Getting my work visa for Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Marlyn, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

my bf and I are going to Japan in a few months. He's going to teach ESL and I'm just going to do hospitality, but we were looking up how to get your visa. He's ok because he gets a teaching visa automatically when they hire him because they are his sponser, however because I a) don't have my certificate and b) don't want to teach, I need a work holiday visa because the main idea of going is to save money.

Now we were reading about it and it said that you can stay there on a tourist visa and apply for the work visa while your there, but have to leave the country to receive it.

Has anyone else had to go through this, and approx. how long did it take for your visa to process?

2. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Ooooooooo you're in for a right mission.
    I don't suppose you have a degree at all?
    You are going to find it particularly difficult to get a job in Japan because you won't have a visa/gaijin card and I presume you don't speak much Japanese.
    Now, without your Gaijin card it is pretty much impossioble to do anything legitimately... e.g get a mobile phone, pay your bills, get a bank account etc etc

3. I_like_apples

I_like_apples Member

And for what periods of time is it possible to get a Visa?

4. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Depends on what visa you're applying for.