God isn't dead he just doesn't give a fuck!!!

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Tradere, May 29, 2004.

?

Is there a God?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Agnostic Don't know Don't care

37 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Tradere

Tradere Member

Known to some as "The Ballad of Lost Souls," this novel is a supernatural psychoanalytic journey into the mind of a confused psychiatrist. When the doctor suspects something may be very wrong with his new patient, he is forced to take an introspective look at his own life. After several sadistic sessions, he starts questioning his own sanity. Now he is running from the fearful present, away from the truth and into this strange and morbid tale that explores the meaning of life and the existence of god.

Free Preview

Plague of the Invigilare

THE DOCTOR

The world is full of tortured souls. I know, because I am one of them. We don’t sleep, we never dream. We’re full of pain, but not in any physical sense. The agony we suffer is far more intense than any of those minor scrapes or backaches, even beyond all that emotional anguish you feel of losing someone you love. The pain I make reference to is our birth, our existence, our life. Life on this brutal planet will often strip you of every reason there is to live, without any rationale or logic. We’ve all felt it.

I did not always feel this way, I used to believe in a crucified savior or some kind of deity that rewards you for doing good by sending you to paradise, but now, I know it’s not worth it. Good, what is that anyway? As if it were a definable term that actually meant something. As if you could measure it on a scale and it were not based on a wide range of human relativity. Goodness, a connotation brought to you by the same preachers who claim you‘ll be dropped into a fiery pit and barbequed, like your dinner last night. Believe in it. Don’t believe in it. Believe in yourself, or whatever gets you through the day. If you believe in Jesus, does he exist? I think so.

Understand I don’t have all of the answers and if you’re looking for hope, you’ll find none of that here. The only thing I have to offer you is the truth, which is more than you’ll get from some ravenous minister, or your significant other, who sneaks things past you when your eyes are shut. For I know things...

...I met this scraggly fellow once in this Club Amnesia, in New York City, who swore on my life that he was Jesus Christ incarnate. The savior of millions hanging out in a dance club at three o’clock in the morning, getting hammered out of his mind. I asked the lord, "If you’re Jesus Christ, what are you doing in this bar getting shit-faced, shouldn’t you be out helping people?" He stared into my eyes with an iconoclastic smile, at a loss for words. Finally the former incarnate shrugged, as he had nothing witty to reply, which shocked me, the ignorance of it all. Most people don’t even know the history of their religion. If he were an educated man, he might have known that Jesus immersed himself around sin. He was constantly hanging around taverns and drunks, preaching. That’s how he met the apostles; they were drunks...

...Not knowing...that’s what plagues us, confuses us, drives us to a dark place. Your heart, my soul, and the illusions, which cover us from seeing what most cannot tolerate. That is where we reside: living, dying, thinking there is a purpose to it, thinking you will rise out of the darkness into the light. For all of you that believe this, there is sad news.

There is no light, but if there were one, I would hold the lantern...

...The idea that I’m an alcoholic, a hypocrite, mentally unstable, and an alienist, does change the truth: Hell, Jesus was three out of four of those and millions of people follow him everyday, two thousands years later. I’m not asking you to follow me, or anything remotely crazy like that...

...And I would never ask you to think for yourself, because god willing, we’d all be atheists, stranded in purgatory, searching for the meaning of life...

...While enjoying cocktails in Venice Beach, California, I had the pleasure of bumping into a man who insisted he had been Jim Morrison in a former life. Not quite as historically important as the Christ, but Jim had indisputable physical evidence to support his theory. First there was the uncanny resemblance between him and the Lizard King, especially in the eyes.

"Eyes are the windows to the soul," Jim explained.

There was also the fact he had been born the day after his former incarnation had past away: July 4, 1971. He showed me the birth date on his driver’s license. He also predicted he would be famous and die young; I guess some reccurring souls never learn...

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?q3=Pclfy2QWWo4%253d

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

no, god is dead.
    like i said
    i killed him with my head

3. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

Is there a God?

Define "God."

4. Zion

Zion Member

Castles made of sand slips into to the sea iventually" Jimi Hendrix
    This is said ionr reference to the inevitible conitience of Gods system. The sun, death, Life, hope, Self-suffering.

5. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

God is dead
    And no one cares
    If there is a hell
    I'll see you there

gotta love Trent Reznor

6. zeppelinhippie89

zeppelinhippie89 Member

There never was a god, and there will never be one

7. joker

joker Senior Member

If there is a god. Can he/she have an orgasm?

8. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

You've all heard the old one...?

Can god make a stone he cannot lift?

The answer is yes...
    He makes it in space..
    theres nothing to 'lift' it off.
    Thus he cannot lift it.

Occam ;)

9. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

but wouldn't it be interesting if:
    "there never was a god, but one day will be one."?

No God, then,
    *BAM!*
    God exists.

10. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Zepplin.

How do you know this?
    You little flesh bag that thinks it knows what goes on in a universe 30 billion lightyears from side to side.

There may not be a 'god of religion'..for their stories are but for kiddies.
    And like winnie the pooh they may not be real.

But there MAY BE DIRECTION.

Occam.

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I've been doing a lot of gardening lately...and I can't get the idea out of my head that plants are intelligent.
    If this were true, I don't think it would be too great a leap to assume that there is some sort of "higher intelligence" out there -- whatever it might be.

12. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

kilgore,
    so maybe plants are 'intelligent' - i assume you mean thinking, self aware? - and maybe they are not. i don't think it's a necessary prerequisite for the possibility of a higher intelligence. :D

i have a feeling i'm going to be looking at my broccoli a little suspiciously at tonight's dinner table.

ha ha

sophia

13. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

I like some gooey female plants. mmmmhhh... gooey female....

14. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

I don't believe there is a "god". I believe there is an indifferent force that created us, and left us to evolve. Furthermore, I feel this force has no intentions or apprehension.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I just hope it doesn't look back at you. :)

I'm down with Darwin. His theory certainly makes perfect sense. But sometimes nature seems too perfect to be random. I was thinking about trees that make little balls of sap to attract ants, which in turn move in and protect the tree from other predators. it just seems like such a smart thing for the tree to do. It's hard to imagine why it would happen randomly.

16. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I don't believe that anyone knows the truth, but that it is impossible that there is no force of some kind behind all of this. I agree that the force may very well be indifferent.

There is clearly something that we do not understand behind the scenes of the universe.

17. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

SEAMonster66

You have just described the agnostic position.
    Well done

Occam

18. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

No God.

At least no "omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, omniscient" GOD. :)

19. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Libertine

True.
    But a god/race that has powers we ignorant clods call godlike.

Certainly must exist ..if evolution does.
    For how do WE SAY WE ARE THE PINACLE OF EVOLUTION.
    Are we so arrogant? yes.

Are we so stupid that the theory we call reallity is dominated by US.
    YES.
    WE are that stupid.
    For humans are mostly ego.with a patina of reason overlaid.

Very few have ANY IDEA of how overwhelmingly BIG is reality.
    AND HOW SMALL WE ARE.

Humanity is selfprotected in its fragile ego state.
    By IGNORANCE.

Occam

20. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

god was a sick turtle that puked up the universe, rolled over & went into a coma
    he exists but sdoesn even know we do