GM crops and food

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by ruski, May 28, 2007.

1. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

Well one can qualify research, and your subscription to Industrial Conspiracy Weekly ain't worth fertilizer.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

As I thought. No facts, all criticism.

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

A criteria for good research is results can be duplicated. If the results of a study can't be duplicated, then there was a problem in the control, or the measurment.

Good research also should come from someone without a predetermined conculsion. No studies showing negative health effects from commercial GMO products can show this.

And why not leave nature alone? Because we need food. More effecient food, for a larger population.

4. Pressed_Rat

Where are you getting ten billion from? Last I checked, there was estimated to be around six billion people living on earth.

Besides, the same people who are allowing GM crops actually WANT eugenics. They openly talk about culling off 75-90% of the population. So this feeble, naive idea that it's to feed the hungry just doesn't hold water in my book. The big corporations do not give a shit about you, nor the starving people in Africa.

5. Pressed_Rat

You mean like scientists who are bought and paid for by companies like Monsanto?

There is big money behind GM crops, so it makes sense there are reports being put out with falsified findings telling how great GM crops are, and how we need them to save humanity from starvation. What a bunch of bull! Corporations now not only control the government, but our food supply as well. How nice. But I am sure they want what's best for us, right?

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Closer to 7, around 10 by 2050, and level off around 12 by 2100.

Who's talking about cutting off 90% of the population? They sound pretty nuts. Corporations care about earnings per share. That's it.

That doesn'tmean we shouldn't be employing usefull advances to increase agriculture yields when we have a booming worldwide population.

7. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

If you feel like publishing independant and peer reviewed on your claims feel free, and I'll look over them. Or are all peers in the sceintific field evil men in white coats who take kick backs?

8. Pressed_Rat

The fact is, the majority of scientific findings highlighting the harmful effects of GM crops have been suppressed. Most of the research and medical journals that have reported on this are getting tons of money from companies like Monsanto and ADM. Look at Dr. Arpad Pustai, whose career was ruined after an article he wrote for the Lancet highlighting the dangers of genetically-modified potatoes.

9. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

After his reaserch couldn't be duplicated, the first general control of legitamate research. We had a long discussion about him like 6 months ago.

Brining up one scinetists work whos work couldn't be duplicated, doesn't imply the majority of scientific findings. Not even a little bit.

10. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

I do not argue with individuals who suffer from cognitive dissonance. It's a waste of my time.

11. Pressed_Rat

Duplicated by corporate-sponsored studies?

12. ruski

ruski Senior Member

we do not really need GM crops in the 1st world countries

but anyone who would deny 3rd world countries from food is just being selfish in my opinion selfish

hahah oh i do love how the claws come out. so apparently "most of the scientific literature says GM is bad" that is such a load of bullshit. quality over quantity my friends. there is a large amount of published work that means shit all. you can't believe everything you read, dont be so foolish! every day i read papers that take insignificant data and try to stretch it out in graphs and what not and make huge conclusions about it. im sorry but that's not a good enough reason not to use GMOs.

i do not support etremists of either side, pro and anti GMO. i dont think we need to use it here, there are concerns over the loss of genetic variability which is quite important in the ecosystem. as for people getting sick over GMOs, people get allergies, there is no magical bad thing that they add to food when they genetically modify it that would cause people to die.

there has been so much success with GM crops that it would be a crying shame not to let people in need have access to the technology. to deny that to them just because some ppl here think its wrong and not let them make their own decisions about it is hypocritical and unhumanitarian.

the problem is the companies wont act unless they get money which is somewhat understandable because everyone needs currency to live. but that is the biggest issue in my opinion. there is not a big enough market in the places that really need it so they arent getting it!

13. Pressed_Rat

But it has nothing to do with feeding the starving. Nobody's lives are being saved because of GM crops, or because Monsanto, CONAGRA, or ADM actually give a shit about the people of the third world. These GM crops are forced upon the people of these third world countries, when most of these crops do not even grow in such environments, which has only lead to more starvation and death. Again, this naive idea that it's to feed third world nations is simply the lie that's being sold by the big multinationals to the gullible, unquestioning public, so they will accept GM foods. During the 60s and 70s there was the Green Revolution, which the public was told was designed to feed the poor nations of the world. In reality, it served only to replace the natural seed varieties with genetically-modified hybrids, which are dependent on chemical inputs which the same companies monopolise.

This holds true today in that natural seed varieties have been phased out in place of GM ones. This means that farmers have no choice but to use these genetically-modified seeds, and on top of that they have to pay a royalty to these companies to use them. This has put many small farms out of business, which is exactly the plan.

Stop believing all the nonsense and propaganda, and realize that this is all about a monopoly controlled by a handful of multinational corporations. Like the media is controlled by only a small few corporations, such also applies to food. If you think massive multinational corporations want what's best for you and the rest of the world, you've got a lot of waking up to do.

14. ruski

ruski Senior Member

i understand that the companies dont care unless there's money involved but you are wrong about GMOs causing more starvation in 3rd world countries. they can get nutrients in a day that they wouldn't normally get in a year. and they can implement this into foods that already do grow well there. this isnt about believing what multimillion dollar companies are telling us, this is about getting the food where its needed