GM crops and food

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by ruski, May 28, 2007.

1. ruski

ruski Senior Member

I wonder if i transfect cotton with the anti-ignorance gene (ignrA) and then plant a cotton field next to a bunch of anti-GM protestors if there would be a pollen cross-contamination causing the anti-ignorance gene to be integrated into the genome of the protestor at the site of the ignornace gene and effectively render the ignorance gene ineffective? :party:

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Maybe I am dense and reading this wrong, but are you saying those opposed to GM crops are ignorant?

3. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I think she is. I could post billions of papers showing the problems of GM food... but why bother since she'll just suppose that all of them are from ignorant people as opposed to scientists.

4. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

GM as in General Mills?

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

lol

Genetically Modified.

6. indescribability

Thank god. First you guys attacked my milk. I thought you were about to attack my cereal next. You can't take my cereal. I love it, and I wont leave it. I'll even raise it's illegitimate bastard children.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

General Mills probably uses genetically modified grains... thus, we have screwed you again! Hah! No more cereal for you!

8. indescribability

They better start making organic Fruity Pebbles to go with my organic milk and poptarts, or I'll off myself by next tuesday. You think I'm bluffing, Cereal Gods? Try me.

9. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Is it the same cereal as me? I waffle between two: Exploity-O's and Baby Fur Seal Crunch... unless I'm eating waffles. I eat them with milk from Tiny Cages Dairy with calcium subtracted for soft bones and teeth.

10. indescribability

Nope. Just Fruity Pebbles. Love that shit. It's like the crack of breakfast to me. I don't like eating breakfast, but I'd eat Fruity Pebbles every morning if I didn't eat it so fast it was too expensive to keep buying it.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Don't take that post too seriously-- I was just wielding some questionable humor.

12. indescribability

*puts car keys down*

I'm glad you said something before I asked the local grocer where the Baby Fur Seal Crunch was.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Good thing too--- someone will think it to be a good marketing gimmick.

14. indescribability

Either that, or some fundy would've clubbed me to death with a giant pot roast.

Ahhh, the irony.

15. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

I had my watched the baby calf grow into a young steer steak with a healthy dose of virgin olive oil, garlic and onions for breakfast. I washed it down with a chemical filled Diet Sprite.

Could GM stand for Grossly Mutated?

16. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

She's right. A plant that resists insect and mold is better than having to spray it with insecticide and fungicide which ends up the the watertable, and hardier plants, means more food for starving populations; e,g., imagine corn modified to thrive in the Sahara.

However, Monsanto has crossed the line with hormones for livestock on occassion IMO.

17. Pressed_Rat

How much research have you done on GMOs?

18. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

That's a dumb question. How can one quantify research?

19. Pressed_Rat

OK... how much have you read on the subject? You talk about pesticides being bad, while people are consuming these pesticides in a different form when they are genetically incorporated into the crops. Studies have shown that rats fed BT-corn have abnormalities in their blood chemistry and a shrinking of their bodily organs. Many scientists believe that GM crops are the reason why the bee population is dying off. I could go on and on.

You talk about feeding the starving populations, but Monsanto and their cronies couldn't care less about them. That's simply the propaganda they feed to the public to get them to accept eating unnatural, unhealthy, genetically-altered foods.

How about leaving nature alone instead of tampering with it so companies like Monsanto can profit? Humanity did just fine for thousands of years without GM crops.

20. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Anyone against GMO had better have a good idea on ways to produce food for a population of 10 billion people.

Basically I see eugenics or massive clearcutting as alternatives. GMO's have been in the food system for a while now, and somehow, nothing apoclyptic has happened. I think anyone standing against all fields of gentic testing based on hypothetical doom scenarios, has likely, never been hungry.