"God hates American soldiers...for defending gays"

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by 2cool, Aug 28, 2005.

1. 2cool

2cool Member

By BETH RUCKER

SMYRNA, Tenn. (AP) - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."
    "But for them to come during the worst time for this family - it's just wrong."

...Yeah I thought this was pretty messed up. Everyones welcome to their beliefs but I think this is going a little far eh?

2. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

for a person who calls themselves 2cool.............firstly change yer fucken name .....ahhhhh 2 cool "what r yer a friggin fridge ? .........secondly do you think god really hates ? .

3. GPV

GPV Member

Phelps makes the Pharisees look like grace-filled people.

Honestly, I think he is mentally ill but sadly also charismatic enough
    to be able to convince people that his sickness is a good thing.
    (Weird how that combination shows up so much in sociopaths.)

4. 2cool

2cool Member

Okay obviously you didn't catch that these weren't my ideas. I just posted a story. In fact of you had actually read the post you would have seen that at the bottom I wrote

"...Yeah I thought this was pretty messed up. Everyones welcome to their beliefs but I think this is going a little far eh?"

I'm actually very much against what they did. It was insensitive and wrong. I believe that god loves all and that gays are welcome in heaven. Next time read the whole fucking thing buddy b4 you jump on someones back.

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

people like to get pissed off...

i read that earlier, what a pack of inbreeding freaks, eh?

6. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

ah, more straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel. God hates? news to me...

7. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Is this the same Fred Phelps who took his 5-year-old grand daughter to an anti-gay rally in NYC? The same guy who runs teh "God Hates Fags . com" and God Hates Americans . com" websites?

He's a fanatic. Giving him attention, even here, is his agenda.

8. AannaSolo

AannaSolo Member

9. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

pshh, why not run off and join them freak

10. MrRee

MrRee Senior Member

Since it's very inception, christianity has been awash with people doing "unchristian" things. For the life of me I can't imagine how a religion can be so utterly and totally dysfucntional.

The Hindu worship of a river full of corpses makes far more sense than worshipping the God of Hate!

11. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Occam is simply astounded.

Does god hate fags?

One goes to hell for being a homosexual.
    According to the church.
    So
    God does hate fags.

And remember.. The church cant just back down and say..
    Ok Ok...god does'nt mind fags..
    It was a mistake...

A MISTAKE...In the GOOD BOOK.. the WORD OF GOD CANNOT BE IN ERROR,
    OR IT IS NOT THE WORD OF GOD.

Was it EVER actually the word of god?
    Nah
    The KORAN,, is the word of god...
    Sorry.. the BOOK OF MORMON...
    Woops...

Umm errr..

Occam

PS
    And occam himself looks forward to going to the hell dreamed by religion
    in its psychosis.
    For if that is where the gays are goin... then he knows he will be with good people.

12. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Amazing how people can look at a single church full of looney whack-job freaks and pretend that it represents all of Christianity. I guess that people like to do that, it makes them feel better about themselves. If they have somebody to hate people get to feel like they are in the right, like they are superior. This is exactly what the "God-hate fags" morons do, and its pathetic.

The Westboro baptist Church, which is where the nut-cases in question hail from, represents few people indeed and is unassociated with any other group. They have worked with various Nazi and KKK groups in the past but deny it on their website. I cannot figure out why people think that these idiots represent all Christians. Denominations such as the Methodists, Episcopalians (sp?), and Quakers each represent millions of Christians, and all abhor the teachings of Phelps. Yet folks here somehow find it logical to ignore millions of people world-wide and instead pay attention to a group of fewer than 200 in Topeka Kansas.

13. mynameiskc

well, occam, don't categorize, don't forget that gay people can be evil assholes, too.

but seriously, i can't help but giggle nervously every time i read this thread title. can anyone really be that stupid? apparently so. and they're so paasionate about it.

14. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

What does the GOD of LOVE and the GOOD BOOK say about homosexuals? Could Fred Phelps be correct in his assessment of Christianity and gays? Let's take a look:

Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

-Now, according to the Hebrew (OT) this phrase is literally saying "shekabah" meaning to "lie down for the act of copulation, sexual act". This is a phrase given to the men to refrain from homosexuality because it is an "abomination" to God. This phrase literally means "to be filthy, loathed"... we know that loathe and hate are similar, don't we? So, "God hates homosexuality" is at least safe to say according to his "word".

Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"

- Again, a man having sex with another man have committed a "destestable act" (hated by God) and they should be "put to death" (hello?)-- i.e. KILLED. Love the sinner? Hate the sin? Why KILL the "sinner"?

WANT SOME N.T.??

1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

"burned with desire toward one another"?

REMEMBER : GOD CHANGES NOT!

Many try to use sophistry and claim that it is metaphorical or it means this or that. Sorry! Straight from the original texts--it means exactly what it "seems" to me. No amount of verbal gymnastics will worm out of that.

Now, on to "Jesus never condemned homosexuality". Jesus never goes against what GOD wants, and GOD loathes it. Thus, Jesus has to follow along as well or be in REBELLION to GOD and go to HELL with Satan and the rest of us.

Thank goodness, I don't believe in a "God". How could I ever face my gay friends with a clear conscience?

15. YellowBellyHippy

YellowBellyHippy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well said Libertine.... Im sooo grateful Im not a follower of that hateful god.
    They say "God is Love"

WTF?

How can their "god" ~be~ love if that god speaks of hate? A little contradictory to me.

16. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Its astounding that people live their lives by that book, rather than as a good person

17. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

G-d doesn't hate annyone. He hates only sin itself, not the individual.

Nowadays G-d doesn't punish annyone. He's more sin-tolerant now.

I don't know what the peoples were thinking when stating those things.

18. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE: Is this the same Fred Phelps who took his 5-year-old grand daughter to an anti-gay rally in NYC? The same guy who runs teh "God Hates Fags . com" and God Hates Americans . com" websites?

Er, he's the guy that STARTED the rally.

Freddy, stick to screaming "YOUR CHILD IS IN HELL" to Matthew Shepard's parents. Better mouthing off to a bunch of left liberal pacifist types than to scream and heckle at a bunch of redneck inbreds from the First Church of Christ, Survivalist - or whatever these guys were being buried at.

I understand they hightailed it out of there REAL fast when the congregation started fixin' to lynch em hehehe

19. mynameiskc

i just think it's kinda funny that you're asking someone if they're "fucking retarded" then telling THEM to grow up.

20. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

not all christians are assholes fuzzybrains .....man you have a real hatred for christians "dont yer fella .