.... Getting married!

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by hummblebee, May 13, 2007.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

My goodness, that was unexpected! Ian just asked me this morning, so here we go! It will be short notice, but we'd already planned a trip to Oregon to visit some family and friends next month, so we're going to try and do it then on the beach!

Can anyone help me figure out how to get a license? We're residents of Tennessee now, and I'm not sure how to go about getting it, especially since OR has a 3-day waiting period. (eek, I hope we can ork it all out!)

I feel like I'm dreaming, I didn't expect this at all!... :) But I'm happy. Happy and somewhat speechless, as I'm sure you can tell by how I'm blubbering even as I write this post. :) :D :)

2. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

congrats... city hall

3. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

.... ?

Thanks poem girl! I guess I'll just have to make some calls tomorrow and see what I can find out about the legal aspect of all this.... :)

4. Merry Mab

Merry Mab Member

That's wonderful, hummblebee! Congratulations! I wish you many happy years!

Oregon is so beautiful this time of year. I wish you fair weather on your wedding day.

5. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Show some taste and respect please. I never said a word about being "entitled" to anything, nor about divorce. Hell, if you even look at some of my posts in this very forum you will see that I've always regarded marriage as being completely unnecessary to a relationship and generally a silly practice. But I've said it before and I'll say it again - there comes a point in a relationship, where the intimacy and connection between two people is so thorough that, in the world we live in, it becomes easier to be legally together than legally separate.

Ian and I have been together for almost 6 wonderful years (come August). Our relationship has evolved more naturally and comfortably than any other I've ever seen. And every week, month, year, we are together proves more blissful than the last. We've had rough patches too, like anyone... but through it all we've stuck by one another and remained happy, loving, faithful partners. During our time together, we've traveled, living on-the-road together, we've lived off the production of our art, we've worked traditional day-jobs, been students, we've had homes, some times we've spent every waking moment together and other times we'd only get a couple hours a day. And through it all, we have remained happy, loving, faithful partners. :) At some point I guess the scale tipped - the reasons for marrying outweighed those for not marrying. We have the utmost faith and trust in one another, and our future together.

I understand, cowboy blue, that you must be jaded from some bad experience - but that is no reason to troll and shit on another peron's happiness. I just wanted to share it with a few good friends around the forums.... :)

6. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I am so jealous!!! But am happy for you. Congratulations :)

7. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

she said she wants to do it on the beach

8. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

You have no right to stomp on other people's happiness. Indebt yourself to martyrism all you want but don't take it out on others.

9. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

OREGON!! I love Oregon, and I'd never want to live anywhere else!

What beach are you guys going to be at? Gold beach is an absolutely amazing place since you have the ocean, then a small strip of land, and then the forest. You could literally watch the ocean from the forest...

Ah man, now I want to go back to the coast :D

Oh yeah, forgot to say congrats!!

10. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but it seems silly to say a woman is only out for marriage to get his soul and aspects. If that were the case then these poor men who propose in "love", just to really get royally fucked by a girl, is sad, and I'm sure it happens. But fortunately that is only the case for the emotionally vacant, and not us beautiful mama's that really take care and love just for love's sake!!!

I can tell Humblee bee is a wonderful person and she has given myself much support and insight on the vegetarian board when sooo many veggies seem pissed that I eat fish but yet I still want to learn, and when our interest are the same, be about vegetarianism. I wish you sooo much happiness, babies, and unconditional love for one another. May all you dreams come true.

and another thing... I know 'some' on here seem to think women are attracted to money. I'm taking psychology for the second semester and I have learned, since women are becoming more independent financially, in this new world, their choosing mates for more or less the same reasons as men. In other words, how much do I want to bang that peice of ass and how long do I want to keep it around. In your case dear, I wish you, an enternity of bliss (though It won't be always, just more so than not).

11. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Thanks again everyone... I still can't believe it. :)

Silverwolf - The spot that we were thinking of, specifically, is at Pacific City. You know where the beach sort of ends and the sand ends at that little rocky cove area? It's a special spot for us, and that was the spot Ian had in mind when he asked. ...But I'm not so sure it'll work, since it'll be a Friday in June (we're thinking/planning on the 22nd) I'm worried that it'll be overly crowded there. Any place you can think of that would be really great and not as touristy, but not too far a drive from there? His dad lives in Tillamook, and we're going to Pc. City no matter what, and our trip will be short enough that I want to stick as close as possible to that area...

Re: the whole "marrying for money" thing.... When we met it was in the middle of the woods. I was hitchhiking by myself at that time, and everythng I owned was on my back. He was traveling (also by himself) in a van, and everything he owned was in it. :) I don't think anyone could, ever ever ever, call this relationship materialistic or money-grubbing.

12. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Ohhh! Many congratulations sweetheart!

13. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Congrats but the paper wont make you love more or less. I hope you have many happy decades together.

14. mitten_kitten

mitten_kitten daisymae

Congratulations..:D

Yes, but I think P~G was telling her where she can get a license...

15. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Oooh, congratulations sweetie!

You have a couple options for the license, but first I would check online to find out what the waiting period is & where to apply for & pick up the license. A little searching ahead of time can save you a ton of headache once you get to OR. Then I would call (most likely city hall, Poemgirl was right) and ask THEM if they have any suggestions. Tell them your circumstances - that you're from out-state and want to be married on the beach with your family. Most places do have allowances for this type of thing.

I have seen some people go to their destination, fill out the paperwork for their license & then have their ceremony while they were waiting for the paperwork to be filled out. This works - even some pastors/priests are willing to do this if the circumstances are legit - like out-state/country weddings. The date on your certificate may be off by 1-2 days, (you may even be able to get this right with a phone call!) but it works.

The other thing you could do... is see if there is ANY way you two could take off just a few days earlier. Then you'd have a few days to scout out the perfect beach, get your paperwork in order, pick out things like flowers to coordinate with the local fauna / just the right shade of blue ribbon to match the water - or whatever little thing YOU thing you'll need to make your day absolutely perfect.

One other note - you do know that the bloodwork (usually what takes 3 days) can be waived if both parties are okay with it, right? My husband & I eloped and since we knew we were both virgins (and I have a needle-phobia) we figured there was no reason to do it so we chose to skip it. We walked out of City Hall that day with our paperwork on the desk of the Justice who would be marrying us the very next day.

Good luck! I am SOOOO happy for you!
    love,
    mom

16. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Update.... I talked with the county clerks office for out there and they said that for a $10 fee they waive the waiting period. :D I explained the whole situation, and she said we could go in that morning, fill it out, and get married later that day!

More than that, since it's been a couple years since we've been out there, I asked for her opinion/local expertise about the location, crowds, etc. and she knew exactly where I was talking about, and said she thought it would be beautiful and not too crowded on a Friday in June. :)

I wish we could get off earlier, but we already have our plane tickets and Ian really can't take off work any longer. However it happens, it will be perfect. It looks like my mom will be performing the ceremony. We'll be on the beach/in the ocean. And we'll be with people who love us!

17. mlee27

mlee27 Member

i wish you both a life of love, friendship, adventure and wholeness, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

congratulations!! i wish you many happy and beautiful years together:)

19. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations!:)

20. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

... I have a totally silly confession to make...

This whole thing seems so weird, (among other things, because it's a total turn-around for Ian, who has always been strongly opposed to the idea of himself marrying, and now, though he's nervous also, he seems to have gotten over that hump where the actual decision was involved and he's unbelievably happy about the whole thing....) it doesn't even really seem like my life. I keep on thinking I must be dreaming or something, because even a week ago I wouldn't expect to end up here. :)

Anyway, back to my confession: I keep on logging in here, or myspace, or my email, to see if what I've written about all this is still here, or if it has just been in my imagination all this time!

Alas, it is still here, and after two days I guess I can safely assume that I'm not dreaming? :blush: