Glow Room!

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Zalia, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Zalia

Zalia Member

hi beautiful people

just wanted to tell everyone about the trippy glow room i am designing.
    we had a party for my bf's bday. he hired a mirrorball, some flashy coloured lights and a huge black light.

this has totally inspired me to make a glow room. i love the way the black light makes the room a trippy blue and makes fluro and white really glow
    so some ideas for my glow room are

i'm making fluro beads out of fimo, i'm going to make a beaded curtain out of these. i have so many more to make, this may take a few beads
    got some funky fluro yellow, pink, purple and black tiger print fur, i've staple gunned it to a frame, makes a nice glowy artwork.
    some fake flowers which i am going to paint fluro colours, i'll either sew them to white mozzie net and hang or trail them around the room.
    and i'll have to make some kind of bright fluro rug, was thinking fluro fur in circles over the floor, but i may just do one big circle rug.

any more loopy glowy ideas, i would love to go a little crazy here

:) :) :) :)

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Zalia, that's going to be, at the very least, a bright room :) It's a neat idea :)

If you want, you can create a galaxy on your ceiling with glow in the dark stars... I don't know how they turn up in blacklight, but otherwise you can use ones that show up in blacklight.... Dollar stores usually carry it.

3. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

cool, my friend has a room like that, ill try to get some pics of it. she has blacklight posters and pieces of glow in the dark beaded curtain taped up all drapey on the ceiling... very trippy

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

You can take some empty bottles and put the inside part of a highlighter in them and fill it with water and those will be black light responsive and use the bottles as a decoration

5. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

When I was in college, we had this guy who had one of those black lights from the roller ring (HUGE!). Well we snuck into his room oneday when he was out and wrote all over the walls with yellow highlighter. Freaked him out when he got home. But there's you an idea.

6. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

wow, what an awesome idea! ill keep that in mind, i have a black light as well. but no black light things :(

7. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

^^^WOOOOOOO! 1,000th post!!!!! ^^^

8. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

Can you do this with multiple colors in one container? Wondering if it'll just make a WTF mess...

9. lilpurp84

lilpurp84 Member

you can do a mural of like mushroom land or something in glow in the dark paint.
    you should hire like an artist or somethin to do a mural...unless you wanna draw it out yourself or use stencils or images from the internet and just use graphite paper to trace them on the wall and then just paint it..

im not that great of an artist so id def hire someone to do a funky lil mural

10. Ribanna

Ribanna Member

wow, i love the idea!!
    please post some pics when your done!
    btw, fimo got glow in the dark to!
    maybe handy to know :p

hug.

11. contreq

contreq Guest

hi, send pics here.. I'll plan too for my bf's bday.

12. Glowstick

Glowstick member

Well, Last christmas my parents bought me a huge black light, I had a few small ones up and some stars but now I have a dark colored ceiling and I got some glow in the dark paint from hobby lobby (craft store) and painted up a crazy looking swirly thing on the ceiling with the stars. Also I have stars around the trim of my door, and closet, window, etc,, I have some other shapes like ducks in my bathroom, I have little glow in the dark bears above my door. My boyfriend and I have slinkies and this weird plastic round cage thing that is broken in half and splattered with orange glowy paint, also we've done some stuff on the walls like detailed drawings of flowers and things with paint, and highlighter. After a while you'll go shopping and notice something that is a color or something you can decorate (even things around the house) that would give your room some glow. Recently I found some old cds in my cd container and pulled them out in the black light and they glowed, I put them on display next to my books on the shelf. Also the dollar store is awesome for glow things. I found this multi colored streamer thing on a stringe that I have hanging from my (normal) light in the middle of the ceiling. Also I have a bubble thing hanging up next to a picture of my art (which is also black light reactive), I found the bubble wand at the dollar store to, its a flower and its bright orange and pink. I've also before printed out pictures and colored them in high lighter and put them up. My boyfriend has reflective stuff hanging from his ceiling in his black light room and its really cool looking, black light posters with funky colors, also you can use stickie notes, multi colored slinkies, and such. Have fun! Its really cool to change it up after a while to :)

13. Teale

Teale Member

sweet idea, man.
    i've been thinking of doing this too :D
    any idea how much blacklights are?

14. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

I get glow in the dark beads from the craft store. Micheals or Joanns has them. I have also doodled with GID puff paint on some of the furniture. I also got this paint by Krylon called GLOWZ and painted stuff on the walls, spray and regular paint.
    My husband even went into the bathroom and painted a hibiscus on the wall with puff paint. This added to the tree Id painted and accented with DID paint. (our bathroom has no window, so I needed something outdoorsy looking) We have CFLs, so it glows really easily.

15. ameliorateLJ

ameliorateLJ Member

That's a sweet idea!