give bj's its safer.

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by torz, May 12, 2004.

1. torz

torz Member

dint quite follow that, if you try & explaine to me what your saying, i'll reply whith my honest opinion.

2. veinglory

veinglory Member

I mean, who exaclty was speaking -- Information is only as reliable as it's source.

Were they talking about what happens now, a new policy, a discussion paper, or just a vague possibility?

3. torz

torz Member

oh, ok i understand now, it was on the 9pm news and the govenment are discussing wheather or not to encourage teenagers to give oral sex rather than full sex.

4. jonathan_s

jonathan_s Member

hmmmm......selling condoms on a lunch time i`d much rather to down to a health clinic and get them free

oh yeh and one more thing i forgot to mention is, i get free bloody condoms at school anyway

5. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I didn't hear or read anything about it, but I'm assuming that wording is inaccurate, there'd never be any question of "encouraging" anything. It'd fit with recognised techniques if they were proposing guidelines which would include discussing alternatives to full penetration. The thinking behind this is that those kids who will go and have sex anyway, no matter what, are fully informed that there are things they can do to satisfy their curiosity and urges, which are much safer than penetration. All it does is give them access to information about mucher safer ways of experimenting with sex. In fact I believe this technique is used in many schools already. How can anyone object to that?! Having full information is always a good thing.

6. veinglory

veinglory Member

"The governemnet"?

A politician, a senator, a bureaucrat?

7. veinglory

veinglory Member

"The Government"

A politican, lobbyist, bureuacrat, civil servant? I think it really pays to know who, because unless its somebody with some real power it really doesn't matter what they say -- the media loves to stir stuff up but mostly it's just a storm in a teacup.

8. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

"The government" in this case would normally mean the Department for Education proposing new guidelines...

9. veinglory

veinglory Member

I doubt it. Also, the Department is still not a person, and they impliment directives which are made elsewhere, they don't make their own policy. I am willing to bet nobody can find a reputable news source that says this is actually going to happen.

10. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1212734,00.html

Comes from a "government backed" report by National Foundation for Educational Research whose findings have been adopted by the Department for Education and Skills and will be circulated to teachers. It's a voluntary course that teachers and schools can choose to sign up to at their discretion, but it's becoming part of the government's "recommended" guidelines on the issue.

Personally I welcome it wholeheartedly, it can bring nothing but good.

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

I stand corrected. You shouldda put money on that get!

That version was a bit easier to follow. Not encouraging blow jobs, but discussing with teens what their full range of options are. Makes sense to me... Especially as there is a parental opt-out on all sex ed, so parent who don't like it can leave their kids to learn through gossip like in the old days...

12. veinglory

veinglory Member

"why do the govenment insist on encouraging children that are under the legal age of concent to have sex"

c.f.

"The study by the National Foundation for Educational Research found youngsters were 'less likely to be sexually active' than peers who received traditional forms of sex education"

?

One of the reason I like to use the primary source not a filter version...

13. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

True, reading that report shows how biased the radio discussion mentioned in the first post was. Its assumptions came from a prejudiced misinterpretation of what the new guideleines actually mean, and in ignorance of the research findings which are basis for their introduction.

The idea that if we don't teach young people about sex then it will never occur to them to try it is just ... really stupid! Lack of information is what leads to the spread of STIs and teenage pregnancy... give people maximum information and they suddenly have far more choices and options open to them.

14. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

i wish my government would teach girls how to give head. sorry if that offends anyone.

15. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Well, Bill Clinton was trying his hardest...

16. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

Weirdness! I lived in Warmsworth from 0-2! Hehe the Childers is cool, but do you ever get down to the Tut and Shive? (My drinking hole!)

17. torz

torz Member

some times we go to the tut but most of my friends like the childers better so thats where we end up normally. i'll have to come in the tut & have a drink with you one weekend, egh?!:D

18. TheFly

TheFly Member

Showmet... thanks for the link... made interesting reading... and I know that the University of Exeter has got a good reputation so it should be worth looking into... will talk to my head of PSHE tommorrow to see about getting on a course if any are available... who knows, it may well teach me a thing or two?!...

Oh... my wife seems to be laughing at me... methinks this is not a good sign...

Fly...

19. butterfly

butterfly Member

may be a bit late on this, buuut

The girls at my primary school had an optional "periods and stuff" talk in year 6, which is pretty responsible of the school.
    And the sex education at my secondary school has been really really good. Big periods talk by a health woman in year 7, and lots of PSE lessons, lots of talks about contraception, up until year 9 i think, then last year a health women came in again and showed us lots of slides of STD's.....eeww.
    But it is a private school, I don't know how much difference that makes....

20. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

Sounds like a plan! Sunday night is quiz night! (Yes, I am middle aged before my time...)

Back to the subject...My little sister just asked me about periods - I guess school isn't teaching her enough huh?