goodness, thank you guys. Now i can finnaly finish my dumb paper. And there is no good reason for war anyways - but thats the stuff we gotta learn in school. I don't like learning about war in school..its crap! It's so confusing too. And my teacher is like "oh yeah well there were some good reasons why the war was good blah blah, or if we want to go into a country and attack, we should know about the country so we can attack them better (like Iraq)" Its just like, UGH! I don't want to hear it! Thats like all we learn about in History is WAR. So stupid. Well thank you anyways!!!

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The war was excellant for the defence contractors--they made the bullets,bombs,tanks,helicopters,planes---and all the other rigamarole that wars require-------------------------other than that,I can't remember anything good about it.Killed and wounded thousands of young ---cost this country and others untold millions and accomplished what?They're still communists and we're still fighting.Shit ,it never ends.-------scratcho---------

9. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

The only "good" thing that came out of the Vietnam war, were some fantastic songs! Great anti-war music (Joan Baez, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Stones, Country Joe).One other thing, would be instilling in the American people, a keen sense of knowing when a war waged by our government, is wrong. Like what we're seeing now, the split in our country over the Iraq war. Even our politicians like McCain, knows this war is wrong, because he fought and lived through Vietnam. Vietnam made him keenly aware of the horrors of war and that you don't enter a war "lightly", for example on an assumption of WMD's, like Bushman did.

10. RiffinGay

RiffinGay Member

God, I seriously can't stand the ass-talking going on here. Most of you obviously have no idea about anything. Yes, I'm sure Vietnam is a very oil-rich country, hence why the U.S. went there in the first place. The whole anti-communism McCarthy era? Never happened; it was just a bunch of greedy government officials trying to furiously grab oil from all countries possible.

I bet a lot of you believe that the U.S. government made up the "Domino Theory" as a stupid excuse to kill random people. I mean that’s what the government does right? Or at least that’s how you portray it. Sure, its easy to say the Domino Theory is stupid because there are not a lot of communist states left today, but how would you explain that 40 years ago? "We've just received intel from the time travelers Mr. Johnson, even though right now communism is spreading at an alarming rate and could pose a serious threat to our Nation, the travelers gave us the news of the future and everything works out."

To all of you saying, "communism wasn't spreading”, I suggest you look at the map on http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/communis.htm.

Do I believe the war in Vietnam was justified? No, but I say that only because I am alive now and witness the results. Simply because I don't believe the war was justified doesn't mean I am going to go on a rant that "The U.S. government was stupid and should have known what was to happen" To answer the question that started this post, yes, there were reasons for involvement in the war that weren't "stupid".

As for learning about war in school, that’s so stupid! I mean really! Who cares if War is one of the biggest parts of history and is constantly influencing society! In a perfect world the Government wouldn't allow schools to teach history. In fact, they will lie and make up history supporting the view of you hippies making the world a better place. Oh wait a second! That goes against what some of your main beliefs are! Uh oh :eek: I guess that makes your statement about "history is stupid" contradictory! And yes, saying "learning about war in school is stupid" is the exact same thing as saying "I am a stupid waste of time and everything I say from now on is void of credibility"

11. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll.

Please don't feed the troll.

Thank you.

12. RiffinGay

RiffinGay Member

Usually, long posts that discuss differing opinions are written by trolls. Simply repeating the word "Troll" is an excellent retort to my stupid, poorly thought out post.God I hate you all. If you seriously want to try and give me an educated responce IM me on AIM.

13. WE1

WE1 Member

The only good reason I can think of for going to Vietnam was getting a great suntan.

RiffinGay,I found out the hard way in 1969 and 1970 that Vietnam was not worth fighting or arguing about. Intresting that you would come into a Old Hippies forum that prides itself on peace and harmony and than claim righteous indignation in your second post;when you don't like a response. This is especially telling since your Hip Forums bio states.

Biography:
    I hate hippies, your inane ramblings really illustrate your lack of intelligence

No one here owes you anything asshole. Your not wanted,needed or welcome in this forum. Do you understand?

14. RiffinGay

RiffinGay Member

I clearly stated before that I don't believe the Vietnam war was justified. I also, like many of you, believe many young lives were wasted in the war. I have respect for ever soldier who fought in the war. However, I have no respect for 16 year old girls taking advice on a school paper from people who believe oil was the main cause of War in vietnam.

Do you think I honestly care about being wanted or not? Many civil rights leaders and other advocates of personal freedoms expressed their opinions in places where they were not welcome.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Governments lie?hahahahahahaha.The clowns arrive.

16. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

When I was ... Oh hells bells ... In 1965, I was 19. We couldn't sit down in front of the TV without seeing the horror of the Vietnam War. EVERY NIGHT!

Now I'm 58, and at the risk of sounding like my parents, who at that time told me over and over again; "Peace is just a Hiatus between War". I thought that they were stupid then, and I laughed at them. But, you know, they were right. History shows they were and are.

A Good Reason? M O N E Y dear, Money.

To study one war is to study them all. If you care enough to go back to 400 BC and study the Greecian Wars and progress up to this war we're waging in Iraq, you'll find the same motivation clearly spelled out in each and every one. Greed, Power, and Individual Insanity of those who Can because they have the cahonies to start one.

Another thing that my parents said to me was; "Go fight city hall." And you know what? They were right again. You can't fight them, and these days you'll get you ass sent to Siberia, or the US equivalent. I used to think that I had power in casting my vote. Well... Bush stole the election... And AMERICA LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT!

And now we're in Iraq. Same Shit Different Day. Well the only dif is that they can't dig tunnels in the desert.

But what are they telling you now? It was because of the terrorists, Right? Well back then it was because of the Communists. And we stayed there to Save Face? Give me a fucking break.

We stayed there because it was in the best interest of those in power. Now if you really want an answer, write some of the folks who were in power then, what they conclude was a Good Reason to be there.

Me? I'm just a fucking dumbass old woman. What do I know.

17. grendel 44

grendel 44 Dazed and Confused

Well, RiffinGay, what's your point? Was the mess in Vietnam really a war? I do not think we ever declared war against North Vietnam. I always understood it to be a "police action". Nevertheless, it happened, why? (you may ask) has never been very clear.
    The problems in Nam started long before we were involved. The French were there and were pretty much exploiting the vietnamese. In 1948, Ho Chi Min, tried to talk to Truman and asked for help because the French were taking over the country and using it as a base for big business. (No oil) So, he asked the US, the saviour of the world, to lend a hand. Truman basically said "$uck you, your'e a bunch of commies and besides, we have alliances with France and will not interfere. Ok, so they went to Stalin who said, right on comrades, and started sending arms. So finally the French got scared and asked Eisenhour for help. He decided that, since France were our allies and not commies, that he would send some "advisors" to try and sort things out. While this is happening Ho Chi Min is splitting the county, and then we have the Viet Min and the Viet Cong. Ho Chi Min goes to China for help and that started the Ho Chi Min trail of supply (through Cambodia through south and into north vietnam.) This is what we were doing dropping all that napalm, trying to wreck their supply lines. Then you have the Cong all mixed up with the min and we are not equipped to handle that kind of warfare. Imaging Iraq, if it was not a desert but a jungle.

I could go on, but the basic idea escalated here in the US and Kennedy started sending a few more "advisors". Then Johnson (being reminded of the Bay of Pigs) freaked out and started sending troops and so on and so on...

It was a tragic mistake, and the rest you probably know. The whole agenda of the US was to stomp out communism and keep big business' a good foothold in Asia.

Good that came of it? Not a goddam thing. Well maybe some of the folks who came over here, I know some pretty cool vietnamese people. They are the true losers of that mess, along with our vietnam vets, who never got a fair shake. they (for the most part) were just ordinary guys put in a rotten situation and have never received the recognition they deserved, but that's another story........

18. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

SHIT!!!!!!!!! I though t THIS thread would be EMPTY!!!!!!!!! Because there were NONE!!!

19. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

If students get in a fight in school then they get in trouble. That is after they listen to teachers explain that the USA gets some point across to another country by going to war.

Parents can spend 18+ years telling their kids to love each and share their toys and help them grow up to be a good man/woman. War can take 18+ days to destroy/kill them.

20. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

OR LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know of someones who's brother never even lasted 24 hours in Nam!!! He was 18 at the time as well. He died approximately 11 hours after he landed in Nam, not sure of all the details as I don't want to but sounds pretty shit to me.

War destroys everything it touches one way or another. My husband returned from figting in Iraq nearly a year ago now and he is a completely different person and it has cost us our marriage of 14+years. He is cruel to his children and nasty to me. He announced he doesn't want a family anymore so doubt once I return to Canada he will ever even see his kids again. This change in him is killing his two youngest sons as they are too young to understand what is happening. The eldest is far older and understands it was the war that did this not something he did. The two youngest figure they did something to make Daddy hate them as they both have voiced they fell that he does now. I try to explain it to them but how do you tell a young child a man came back from a war not their Dad.

Now you tell me that any war is good for anything. even the ones that live and come back in body never come back in mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love & Great Sadness
    EnonEmouse