Girlfriend reactions over tv shows and movies? Am I overreacting or no

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Jrez, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Jrez

Jrez Members

I been noticing my girlfriend different reactions when I watch drama shows or movies with her. For example when we are watching Maury show, when it’s the guy cheating on the girl in the show she says the guy is a dog and wrong for doing that to her. However when it’s a girl cheating on a guy on the show it’s all funny and entertaining to her. Same with Lifetime movies and any other tv show or movie that deals with cheating.

I’m starting to wonder does she condone cheating or would she cheat on me because of her reactions to these tv shows and movies. Am I overreacting or no? We been together 3 years.

[​IMG]

Another thing I meant to say is that in movies when it’s the guy cheating and having sex with another woman she has a shocked face and shakes her head. When it’s the woman cheating and having sex with another man she also has a shocked face but also starts laughing and find it entertaining

I also meant to say she is bipolar and suffers from depression too

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

I don't know, but just for you, I'd be willing to find out.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Haha. I like her already.

Orison likes this.
  4. Jrez

Jrez Members

Can anyone provide an actual answer

5. Eostre Lily

Eostre Lily Members

Have you tried discussing your observations with her? I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you if she has the inclination to cheat or not, but honest and open communication is the key to a healthy relationship, or so I hear.

Driftrue likes this.
  6. Jrez

Jrez Members

No I just wanted to know if I am overreacting or not

7. She's probably just laughing 'cause she's nervous 'cause she knows you'll suspect her. She's just laughing to show you she thinks it's stupid. Don't hit her.

rollingalong and Irminsul like this.
  8. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

thanks. this made me happy i'm single still.

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The fact that this thread exists is answer enough

No you are not overreacting

10. Visexual

Visexual Member

Never dismiss little signs like that. But, after three years, you're obviously attached to her. You just need to decide how important this is to you. Fidelity and infidelity is only a society burden. Humans are not monogamous creatures. Heck, the only true monogamous creature is a worm that reproduces by itself, a Hermaphrodite, I believe. Even the beloved Bald Eagles, who do mate for life, will stray. DNA has proven that.

I've been married over 47 years and it's a decent marriage. Heck, we never had, or wanted, kids so we never had a reason to stay married, we just have.

But there is something that I've always not liked about her. She can be controlling and tries to mother me at times. I don't know how many times, over the years, I've had to tell her that I never liked my mother, never wanted a mother, and sure don't want another one.

One of my coworkers once asked at the office if all of us could go back would we still marry our spouses? I, honestly, said no. And it's not because I think my wife is a bad wife, it's just that I never really wanted a wife. I only wanted a friend and a lover. I think my wife has had to compromise a lot too all of these years because she really wants to decorate the house for holidays and to do a lot of cooking. I've never liked holidays and don't care for fancy meals. That just reminded me of one of her first meals. We'd only been married a few days and she had this roast beef with numerous sides waiting when I got home from a mission. I got out the bread and mayo and made myself a sandwich, which is one of my favorite foods. I didn't understand why she cried.

I overlooked a sign, like you're experiencing, that should have been a reason not to marry her. Right after we were engaged, I received orders to Viet Nam. Now I only had six months left of my second enlistment so it was my choice to go or not. I really wanted to go too. All I would have to do is to extend for the term so it would only mean another six months. We had, previously, agreed that I wouldn't reenlist if we got married.

She put her foot down and said that, if I went, she wouldn't marry me. Looking back, I should have just gone.

OK, I do hope this gives you some insight. Marriage is a long term commitment and the only escape clause is 'till death do you part'. And like Meatloaf sings in his 'Paradise by the dashboard lights', "I'm waiting till the end of time".

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It could just be a nervous twitch too. Like there's a couple instances I'll do weird things like one is scenes in things where a baby is being born I feel awkward and try and change the subject of what we are watching lol.

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Irminsul likes this.
  13. Eostre Lily

Eostre Lily Members

I think that you're only overreacting if you don't discuss your feelings with her. Your feelings are always valid, but if you don't address them within the relationship, them they are quite likely to blow up. Overreacting happens when you start making assumptions, which lead to accusations (verbally addressed or not). I've been there too many times, and on both ends.
    I really don't think that anyone here can tell you if your fears are well-founded or not. Seems kind of flimsy evidence to me anyway, quite subjective. If you confront her about how you're feeling, that may give you a better idea of where your relationship stands.

14. Why are you all still talking when I was already right?

And Visexual, SHE'S the one who shouldn't have married YOU. Won't even eat her dinner...poor lady.

15. StellarCoon

lol.

that reminds me of this one girl i once met.

hotwater likes this.
  16. StellarCoon

tbh, i don't think anyone can give a real diagnosis on this over the net. this is just one snippet of information, we don't know her personally - her sense of humor, past history with you, etc. it really boils down to how you see the relationship. some people are more tolerant of certain behavior.

generally speaking, if you're in a relationship and you have a lot of ongoing factors making you doubtful, consider taking a break and catching a breath of fresh air before giving it another decade or two.

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

just quoting because it's the best response.
    listen to this one, jrez

18. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you watch maury?.........it may be too late already to help either of you....sorry

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  19. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

You call Maury drama? Stop watching that crap.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Drama by very nature of the word is an escape from the hum drum reality of everyday life. Along with infidelity, we see rape, murder and a host of other things every time we watch a film. But we don't rush off and act them out or expect our partner to.
    My first reaction is that you have some doubts and insecurities, possibly as a result of a previous relationship. If you let them eat you up, their is a real possibility that you will ruin your relationship with your current girlfriend for no reason at all.
    By all means discuss your concerns with her, but keep it as lighthearted as the reply that "hotwater" posted.

PS, Next time you watch a drama where a murder takes place, don't forget to hide all the kitchen knives. :yum::yum::yum: