Gone With the Wind

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by ladydragon282, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Which admirably demonstrates just how institutionally racist the US was and still is, despite laws banning it.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like the book
    Not because it's a great romance novel (it isnt) but because it's a great war novel. I love the way the book depicts the post war scenes; it's all very apocalyptic. And how fucking gritty and self possessed Scarlett was to not only survive it but to make something of herself and to do things women weren't doing back then in order to survive. She's a highly flawed character but a really good character

bluewatersurfer likes this.
  3. sherman march

sherman march Members

I see that Sue Lyon died at age 73 the last week of 2019. Her obit said her last acting credit was in 1980. She is survived by a daughter. Makes me wonder what she did the last 39 years of her life.

4. carpetbagger

carpetbagger Member

Things may have moved on in the West but I only found out from watching Bill Maher s show, how China and the Eastern market is what's holding back black leads in Hollywood movies.
    The East is a massive part of the profits the studios make but won't watch any movie with a black lead.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  5. sherman march

sherman march Members

I have just read the original GWTW by Margaret Mitchell. I had seen the 1939 movie several times over the years. Sometimes I thought it was a very good movie and sometimes I was bored by it. But not until I read the novel did I realize how much the movie changed both the characters and incidents from the book. Now when I see the movie all I can think of is how different/disappointing the movie is from the great novel it is taken from.

6. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

GWTW - Happens every xmas - the effect on the digestive system of sprouts and onion stuffing !!!