Going to San Francisco for our honey moon! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Lemur24, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Lemur24

Lemur24 Member

Hello folks! My good friend Gabbee and I are planning a road trip to San Francisco in September after the Shannon Hoon vigil.. We are going to Haight street to be exact!! However, we don't know the area and need some help. We couldn't think of a better place to ask for some advice as to where to stay, what to see, where to go, where to stay away from, etc... It's going to be our first time there and we want to make it perfect... so please help us out!! :D Oh!! We are also getting married and plan to live happily ever after... you're all invited to the wedding!! ;) Hahaha

PS: Sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong section.. I'm a foreign kid who don't know shit! :rolleyes: LMAO Gabby is the brains in this relationship... HAHA

2. Gabbee

Gabbee Member

hahaha Nata I love you to pieces, but not THAT way! hahaha >:D<

Seriously folks, if you could help us it would be much appreciated, we found out it would be cheaper to fly from Indianapolis than take a bus or a train and well, though I'd actually rather drive and enjoy the ride, we just have to shoot for the cheapest.
    Any tips would be good from where to stay to what to see and where to stay away from... We wanna see good shops, good people and hear good music... Is that still possible? Also what would be a good place to stay (good not as in fancy but as in simple, close and cheap)

>:D< much love to all

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Umm... Strawberry Fields Forever is In San Fran... she'll probably be around sometime tomorrow. [​IMG]

Check out Fairtex. [​IMG]

4. Lemur24

Lemur24 Member

Hahaha!! You know I love men... come on haha .. :p I love you too, Gabster!! But I just had to embarrass you (just like you and Kiwi always embarrass me with you dirty stories on the patch)... Anyway, this trip is going to be amazing! I can hardly wait! :)

"If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair... tralalala..." *Nata gives gabby a twirl* LOL :)

5. goldmund

goldmund Member

There are many good shops, many cheesy ones as well. To be honest, a lot of the "hippy" shops are a little too nostalgic. Just walk around. It's Upper Haight, between Yerba Buena (?) park and where the street runs into Golden Gate Park that all of the good shops are located. If you're in the area, Telegraph and College Ave. in Berkeley are a little better. Santa Cruz is also an excellent place to enjoy a honeymoon, see live music, etc. I will write more soon, I gotta get going. Check out Jambase.com for information on live shows in the areas you want to go and the dates you'll be visiting.

How long do you plan to stay? What time of year are you going?

6. Gabbee

Gabbee Member

Hey thank you guys for ur replies. As for the time we'll spend there, we're not sure yet, like we said we'll be coming from Indiana (we'll be attending the Shannon Hoon Annual vigil which will be held on Sept 24th and then hanging around town for a couple more days) and only then leaving to CA, but it should be probably late Sept/early Oct. Im sure the best time would probably be the summer, but oh well. We probably wont be able to spend much time considering accomodation is expensive and all... maybe 5 days? I dont even know...
    Oh yeah just to clarify, the whole honey moon/wedding thing is a joke... hehehe we're just good friends! lol Nata is just a silly DORK!
    Thanks again and much love <3

7. Lemur24

Lemur24 Member

Thanks Lodui! I will be looking for her tomorrow! :)

And goldmund, you're great! You have no idea how much you've just helped us! :) We are staying there for 5-7 days or so... BTW, the honeymoon thing was just a joke.. hehehe *blushes* Gabby and I are just great friends and we both like guys.. I feel bad now.. :p haha

Okie.. I've embarrassed myself enough for one night... I should leave now for my own sake... Haha

Peace!!

8. goldmund

goldmund Member

ha! well if you were on a honeymoon, sf would be a great place for you young lesbian lovas :) anyways, there are a bunch of things going on that time of year, depending on what you are into. Reggae in the Park, the Hardely Bluegrass Festival, and (dare I say it) the Exotic Erotic Ball (wild! Digital Underground played there last year)--perfect for honeymooners--are all around that time.
    San Francisco and the Bay Area can be a crazy fun place. Try to meet some more people here online, or once you get there, that could show you how its done! You might not even have to pay for a hotel, and younger people are more than happy to do it for guests.

If you're looking for hippy meltdown, check out Santa Cruz, much more laid back, excellent music and beach scene, a little on the trendy side, but still a great place. Only 1 hour away from SF on HWY 1 and hotels are cheaper that time of year. A great mix between N. and S.California culture and close to Big Sur, one of the most beautiful places on the West Coast.

