God isn't dead he just doesn't give a fuck!!!

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Tradere, May 29, 2004.

?

Is there a God?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Agnostic Don't know Don't care

37 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Occam will not answer your poll
    It means nothing.

Occam

2. John221

John221 Senior Member

I voted "no," though the question was rather equivocal; if I am a Buddhist who doesn't believe in a creator God, does belief in Nirvana still count as belief in a God-like being?

3. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

You can say yes you believe.
    Or no, you do not.

But by the standards that you and us all define what is real.
    We are real.
    trees are real.
    the sky, the moon the earth beneath us.
    IS real.
    That the earth draws us ...gravity.
    That there is light and near light,, radio, all seeing light ,, Xrays.
    The ultimate light. neutrinos.

that others exist. is real..we love them or dont know them..
    some hate ,, some fear them..

All this is real BY WHAT STANDARD?

Think of that.. Then think of the description of god that human religion has proposed.
    Occam sees NOTHING that is real, by the same sandards that Yourself or your life is real, that matches that description.

Occam

4. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

God has not shown his/her/it self to me. I like the term Spirit more than God, cuz it is more generic. I am not an atheist, and am impartial to religions, feeling deeply that if Spirit exists, ones faith, or lack of faith, is irrelevent. No particular faith is the 'right' one. If that turns out to be dead wrong, I am eager to learn so, and if my eternal damnation to hell is the price of my firm position that Christianity and Wicca are no closer to Spirit than Atheism or Animism are, that is the way it goes. I sure hope not...
    I would never consider allowing my sins to be paid for by anyone but me, and if some Deity wants me to dump the burden of their payment onto their shoulders, I highly doubt I would do so... the reason that would make me shirk my responsibility to take the lumps for my choices by letting another take the fall in my place would have to be really good to change my mind. I can't see it happening.
    What is real? Only I know that... for me.
    For you, I have no clue, never will, and only you know that, for you.
    Nobody knows whats real for anyone else... That is my firm belief.
    I respect others' beliefs and accept them as being as real as my own.
    Reality, imho, is not temporary, but infinite, so to me, trees, mountains, galaxies, my left eye, and electrons, are all illusions. The only true reality, in my view, at present, is spirit. By spirit I mean the quality I believe we all have at our core, that is being contained for a while within this fragile vessel called a body. The reason why...... beats the heck out of me. To learn, maybe? To have fun? To carry out some particular role in a giant cosmic process beyond human comprehension? That sounds good, and when we have done that task, our reward is that we get to die. And until it is done, we cannot die. We are all equal players, free, and good, needed and connected, to Spirit, and each other. All one, and it will all work out, we just can't see that from our limited viewpoint, but I am hoping that after I croak, I will get to learn a bit more about what the heck is going on. If not, and I am just as ignorant as now, oh well, no biggie, its all good.
    I don't know much, but I sure do know a huge number of questions that I still have not got a definitive answer for. So, if Spirit exists, and hears prayers, I pray that I do not leave this life and planet without my presence here having made a positive impact. The campers creed, leave the site better than you found it. If I manage do that, I will be content.

5. SpiritualExcess

SpiritualExcess Member

lol I'm so high. When I first read the title of the thread I thought it read "God's not dead, he's just stopped returning your calls"

anyway, yah lol i believe in God

6. SpiritualExcess

SpiritualExcess Member

Dude, I think it depends on what school of Buddhism you are. If you're anything but Theravada I'd say yah it counts. Though even in the Pali Canon Buddha never says there are no Gods, just that they can't help you in your search for enlightenment.

7. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

i really don't understand why everyone must constantly insist on believeing in any "god" entity at all.

it seems like it's taking sooo fucking long for people to get out of it.

however, i am only agnostic about it all cuz how can we really tell, of course... and totally believeing one way or another registers as absured or paranoid and afraid, to me.

8. Hyperstar

Hyperstar Member

What do you believe in for certain synaptic aether, is there anything at all?

9. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

/em hug(((Hyperstar)))

hopefully not[​IMG]

10. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

What is certain..?
    Hmmmm[​IMG]

No-one can prove they dont exist.
    For in the attempt, the prove they do.

