Go Ask Alice; propaganda bullshit or truth?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by DandelionDeathmetal, Jul 27, 2008.

1. clovesmoke

clovesmoke Guest

It doesn't matter to me whether it was made up or not. I imagine fictional characters as real when I'm reading about their lives. I remember I read this awhile back, I was terrified yet equally intrigued by it.

2. Eon

Eon Member

Read this years ago and couldn't understand how she couldn't walk down any street without getting drugged and fucked.
    Only just found out it's a fake from this thread, which explains the above.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Snopes wrote about it in 2008.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It was still a good read, back in the day...

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I recall editing issues....but my family was focused on proper grammar.

We have relaxed with the 'Net, but....

6. grilledcheesequeen

grilledcheesequeen Member

Oh god this book.
    It's probably a little dramatic of me but I can't stand it.
    I bought it a couple years ago expecting an actual realistic deep story about a girl, and what I got was a load of bs.
    The writing style for starters is not like that of a 15 (?) year old girl at all, that turns me off cause I feel like it kinda degrades the teenage intellect.
    The worst part is the events in the actual story... (spoiler alert) the main character accidently takes LSD at a party, somehow this leads to the "logical" decision that speed will be fun the next weekend. Eventually all this "CRAZY DRUG ADDICTION" leads to various extremities like rape, running away, death.
    Now maybe I'm just not getting the character the writer wanted to create, which would be in my opinion a stupid easy influenced teenage girl with a very bad writing style.
    BUT I don't think that is the case, I think the problem with this book is the fact it was written by a 43 year old mormon anti drug enthusiast.