Give me some Classical stuff to listen to...:)

Discussion in 'Classical' started by ClassicRockGirl, Apr 18, 2009.

1. peaceman1985

peaceman1985 Member

here is a list some of my favourite composers,
    1. Mozart
    2. Shubert
    3. Mendelsohn
    4. Vivaldi
    5.Holst
    my personal favourites from those compsers are the four seasons [vivaldi], Symphony numbers 3, 4 and 8 [ unfinished ], Elijah [ Mendelsohn] also the planets [ holst ] and all piano cocertos written by mozart and piano sonatas by beethoven and well mind you there many other songs or compositions written by these great classical artists.

2. jinjo

jinjo Member

I love Debussy.

Give this one a shot if you've never heard him before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzc88YWVi68&feature=related"]YouTube - Debussy: The Girl with the Flaxen Hair

3. Aedes

Aedes Member

Chopin and Liszt are my most favourite composers. Two songs I'd recommend listening to would be Fantasie Impromptu in C Sharp Minor (Chopin) and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (Liszt). There are a few other songs I like but I can't remember their names and will check it out later for you :)

Edit: Not sure whether you've heard it, considering you're a Beethoven fan but Allegro molto e con brio, the first movement from Sonata no. 8 in C minor op. 13 is a nice song too.

Other nice songs are Nocturne in E-flat major (op. 9, no. 2 - Chopin), Nocturne in C minor (Op. 48, No. 1 - Chopin), Polonaise in A-flat major (op. 53) and La Campanella by Liszt. A fair few Chopin ones there, probably because he's my favourite composer and I have a whole book of his songs :p

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Be sure not to forget Tchaikovsky, Haydn, and Saint Saens. And there's also a lesser known but very beautiful music of Paolo Beneditto Bellinzani, too. :)

5. Ebony Goddess

Ebony Goddess Guest

6. Ebony Goddess

Ebony Goddess Guest

7. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o"]YouTube - Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ

8. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Gustav Holst: The Planets.

They're fucking brilliant.

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Mum used to play me Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf "and if you listen carefully, you can hear the Duck, for in his haste, he swallowed her alive"
    Ah, those fairytales :)
    Though in my later years I prefered Holsts Planets for their cosmic atmosphere
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJHpVwT_Bk"]Gustav Holst Planets: Jupiter, Bringer of Joy (Montreal Symphony, Dutoit) - YouTube
    :)

10. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

Bottesini's concerto #2,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOovWiog-tI&feature=related"]Bottesini Concerto No. 2 - Catalin Rotaru, mvt. 1 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR8YaZThaQ4&feature=related"]Bottesini Concerto No. 2 - Catalin Rotaru, mvt. 2 - YouTube

11. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

12. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

Vivaldi FTW!

also, why couldn't Mozart find his piano teacher? He was Haydn! lol

13. ancientdave

ancientdave Member

I once had a friend who had a huge record collection and wanted to add classical stuff to it, so he asked me where to start (I managed a classical music store at the time). I figured he couldn't go wrong with Mozart. He went out and bought "Don Giovanni" and never asked me about classical music again.

The first time I heard "The Death Of Cleopatra" by Hector Berlioz was on the car radio, and I was late to work that day. It's hard today to realize how radical he was in his time. Almost like the Frank Zappa of his day.

14. zenmagma022

zenmagma022 Member

15. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

Actually, Haydn was Beethoven's teacher.

but lulz anyway

16. herne

herne Member

What genres/instrumentations do you like apart from opera?

I'm not very fond of operas but I like Orfeo by Monteverdi (a very very very old one)
    for piano solo music, both small and great, listen to Chopin
    for songs I'd recommend Schumann
    for symphonies, you might like to start with those Romantic composers that were really influenced by Beethoven, like Dvorak (8th and 9th "new world"), Tchaikovsky (5th and 6th "pathetique"), Brahms (4) and Bruckner (4),
    after these you should also check out Mahler, Sibelius and Rachmaninov and other Romantic era composers, and then modernist composers of the early 20th century like Scriabin, Prokofiev, Bartok, Ives

17. herne

herne Member

Beethoven, Mozart and Bach are all three but very little parts of a big tradition of music with all kinds of aesthetics and forms

my favourite composers so far per era:
    Medieval: Solage & de Machaut
    Renaissance: Dufay, Josquin Desprez, Tallis, Byrd, Dowland
    Baroque: (JS) Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Monteverdi, Frescobaldi
    Classicism: CPE Bach, Haydn Mozart and Beethoven (though it isn't my most favourite period at all)
    Romantic: Chopin, Rubinstein, Berlioz, Schumann, Liszt, Rimsky-Korsakov, Balakirev, Mussorgsky, Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak....
    Modernist: Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Faure, Ravel, Vaughan Williams, Bartok, Messiaen, Varese, Mahler, Sibelius....
    Contemporary: Penderecki, Tavener, Ligeti, Pärt, Xenakis (also not my most favourite period, but more importantly I just don't know much of it yet)

1 person likes this.
  18. jamesblond_007

jamesblond_007 Guest

19. RestlessRalph

RestlessRalph Members

Seeing that this has turned into a kind of list of composers that exist and much that i would have written already has been written, i'm just going to say: Listen to Haydn if you want some very pure vienna classical style music. Listen to Ives. Just do it. Especially if you're american. If not, do yourself a favor and listen to his work regardless of your nationality :p

20. James Whale

James Whale Members

Faure, Op 50 Pavane in f# minor. I hope this post gets going again!

katsia likes this.