Go Ask Alice ending *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Drug Books' started by Zeberwood, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ASage

ASage Member

This is what wikipedia.org had to say about it's authenticity. But it you enjoy the book- then by all means! I myself read the book as a preteen.

"Go Ask Alice was originally promoted as nonfiction and was published under the byline "Anonymous." However, not long after its publication, Beatrice Sparks, a psychologist and Mormon youth counselor, began making media appearances presenting herself as the book's editor.

Searches at the U.S. Copyright Office[1] show that Sparks is the sole copyright holder for Go Ask Alice. Furthermore, she is listed on the copyright record as the book's author — not as the editor, compiler, or executor, which would be more usual for someone publishing the diary of a deceased person. (According to the book itself, the sole copyright is owned by Prentice-Hall.)
    I
    n an October 1979 interview with Alleen Pace Nilsen for School Library Journal, Sparks claimed that Go Ask Alice had been based on the diary of one of her patients, but that she had added various fictional incidents based on her experiences working with other troubled teens. She said the real girl had not died of a drug overdose, but in a way that could have been either an accident or suicide. She also stated that she could not produce the original diary, because she had destroyed part of it after transcribing it and the rest was locked away in the publisher's vault.

Sparks' second "diary" project, Jay's Journal, gave rise to a controversy that cast further doubt on Go Ask Alice's veracity. Jay's Journal was allegedly the diary of a boy who committed suicide after becoming involved with the occult. Again, Sparks claimed to have based it on the diary of a patient. However, the family of the boy in question, Alden Barrett, disowned the book. They claimed that Sparks had used only a handful of the actual diary entries, and had invented the great majority of the book, including the entire occult angle. [2] This led many to speculate that "Alice's" diary—if indeed it existed—had received similar treatment. No one claiming to have known the real "Alice" has ever come forward.

Sparks has gone on to produce many other alleged diaries dealing with various problems faced by teenagers. These include Treacherous Love: The Diary of an Anonymous Teenager, Almost Lost: The True Story of an Anonymous Teenager's Life on the Streets, Annie's Baby: The Diary of Anonymous, a Pregnant Teenager and It Happened to Nancy: By an Anonymous Teenager. Although billed as "real diaries," these do not appear to have been received by readers or reviewers as anything other than fiction."

2. ASage

ASage Member

It's been labeled as fiction since the 80's.

3. breezy420nahm

breezy420nahm Member

i read it years ago..i only remember that this girl played some kind of soda game or something where half the sodas had LSD, hers did, and she got all fucked up.

But now hearing yu talk about the epilogue, i do remember the end being disappointing. But like others said, its just the author trying to convey drugs are too powerful and will eventually kill you if yu get hooked. i wouldnt go as far to say that the epilogue is ANYTHING like reefer madness lolol

4. antihippie

antihippie Member

sensationalistic, exploitative bullshit pure and simple. it shouldn't get a free pass just because it's written in an entertaining style. I don't think kids and teens should read it without an aware adult to discuss it with afterwards.

5. hv444

hv444 Member

i heard the government wrote that book to scare kids away from drugs

6. Plasticfantasticlover

Plasticfantasticlover Member

I love that book, even though its a pile of shit and lies. The end is so fake. So annoying.

7. ThePeaceLover

ThePeaceLover Guest

This Book made cry..it hit me hard especially the ending :(

8. luna26

luna26 Member

It was a great book to write a summary about. I watched the "movie" but it doesn't compare to the book. Whether it's fake or not, it just sends out an experience with drugs and its effects on the person, and you get hooked on it because you want to know what happens next.

9. PsychonautMIA

PsychonautMIA Chimps gonna chimp

I thought it was a good book. I enjoyed reading it, although it was obviously biased. It gave me a nice outlook on drugs and how the media utilizes books to sway people.

10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Great Book! When I was a kid it was the only drug novel we had. "The sky is raining like God is crying...." Classic. Of course it's fake. It's written by the same person who wrote the crappy book 'Jason' about a teen Satanist. Now that book was pure crap! Both books were meant to be scare tactics.

But 'Ritchie' now was pretty good too.

11. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

I read it years ago and my main problem was that it ended so quickly. The ending felt so rushed.

12. otherness

otherness Member

I don't think any books have ever irritated me as much as Go Ask Alice and it's counterpart Jay's Journal

First off, the style of writing in this "anonymous journal" is almost insulting. I guess Beatrice Sparks (the real author) didn't really succeed in trying to make these journals sound like actual teenagers. Wow, a middle age women couldn't write like a teenager? crazy. Something I specifically remember from reading those books is the repetition of words, they would say stuff like "wow today was just cool cool cool" or "i think he is just so hot hot hot" all the time. Which just sounds stupid.

Another thing, the story is just ridiculous. Pardon me if I am mistaken (its been a couple years/couldn't even finish the damn thing) but in Go Ask Alice the girl takes acid once and then decides its a good idea to try speed. Talk about gateway drug propaganda.

Im my opinion, these books aren't about what drugs/the occult will do to you. Instead its a tale of what being an idiot will do to you.

This book is bullshit. I can't stand how its all glorified and labeled as "cool" because its about drugs.

*end rant*