Going from vegan to vegetarian

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by metalgypsy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

Has anyone else done it? How did you do it? And which diet do you prefer, honestly?

2. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Hiya,

Yep I went from having been vegan for 3 years back to veg recently (well, I started eating eggs again-I cant and dont want to consume dairy)

I prefer my diet with the eggs added because the new opportunities and variety. We get them from a local free range farmer and weve met the chickens, which is great

I just gradually introduced it again

3. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

When I quit being vegan, I never had a problem transitioning back to anything but milk, honestly. I can't drink the stuff anymore without repercussions, and I have a very strong stomach. Cheese is okay in reasonable quantities, as is yogurt, cream sauces, etc, but there's something about milk that throws my stomach right off and makes my throat fill up with gunk...
    Gross, yeah? I thought so too. So go slow. Find out what you can tolerate and what you can't. The longer you've been away from dairy, the harder it will be for your body to tolerate it. Over time, it could get used to it again, but really it's a good idea to limit it anyway...

4. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

Thanks for the advice.

I still don't think I'd want to eat eggs, cause I don't live anywhere where I could see the farm where chickens live. Lately, I've just been adding bits of (organic) cheese back into my diet because...I honestly don't know. I just felt like I needed it.

5. Yelly

Yelly Member

I was vegan for the better part of three years, and I just recently went back to eating cheese, etc. My stomach hated me for a while, but my boyfriend is an omnivore and we live together and that's just the way it is. /sigh

6. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

That's kind of how I feel. It's too inconvenient to be vegan right now. I'm not trying to make excuses, it's a decision I made that I'm happy with. I went vegan to get healthier, and I've kind of hit a standstill, so I'm starting to add organic dairy in my diet and I feel more satisfied.

7. doghairshirt

doghairshirt Member

I've done it. I miss CHEESE!

8. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I went from vegan to vegetarian before...

I'm a vegan now, because that is what I prefer... When I went back to just being a plain ol' vegetarian, I felt guilty with every bite of cheese I took, honestly. But it's all a personal thing.... My best friend is a vegetarian, she's tried the vegan lifestyle, and decided it's just not suitable for her.

I'm prone to being careless about food at times, which is why I enjoy being vegan...it gives me a little more structure, helps me pay closer to attention what I'm putting in my body, aside from the guilt/animal factor.

I also went back to vegan because I just didn't want to support the same companies that harm and kill animals..

But in response to the OP, going from vegan to veggie, I don't think was really physically hard or anything. My taste buds had to re-adapt a little... but it didn't take much. I think it's more a mind over matter thing anyway. I think being vegan I kind of train myself to dislike the taste of dairy, eggs, etc. haha

9. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

i was a hardcore vegan. i experimented with my diet a lot and now getting close to a whole foods diet which will include meat w/organic, humane practice. yes i argue for now it can be humane but i'm still debating myself over it.

vegan was very restrictive. reliant on processed foods. yeah an organic whole food vegan diet would be lovely but not if you're broke and/or highly active. i choose whole, organic, safe, healthy over anything less, i just do it within my financial means.

10. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

reliant on processed foods?

I dunno about that... but I guess everyone does it differently.

11. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

i guess i should've been specific, depending on the type of diet you want/require in addition to veganism, it's harder or more expensive to do
    so you're right

12. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

yeah it does depend on the way you want to go about it, that's very true. I was just curious about what you meant, because I loooathe processed foods and I thought you were implying that it was difficult to be vegan without them.

cheers :cheers2:

13. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

no prob :cheers2: :)

14. Yelly

Yelly Member

I find that, if you aren't searching meat REPLACERS, a vegan diet can be cheaper and more healthy. Stock up at the farmer's market on in-season veggies and fruits and shop the bulk bin at a health food food store for the grains. Desserts are so easy to make at home, I'm not even going to go into it.

15. KomatsuQueen75

KomatsuQueen75 Member

I agree here. I too, was a hardcore vegan, but I found it too restrictive, also. I'm lacto-veg now. I just slowly added cheese back into my diet. I still don't eat eggs (unless they were hiden in my food or something), but I mainly eat cheese (no milk).