Going Vetetarian!! And calling on hippies to keep me in shape ;)

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by LauraMay, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Night_Owl

Night_Owl Member

Yay!! Thanks guys!! I talked my mom into letting me go vegetarian and your links definitely helped!! I'm on... let's see... day 16? Somewhere around there.

I feel alot more alert, and looking back on it, meat makes you really sleepy. Probably some biological reason. Answers? I feel like I'm starting to wake up from a deep slumber I've been in as long as I can remember. It's very confusing, but definitely exciting!

My friends all think I'm crazy. I have a friend named Sarah who's parents are die-hard carnivores, more-so than most people. (her dad works for the meat industry :'( ) And I've told her what animals have to go through before they're put on her plate. She shows concern, most certainly, but she's terrified of breaking free of the system, and even more-so, her parents. My other friends feel the same way, but again, are afraid of of defying the norm. Help?

I also have this other friend who is already a vegetarian, but she's so dang picky, she complains every day about the lack of choices in our school menu. I agree, there aren't ANY vegetarian options, but I just told her she has to be creative. She's a pessimist ho likes to make everyone around her miserable, and while I love her to death, it is very conflicting with my happy, peaceful way of thinking. I've been eating school lunches for the past two weeks, and I've been able to fix whatever they dish out to meet my needs. (mostly just picking out the meat, do you know how many pepperonies there are in school pizza? Yeesh!) And she just sits there and complains. It is driving me insane!! Any help?

But I'm very much enjoying the switch. I'm not a vegan, but I am a full vegetarian, meaning I've cut out ALL meat. I've heard of vegetarians who eat seafood, but I kind of look at that and think,"Fish counts as meat too, they have feelings just like all animals!" I actually said that at the lunch table when someone asked me if I ate fish, and I also said that you aren't a real vegetarian if you still ate seafood. Unfortunately, turns out my "vegetarian" friend eats seafood, and I got a long stream of why fish can't feel anything, and a bunch of nasty comments that weren't backed up by fact. I wasn't really all that bothered though. You kind of have to expect that with Payge. DX

Thanks guys for your support! It's helped me find myself a little more! :)

P.S. Sorry to all you vegetarians out there who do eat seafood, I was just putting my beliefs out there! I didn't mean to be offensive to you in any way!!

2. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

:party:

I've survived two months and almost 10 days :D

3. mmg

mmg fish out of water

I absolutely survive on peanut butter or sunflower seed butter and banana sandwiches.... or sometimes with strawberries. and i take mushrooms and carrots and cucumbers and chop em up then mix with vinaigrette dressing! this is a very tasty lunch!

4. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

Way to go laura, it will be 3 months tomorrow since I've last eaten meat. I try to avoid all prepackaged foods nowadays and try to make my own stuff from fresh fruits and veggies ( I rarely will even eat canned veggies anymore). I still eat prepacked breads though as I just don't have time to make my own breads or pastas from scratch. I did have one slight slip about 2 weeks into my veg diet when I ate a handful of gummy bears without reading the label first (they contain gelatin) but live and learn. I never stopped counting from the first day as a few gummy bears seamed silly for me to do that, since there are quite a few vegetarians that still don't count fish although I do. When people ask if I eat fish I ask them to put fish in one of the 3 main categories; animal, plant, or mineral. They always answer animal and I just smile and nod at them.

I like to look online for new veggie or vegan recipes and any that sound good to me and have good reviews (espesially if from omni's), I copy and paste into my recipe folder and like to try a new recipe every week. This adds a lot to what I eat now that I wouldn't have tried beforehand, but it gives me a larger idea of how to think out of the box and get away from alot of foods that I have made all my life but just now omit the ground beef. I also like to ask long term veggies for hints when I find out that they are also veggies. I just learned that there is one vegan restaurant in my city from a guy that I've known for a month or so, but didn't know he was a vegetarian till he told me yesterday that he hasn't eaten meat in almost 10 years. It's now one my restaurant list to try out. Good luck with your endeaver.

5. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

Sorry to bump but..

Over five years now :D my meat eating days feel like a past life!

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh you'reLaura!
    Cool.

7. odonII

odonII O

Well done.

8. odonII

odonII O

9. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

I haven't noticed til now! Trust you to pick that up odon haha.

Hi Piaf :p

10. odonII

odonII O

:p maybe you were thinking of being a vet at the time :p

Seriously, congrats...

... :)

11. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

Or perhaps a diet consisting of vets....

12. odonII

odonII O

*chuckle*

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI

13. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

The link isn't working for me

14. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

So do you still eat that processed soy junk?

15. odonII

odonII O

It was

[​IMG]

16. odonII

odonII O

Yes, and heating it up in her microwave. And?

17. odonII

odonII O

18. Le Aura

Le Aura Member

I was looking at that in the beginning posts actually! I don't remember eating so much non meat meat. I think maybe it helps the transition to vegetarian? I'm not a fan of substitutes anymore.

19. Coleco

Coleco Member

Im not a vegetarian but I love that processed soy junk! =P Tis yummy!

20. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I think it helps. Kind of works as a placeholder until you learn to make a wider variety of vegetarian food.