Also, If you are into outdoors stuff, there is some EXCELLENT hiking and views of the entire bay area in Marin Co. Check out Mt. Tamalpias, and the surround area/beaches--absolutely amazing!!!

Another good place to go if you're in Berkeley (also a bit cheaper than SF, and a great university town) is up Marin St. to Tilden Park. The road (you can take an AC Transit Bus) shoots almost a mile straight to the top of the mountain ring that surronds the bay. Only costs about $1. There is also excellent, and cheap!, food/beer in Berkeley all around the university and just north/north-west of the campus. Great people, excellent hippie-intellectual hang out, coffee shops, etc. Berkeley is also home to Pyramid Ales Brewery, which has an excellent food/beer menu, and sometimes live music. You can get to Berkeley by taking BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from downtown SF to Berkeley for about $3 (may have gone up).

One last quick note, I know it may sound touristy, but you might want to get some dank nugs and head up north to Sonoma/Napa Co. Start your morning off in either Sebastopol (old school hippie town, now trendy, still very progressive) or Healdsburg, grab a bite to eat at anyone of the moderately priced dellies or breakfast dinners. Some of the best California cuisine is up here. Next go to a store, by some gourmet chocolates and some good snack food, light up a spliff, and hit up the "Dry Creek Valley" home to some of the best wine in the world, literally. If you don't think you like wine, go up there, I gauruntee you will change your mind. Besides, it's free and often the wineries are owned and operated by older hippies/yuppies. It's also incredibly beautiful.

Next, head over to Anderson Valley for some more wine (the cabernets are better here, Zinfindels better in Dry Creek) and finish up with a relaxing hot spring experience ($7) and dinner in Calistoga. It sounds extravagant, and it is :), but it is also suprizingly cheap. Again, if you meet some cool people in SF, etc., you might twist their arm to take you up there. It is also only an hour away, and most bay area locals enjoy doing it a few times a year. A few hippies might scoff at going, but trust me its worth it. Don't taste wine in Napa Valley. Very expenisive and touristy.

Sorry for such a long post, but I love that area, grew up there, and miss it very much. If I still lived there, I would show you everything myself. I am certain there are others who will do the same.

Good luck, have a great time! Let me know if you have any questions.

9. goldmund

goldmund Member

I forgot to mention one last thing :) . Definately check out Bolinas and Fairfax if you make it to Marin. Bolinas is a small hippy beach town, Fairfax is in the heart of Marin, where many hippies settled down after they moved from the Haight, great little downtown area.

Let me know if you want more info on anything that sounded interesting. (I can go up into Humboldt and Medocino too, if interested). Okay, I am done.

10. goldmund

goldmund Member

Damn it!!! I forgot to mention the Power to the Peaceful fest in Sept (usually excellent jam bands) and the Folsom Street Fair, also in late Sept., huge gay/lesbian street bash, but heteros love to go and get down.

11. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

And Spearhead performs there every year too... I'm going to this one.

12. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

Looks like Goldmund has covered it pretty well. :).. so I'll just add some places to avoid. The Mission District is kinda seedy as is The T.L. ( tenderloin district).
    If your in to clubs North Beach is club row, China Town is cool with all the shop and chinese people darting around like busy bees. It's also a den of eniquity so be careful. The Haight has become buswua and commercial, more of a tourist trap. There are still some activity at Buena Vista Park and up on the Avenues I hear.
    My son's dad still lived there till 02' when he died in a suspicious way, in a resturant on Stanyon. I forget the name of the place, but Cliff and I use to go there alot in the late 60's and eairly 70's. If he was still going there in 02' it must of still been rockin'.

I send you brightest blessings on your travels. Learn as much as you can and enjoy.

13. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

Ooooook,
    This is too much!...lol
    I'm good friends with Gabbee and Nata...and I'll be with them at the Vigil and then I'm taking off with them to San Francisco!!!!
    Party time!!!!!
    But I'm pretty sure (more than sure!!!) we love men!:p

Gabbee, like I said...it all depends on work...
    If I get fired from NBC in June then I'll go..
    If I get re-hired...I don't know how many days I'll be able to take off!

Vigil 2005!!!!!!

Love and Blind Melon

Fer:sunglasse

14. goldmund

goldmund Member

I am soooo sorry. I had way too much coffee this morning.