Occam

11. BlackGuardXIII

I must share my slightly different conclusions regarding faith. I do not insist on believing, I have come to the conclusion that Spirit is very real, to me. If not to others, then they live in a different reality, which I support as being just as real as mine. I didn't feel this way most of my life, so in my case, it took me a long time to get in to it.... lol. I am not a big fan of facts, so I have few things I 'totally' believe. But I assure you I am not afraid in the least, far from paranoid, and pretty sure my critically thought out, analytically deduced views are not absurd. They may sound that way to others, but they are logical to me.

12. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Blackguard.

There is fact, then there is fantasy
    Occam knows this because reading sections are labeled this way.
    Fact and fantasy.
    If you dont like fact, then fantasy is the way.
    There are some cool fantasy books.

Occam thinks kings gunslinger series beter than that boring other fantasy,
    the bible.

Occam

13. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

fact or fantasy?

i prefer factasy
    or maybe fanct

14. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

And you believe the labels? Whooo...

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

earth, our entire solar system of which our earth is a part, is one very small grain of sand, on one beach of one ocean that we know to have many beaches, and for all we know there may very well be other oceans as well.

it is one thing to experience nontangable companionship. it is quite another to immagine it to begin and end with what we think we know about it.

what i feel is one kind of reality, what lots of people can observe and aggree upon by their own riggorously detatched observation is one kind of reality.

what makes no sense is for someone to expect what they believe to be greater then themselves to begin and end with what they, or anyone else, or any many anyone elses, think they know about it.

if you had as many children as earth has humans, multiplied by all the worlds that might have tangable sentient people, could you keep them all from scraping their knees? or would you not simply have to resign yourself, that no mater how omnipotent or omniscient you might be, knees are going to get scraped?

i think it's good to have nontangable friends just like it's good to have tangable ones, but however sincere and well meaning a friend is, or even how powerful and capable, there's realisticly only so much anyone can do for anyone. especialy when their tangable frends demand and expect conflicting and contradictory myricles.

16. BlackGuardXIII

I haven't read any of King's novels, though the film adaptations are pretty good, I've seen over a dozen of them. I read maybe one novel for every 50 non-fiction books I read, and the novels I do read are not in King's genre. Michener and Marquez are more my taste. For fantasy, I have read Frank Herbert and J.R.R. Tolkien.
    I should have said I have found that many of the facts I've read upon further study were not facts at all. The thing I don't like about facts is they often aren't.

17. Destro_the_punk

Destro_the_punk Member

I killed god in the first dream i had In 2005
    seemed real enough to me.
    Is there a god? no. he died in January 2005 when i blasted him with my inner self. End of debate

18. boredhead

boredhead Member

His last name is Simmons...

Actually I think people attempt to prove the existence of a God to try and fill the gaps that science hasn't. When I first started thinking about the nature of the universe it all seemed so vast and impossible that it was so easy to just fill this massive lack of understanding with God. After reading quite a bit of stuff on the matter I've realised that science has apparently fairly well filled this gap.

There are still a lot of things science can't answer for. There are various paired particles of an atom, which react dependently to one another. Experiments have actually been done taking one particle something like 13 metres away from the other. Even at this distance when one of these subatomic particles is affected, the other shows mirroring effects.. or something like that.

Anyway, when I first read this it was so easy to go "Look, see, Einstein was wrong!!. The theory of relativity doesn’t answer for everything, this must mean there's a God" But of course that's a would be an argument entirely based on the statement "but you don't know either". It just seems naive to believe that just because science know then it must be the work of God. We just haven't figured it all out yet...

19. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Kharakov

Cant believe anyone actually missed that small joke.
    But u did.

Occam

20. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Blackguard

Occam is an Speculative Fiction Junkie. [many thousands of works read]

Have read MUCH history and works on contemporary geopolitics
    and statecraft.
    Look at lord of the rings.
    Replace the orks, goblins and such with combat troops
    Ents and hill trolls with tanks.
    The magic with science.
    And you have a tight analogue to much of human history
    if your looking at how the states of middle earth act and react.

As to facts.
    Well, let us use the example of hydrogen fusion.
    in 1800 it was not a fact.
    in 1900 it was a good theory
    In 2000 it was something we could reproduce for a a VERY short time
    both in bombs and experimental reactors.
    Thus becomming a 'fact' [ we could reproduce it..every time.]

Yah.. a hard science example... When we start talking about the 'facts'
    of history .. all that 'verification' goes out the window.

Occam