Getting more phosphorus in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ILoveMyGuitar, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

This Spring I wanted to plant some bell peppers, and from what I understand they require extra phosphorus. Is this true? And what is the best way to go about doing this? Thank you.

Peace :)

2. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

3. thestallionpt4

thestallionpt4 Member

good question, what is the best way to improve the phosphorus content of your soil? i guess the answer depends on whether or not you support strip-mining and the destruction of our environment. if you do, just trot on down to wal-mart, buy some super-triple-phosphate, and go crazy with it. if you do not ... here's how i do it. i plant the peppers in the thin, rocky soil, then break up a bale of hay and mulch each plant, keeping the hay (or whatever other organic material you've got handy) a few inches away from the stems. i mulch with at least twelve inches of solid hay. then i water deeply, and try to keep the hay moist but not wet if you know what i mean. within three weeks, the bottom of the hay has started to rot and has become infested (and i mean infested - like hundreds of the little buggers) with earthworms. over the next few months, the worms will turn 12 inches of hay into about an inch and a half of worm castings. worm castings are just about the best fertilizer on earth. you'll get all the phosphorus you need by the time summer comes around and the peppers are producing, weeding becomes a thing of the past, the mulch reduces water consumption, and your soil gets better every year. try it if you don't believe me!

4. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

Thanks alot. I'm trying to keep my garden organic and certainly environmentally friendly, so I appreciate the imput. I will try that.

Peace :)