Good books.period.

Discussion in 'Books' started by SurfhipE, May 25, 2004.

1. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

Iain Banks - Whit

Martin Amis - London Fields

Anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Just about anything by David Gemmell

And I gather you're a romantic at heart, so you might fall for the Thomas Hardy classics - Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure or The Mayor of Casterbridge, if only for the Wessex countryside.

2. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

what are those books about?

3. charbono

charbono Member

The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
    to be read in sequence:
    1) The Magician's Nephew
    2) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
    3) The Horse and His Boy
    4) Prince Caspian
    5) Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    6) The Silver Chair
    7) The Last Battle

The Natural Mind - Andrew Weil (non-fiction)

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight - Tom Hartmann (non-fiction)

The Dark Is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper:
    Over Sea, Under Stone
    The Dark Is Rising
    Greenwitch
    The Grey King
    Silver On The Tree

4. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

Some of my favorites are

Sweet Dream Baby -such an amazing book. the summary on the sleeve of the book does it NO justice!!! a really great awesome amazing book!

I know this much is true- I read 800 pages of it in one day (i waited too long i was reading it for school :p) but it's about the bond of these two brothers one is crazy and the other one's struggle through their childhood.

the giver- may be my alltime favorite just because i've read it so many times. i never get bored of it it's such a perfect view on what society can become like

gathering blue- some say sequel to giver, it has another great meaning behind the story!

the good earth- i really enjoyed this book, it's about this old japanese guy who was a farmer then he got all rich off his little farm and everyone honored him and then it has an AMAZING ending! i can't stand his sons :(

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I'm with you on this one. King Rat and Tai-Pan are his other really great ones.

You should also check out Treasure of the Sierra Madre by B. Traven. It is excellent, and so is the movie.

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I read and talk about the classics, but I wish more people did the same.

7. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

for books about going places...

obviously, On The Road takes you across the U.S. with beatnicks.

I read Lost Horizon when I was in seventh grade and its what got me into reading. I'm not sure if it's just for that grade level. I read a lot of things years before I was "supposed" to according to school. It's about a group of people who are in a plane accident and find this wondorous, secret place in Tibet.

I read Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver about a year ago. It ws pretty good, though I don't think guys would enjoy it too much. It's a family that moves to Africa because the father is a priest and is trying to "help" convert the people there. It questions industrialization, religion, and the family unit. Very interesting and involves some historical facts.

Also there's a book that my friend was reading that I kept meaning to have him lend me. I think it was called Trails. It's about a guy who gets drops out and travels around and ends up in Africa. It's a true story, I believe. The way my friend described it, kinda sounded like On The Road, but more recent. I'm not sure who wrote it, but maybe someone here can tell you. I'll try to remember to ask my friend later if you're interested in it.

8. SkyFairy

SkyFairy Member

fast food nation
    reefer madness
    naked lunch (confusing, but good)

9. But is it art?

But is it art? Member

It sounds like you would enjoy Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud, by Sun Shuyun, which i highly recommend.

10. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

I think that's actually what she was talking about. I've read Smack by Melvin Burgess, and that's what it's about.

11. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

But is it art?

It sounds like you would enjoy Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud, by Sun Shuyun, which i highly recommend

What is it about? If it has all those thing's I've mentioned...it sounds like I might :)

12. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. Yep, it's the book they made the film out of, and if you thought THAT was good it ain't nothing compared to this.

The Cement Garden by Ian McEwen

13. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

maryfairy...those books you recommened sound awesome! I'm headin to the library right now :) .............