god, life is so hard

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by marquee, May 21, 2004.

1. marquee

marquee Member

I fucking hate having to go to school every damn day and sit there while they shove information down my throat. I only get to live once and its the law to waste half of it in schools. My only escape is getting high but now that I do it so often im always scared my parents will find out, I can't stand it.

I wish I had the guts to just drop out. I know I'd be content playing in a band making enough money to eat and get high. But instead society has to make me feel like im a failure unless i sacrifice 12 years of my life to listening to unsatisfied, fat, middle aged men and women who call themselves teachers. I can't believe im only in grade 9 and I have so far to go before I can be on my own, free from the prison of florescent lighting and those lameass chair/table/desk things.

Why do I waste so much time studying if I get no results? School really makes life terrible. Why does our society put enlightenment before happiness? I'm sorry this is off topic but I just smoked a joint and I'm still pissed off at everything... I felt i needed to let off some steam.

2. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

Don't get too down on yourself man. I don't know you or your situation in life, but I would say definitely stick through high school. If you ever plan on getting a job you're gonna need it. Just keep looking ahead at how great it'll be once your done with it.

3. SagaciosuKJB

SagaciosuKJB Member

That's one of the most untrue and overused things I've ever heard. You don't need to stay in high school to get a job. You might need to stay in high school if you want a career in a high ranking profession; but, if you simply want to have a job that pays enough for necessities and one or two luxuaires, then you don't. I know quite a few peolpe who dropped out, went to a skill center, and now work jobs; the smallest salary of all them bing $28 an hour.

Anyway, I know what you mean, marquee. As to your question why society puts enlightenment before happiness? It's pretty simple: If everyone did nothing but things to make them happy, then our society, and our civilizations would crumble nothing. There's room for a few people that have realized how pointless some things are to live in happiness, but we still need to have the other pawns to keep everything in tact.

Just do what you want to do in life, not what someone else tells you you need to do to succeed. Succeeding has different definitions for everyone, thus it must have a different means for everyone else, too.

Peace.

4. Vicar_in_a_Tutu

Vicar_in_a_Tutu Member

Fuck school. Run away, and do what you want to do.

5. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Do what you will man. But while there are exceptions, by and large you'll need a high school diploma to get any sort of job that doesn't suck. When I worked part-time at a fast-food restaurant, a good number of my co-workers were people who had no high school diploma and instead had a GED or something. And personally, I hated working fast food. I hate routine and menial jobs. If you want to avoid that, I seriously would recommend staying in high school, unless you have a ton of confidence in your ability to make a living as a musician. Besides, you already have gone through nine years of school. There're only three more to go, it won't be too long. And senior year is a breeze.

6. Lady_Pink_Floyd

Lady_Pink_Floyd Member

I have the same feeling, I've always wanted to drop out because i feel its a waste of time. i'd love to just get my band out there and known, and become famous....but, im now graduating in 10 days...and i made it....
    it sucked, and i'm surprised i made it, it was a bumpy ride, but i did...

now my band is focusing on things, and working all around Toronto. So, things are working out, and I'm sure as you get older, it will also work out for you.

peace!

7. emublazin

emublazin Member

yea school is worth it. I hated school and now i'm in my 2nd year of college. You need a education to get a good job, its bad enough you smoke weed but smoking weed with no diploma makes it hard as hell to get a okay job let alone a career. So stick it out and guaranteed it will prove useful later in life.

8. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

get over it....things could be a lot worse....

9. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

American schools are designed to hold graduates back. If high schools pumped out people ready for the job market, it would be devestating to the economy we have set up.

Students don't need to waste time memorizing states and capitals, lists of presidents. Thats all stuff that we can look up if we need it. And thats all stuff that we barely (if at all) remember anyways. High School students are perfectly capable of learning anything that College students learn.

I graduated top of my class, with honors...and it was all such a waste of time. And regardless of how well I did in school, I couldn't get any better job than McDonalds. That's what America wants out of schools, they don't want kids coming straight out of school stealing their jobs...so they make us finish high school, and have to go to college before we can start taking away jobs. Until then we are happy enough to let the kids do the jobs adults don't want. So what do we do? Give them years of busywork (memorizing lists, dates, presidents, etc...) to keep kids in school for as long as possible.

Marquee...we aren't putting enlightenment in front of happiness, its just the opposite. We are putting happiness in front of enlightment, and it holds our children back.

Just remember to not lose all motivation. Don't lose interest in everything, just because the school system is pounding it out of you. Seek out REAL knoweldge on your own. Actually, some good reading I could suggest is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn...i think it will address a lot of your frustrations with the school system.

10. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I had a great friend once. He was very knowledgable and gave me a many good advise. He always did very well in school too. Straight A's in all classed. This kid was also the kid who started smoking pot in seventh grade and was one of the biggest potheads in our school.

I asked for help in school. More specifically, how to enjoy school more. he said what you make of school is what you get. If you have a positive attitude toward school, it will be more enjoyable. However, if you have a negative attitude toward school, it can very easily seem un-enjoyable for you. he was a very smart man.

-Peace (and Love) :).

11. reef

reef Member

don't look at everything in such a negative way. cause if you do, your only gonna get negative outcomes. take high school for what it is.. a stepping stone to a future. if you wanna drop out play in a band, then that's another future. whose to say besides you what future is right? society? parents? the law?

do what is right. listen to advice, but know when people are talking bs.

12. white ginger

white ginger Senior Member

I tihnk all of you need to re-read Sera Michelle's post. Think about it.

13. aesther

aesther Member

"Seek out REAL knoweldge on your own. "

- Sara Michelle is correct.

14. WeeDMaN

WeeDMaN a pothead

I know how u feel, my grades are shitty, I hate skewl and can barely stand it. But I have skipped so much this year I got in serios shit. But I am trying to get my grades up and I only have 16 days of skewl left I think.

15. Velouria

Velouria Member

I hated school too. But, I still made good grades just in case...I mean I had nothing to lose by it. My goal in life is to sing and play in a famous band, but I'm still going to college. It can't be all that bad since I can actually study what I want to. Plus it's another 4 years of living off of my parents money. Anyway, I agree with the person who said to seek out real knowledge on your own. That's what I do. I know most of the work in high school was bullshit so I read and learned important stuff on my own. I know lot's of people who dropped out and they regret it. It may seem long but 4 years goes by fast and you have nothing to lose by sticking through it.

16. Tamee

Tamee naked

Drop out and get into Interest-Driven learning. like homeschooling, only you learn what you're interested in. AND you can graduate like this. The best way of education I've ever heard of.

17. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

You should take a walk by yourself in the woods or something. Give yourself time to contemplate all of this. Just look forward to the weekend.

18. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Ah, yes...there's always the weekend :D

19. SoFarAway

SoFarAway Friendly Fried Guy

It only gets better.
    I left high school myself, halfway through my freshman year. My parents and I decided I would do better homeschooled, because I have an anxiety disorder and depression problems. So far it has actually benefitted me more than it ever hurt me. I got my HSED(GED+other shit) and I work a decent paying office job, granted the job is under my potenetial. But I'm going back to school for Music Theory, Production & Recording. But being homeschooled has never set me back one bit.

It does take a hit on your social world... but you learn how to get out with your friends regaurdless...

There's my 2 cents..

20. Lanstar Zero

Lanstar Zero Member

Where are you going to school. I went to audio engineering school and am working at a studio now (and also have a little basement studio = sig).