good or bad spirits?

Discussion in 'Animism' started by kayy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. freakon

freakon Member

and, by using the conveniences of some of these corporate companies, we actually are giving away a bit of our soul/energy/freedom/. we think we get something out of them, but in fact they are feeding on us. think about it....

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Like what?

3. freakon

freakon Member

once you realise that life is sacred, then you can try to learn to feel/see what is "inhabited" and by what. Profane or sacred??

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i have not felt strong hostile intent in anything nontangable, only sometimes playfulness and sometimes a kind of not the kind of voracious gragariousness humans supposedly have. more a kind of live and let live innocence that doesn't reject anything that doesn't reject itself.

i don't mean by that to presume to describe, as dominant beliefs often do, what is neither known nor in any literal sense knowable.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. freakon

freakon Member

capitalism is a form of animism, unfortunately..... things =fetishes=consumtion (and look at the BRAND MANIA we have around us, why is that so important? because we think that it will give something more than just the material need)

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

"fetishes" may "= consumerism", but what does EITHER have to do with animism?

this is called playing with words, not honest thoughts.

people with vested perspectives have been known to call other people's medicine 'fetishes', but this still isn't 'animism' as far as i can see.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I now feel dumber having read that.

8. Nimrod's Apprentice

Nimrod's Apprentice Member

For once Heron we have agreed on this. Lol so freakon would you consider shopping then a form of Shamanism?

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when something gives itself to us
    to sustain our existence
    what are we to call it bad
    and not thank it for doing so?

if something motivates us to cause harm
    well harm is harm
    that is the only good and bad that there is

so how can a spirit be good or bad
    any more then you or i can

some may seem mischievous perhapse
    or fun loving
    are any of us so sanctified as to judge that

only each awairness can avoid its own causing harm
    be it visible and solid or something we can see only in our minds

=^^=
    .../\...

10. freakon

freakon Member

spirits can inhabit not only nature (trees, mountains or rocks) but also THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! simple as that. it's not at all the same kind, or with the same "intent" (!), but it is still a kind of spirit....

11. heron

a spirit "inhabiting" something, and something inherantly having a spirit are two different things. And "in the spirit" of something, like a company, is different as well.

12. strawpuppy

strawpuppy Member

13. freakon

freakon Member

well mister heron you can have your beleif, and i can have mine, is that oK? or do we all need to be followers of your path....? well, i have my knowledge, and i respect yours, but you are a bit arrogant, but i think that you are nor actually, just, that your path is far away from mine. and that should be ok?

14. heron

I am arrogant...but that should discredit my views in no way....you have your beliefs....when i have said otherwise??

15. freakon

freakon Member

ok, than leave space to those those small voices aren't that loud as yours..... peace

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i tend to aggree. but when i feel the spiritness of a place, my first reflex is not to attempt to judge which it might be, but rather to appreciate the harmoniousness of and with it. likewise when some creature, or sometimes even machine, behaives calmly in my presence.

that's why i prefer the word and concept of 'spiritness', as i intend it to encompass all of these possibilities without requireing the baggage and assumed judement of and as to either.

i don't know if there's some little invisible guy inhabiting a solid chunk of rock. it's that sense, not even having to be of presence, but of, ach, words fail me, really the best i can come up with is calling it a feeling or sense of spiritness.

and this i feel as a positive thing. not this nonsense as some beliefs do, of trying to put a human or demihuman face on it. you know that's what i see as indiginous traditions, that everything has its own KIND of 'face' not like we have to think of it in terms of how we think of two legged human people.

i mean that's really not how i think of anything nontangable as being, having some sort of fixed paravisable form, let alone resembling our own.

i'm not even convinced our own awirness does that. i think we're all just blobs of spirit energy really, as far as any potentialy perminent parts of ourselves are concerned.

but again a spiritness of place isn't something, some mobile extension or anything like that, seperate and appart from that place itself. not that it couldn't be i suppose, just not that it would have to be either.

likewise of a machine or a creature or anything else.

=^^=
    .../\...