Girl I Just Started Dating Revealed She Has STD's

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by MichaelnSD, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MichaelnSD

MichaelnSD Members

This is more I'd say of gathering other's feedback or thoughts, as I'm at a lost. I recently started dating a girl, we've hit it off well so far and started to build some chemistry. She just revealed to me that she has HSV2 and HPV. I've done a little bit of research on both since, but I'm unsure of well, we're able to develop anything sexually without putting myself at risk. I know the common sense response, might be that we put ourselves at risk every time we engage sexually, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar? What they opted to do and if they were able to build anything in spite of this? We have great chemistry but I can't say that this wouldn't be in the back of my mind when we first attempt to get intimate. Any thoughts and/or opinions from all vantage points are welcome....

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think you gotta steer clear, dude.

3. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Have you been tested? Lots of people carry HPV without symptoms. Maybe you already have it?

4. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Firstly, Be glad she was woman enough to let you know. That show a level of respect.
    Secondly, Don’t over react or read to much into this.
    Thirdly, will she get tested again to put you at ease. Maybe, You man up and go with her to her appointment so you can be better informed and ask questions to the doctor or clinic. They have heard it all and don’t mind answering our questions. Don’t be embarrassed. Just do it.
    You’ll be glad for both of you.

MichaelnSD and Si69 like this.
  5. theamos

theamos Members

Hpv is way common depending on who’s stats you look at some say it is the minority not to have hpv.

As for hsv2 that can be managed with meds and when there is no flare up your safe when there is a flare use protection
    You should use protection always anyway

thedocisin, Orison and MichaelnSD like this.
  6. MichaelnSD

MichaelnSD Members

Thank you. I appreciate the informative feedback. I've read a lot into since she informed me. We literally just started dating two weeks ago, so I can appreciate her being so open and honest in the early going. I want to ask her more, I just don't want to be overbearing with the matter.

7. MichaelnSD

MichaelnSD Members

Thanks, I appreciate the considerations. As you can see, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject matter. I want to proceed with things but have some questions to ask her, which I'm hoping I can approach without being too intrusive. I guess I figure if she's open with the diagnosis she'll be open with other things related to it.

8. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

At least she told you first. I did't find out until she had an outbreak.

9. thedocisin

thedocisin Member

Michael, HPV is so common, pretty much everyone has it. At least until the vaccine, and that is only used because HPV has been linked to cervical cancer. As for HSV2, theamos is correct. Sex during "clear" times is not normally an issue. Protection is best. Do *NOT* miss out on a good girl because she has HSV2. Simply put, it's nothing more than an irritating skin condition. Have fun and good luck.

10. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Here's the problem. With this relationship you should always use condoms for your sexual relations. Otherwise you run a very high risk of infection with Genital Herpes HSV2. You may have been dating for nearly a month now and if you have been intimate with her hopefully you have used protection. If this relationship blossoms into a deeper love as in marriage and family planning you will have to at some point have sex with her without protection. The risk of you becoming infected is almost certain and you will live with it the rest of your life. Genital Herpes can cause recurrent painful genital ulcers on your body and the infection can be severe if you have a suppressed immune system. Regardless genital herpes frequently causes psychological distress with those who know they are infected. Your girl friend may suffer from this side effect which may be why she chose to disclose her infection to you. Any children she births with you or anyone else run a high risk of being infected fatally if she has a breakout at delivery. If things don't work out you are still a carrier if you have become infected being able to pass it along to other potential lovers. Your girlfriend has done you a big favor by informing you of her disease. Think long and hard about your life 10, 20, or more years from now. Personally I would be very disappointed that she is a carrier of HSV2 but in order to protect myself I would really have to consider my health and well being long term. I have given you a horror story response to what you asked only to make sure you consider everything before engaging with this girl further. In the end everything may work out just fine. Take others advice and go to a doctor with her and ask, ask, ask a lot of questions. The better informed you are the better off you will be.

11. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA – Oral antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) against HIV also reduces the risk of acquiring herpes simplex virus type 2, according to research presented at the 21st International AIDS Conference.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP for short) has been in the news a lot lately. In case you are not familiar, PrEP refers to a new method of HIV prevention. Uninfected individuals simply take a medicine known as Truvada daily (Truvada is a combination of two different drugs, tenofovir and emtricitabine). This is actually the same medication used to treat people who are HIV-positive—and it works for them by dramatically lowering the level of the virus in the body (to be clear, this is not a cure--but it does help extend the life of an HIV-positive person significantly). However, when taken by someone who is uninfected, this drug appears to be effective at preventing the virus from ever taking hold. In fact, some studies have found that among individuals who take this drug consistently, their risk of contracting HIV is reduced by as much as 92%! A new study suggests that PrEP may have the positive side effect of protecting against other sexually transmitted infections as well.

PrEP can help.

simon :)

12. Jay8592

Jay8592 Members

Not all STD's are contagious or dangerous. Some people that are infected with a sexual disease can actually learn to live with it without affecting anyone else with it. There are common disease that can be transmitted like Hepatitis B. This disease is a virus that can do some major damage, " Viruses that attack the liver, called hepatitis viruses, belong to a number of unrelated types, of which the best known are hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E" (Levay & Baldwin. 2012, p. 562). AIDS is another disease that people can live with, but must still be cautious. There are drugs out there that can help a person live with this disease and not pass it on to their partner. There is a drug called HAART that people with AIDS can take and this drug can help them, " HAART has greatly reduced the death rate from AIDS in the United States and other developed countries" (Levay & Baldwin. 2012. p. 569). This drug gives the infected person more security that he or she wont transmit the disease, but since the disease is till present it is not advised to have unprotected sex. This is because the disease is still there it is just not as active. People are actually required by law to report their disease to the health authorities, " Some STDs are re portable diseases, meaning that medical professionals who encounter cases are required to notify state and federal authorities" (Levay & Baldwin. 2012. p. 546).