Getting from Airport to the area

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by Tugboat, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

We decided not to use the taxis becuase it was cheaper to use public transportation and we were traveling light ( 2 days excursion from London). Now if we had traveled there for a week or more and had more luggage we might have used taxis, but just to and from the airport. The people who live in A-Dam as far as we can see are all about saving $ on their transportation costs from riding a bicycle to the many forms of public transportation.

Where we live in the USA there are NO trams, buses, subways, its a small town. Part of our fun was using the public transportation systems, & we found all of the tram conductors and bus drivers to be very helpful. A tip is to first ask the driver if he/she is going where you want to go and ask the driver when you get there will they let you know. All of the drivers etc. were very helpful ehrm it came to this. I would rather spend my $ in the coffeeshop or take a tour then pay a taxi driver. I have used taxis all over and they are very useful at times, however FOR US we found that the public transportation works in most cases, I know some people that wouldn't like to have to figure out bus routes or tram maps as they say it wastes time and the extra expense is worth the time they save, well that works better for them.

We can't wait to go back to Amsterdam and it will be for a week next time, we might and probably will take a taxi to and from the airport and other than that it will be the public transportation and walking.

2. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

Noooooooo you must not have read all the posts. I was speaking of the one before you. swirlymind or whatever. Read every word in all the posts, including mine... you'll see what I mean. I'm all for peace, myself...

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Wow my first thread here really went wacky. Here is what worked best for us in case anyone still cares and my suggestions. We only stayed 2 days as we were traveling through Europe, and we had paid $80 US to get from our London Hotel to Heathrow. Now that is serious money for a taxi (personal car and driver), but we had a 7:30 flight to A-Dam and it being our first time I didn't want anything to go wrong and I was excited to go. We could have taken the Underground from Paddington Station, but instead opted for a hired car from the concierge at our hotel. When we got to the front of our London hotel that morning our driver was there waiting for us, suit and tie and a clean newer Mercedes and he quickly and politely took us to Heathrow,now I have never paid that much for a car ride but I will say for the piece of mind it was worth it. We left the hotel at 6 am got to Heathrow checked in and had time for breakfast before our 7:30 flight,I wanted as much time in Amsterdam as possible as again we only had 2 days there.

In Amsterdam we decided to walk to our hotel stopping at Damkring along the way, it had just opened and I was able to smoke some bud and see my first coffeeshop and the budtender gave us directions to the hotel in Leidensplein. We had only backpacks so for 2 days we could travel light. The issue I see if just to make sure that you plan on how you are going to get to your hotel after you arrive, are you taking the train to Centraal Station after you arrive at Schiphol Airport ? The amount of luggage and how long you are staying will make a difference. I will tell you I did not get a good impression of using taxis from the locals, a few people I asked always asked me if we how much luggage we had and I told them very little,but I believe more than anything they always try to save money on their transportation costs from bicycles to the tram to buses. There is no public transportation where we live in the US except a few local taxis, almost everyone drives a car or maybe a moped.

We found riding the public transportation to be fun, I am sure to a New Yorker it would mean nothing. We found the drivers, conductors of the trams and buses to be some of the most friendly people of all. Try to sit or stay close to the front, ask the driver if his/her bus/tram goes where you want and smile and ask if they will let you know you have arrived at your destination. One tram conductor put in a little Rap when we arrived at Dam Square it was funny and really cool especially on Shrooms. Usually I do most of the transportation arrangements but that day I took the shrooms my wife did, she takes, smokes nothing and she is better than I am at getting from point A to point B. here are a few tips that might help you get around in Amsterdam.

*Make sure you have a couple of maps (you could loose one) and a Tram map, I also
    think a small compass might come in handy until you get used to the long street
    names.
    *Have a ink pen and small pad so that people can write out directions or your final
    destination. ( this came in handy many times)
    * Keep lots of change (called small money in Amsterdam) I know you can get the strips but keeping small money anywhere you travel is a good idea
    * Ask ask ask if unsure ask someone the people of Amsterdam were some of the
    most friendly we have ever met
    * Plan out your day if you are doing shrooms, keep some snacks and drink lots of water
    we took a bus city tour and a canal tour and it was a blast, if you get lost
    remember its only a temporary thing.
    * I always keep a inside the pants money belt and a separate neck case for our
    passports that goes around my neck and under my shirt, you have heard about the
    pick pockets and some people tend to be forgetful when they get stoned
    * last the more info you have about Amsterdam the Better, from maps from the tram,
    making sure you know the name and general location of your hotel, Nemisis
    coffesshop map or other if inclined and read up. Also you will quickly or you better
    quickly get used to all of the bicycles and trams, make sure to stay clear of them.

Next time we go (soon I hope) I will plan the trip from Schiphol Airport directly to the hotel check in or store the luggage. Then find a gift shop buy a few maps a small pipe, a couple of lighters (went in 1 coffeeshop w/out a lighter and they had no matches, bummed a light) and be on our way, hope some of this helps the first time Amsterdam travelers, as the old pro could offer up some more tips that would be appreciated !

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Wow my first thread here really went wacky. Here is what worked best for us in case anyone still cares and my suggestions. We only stayed 2 days as we were traveling through Europe, and we had paid $80 US to get from our London Hotel to Heathrow. Now that is serious money for a taxi (personal car and driver), but we had a 7:30 flight to A-Dam and it being our first time I didn't want anything to go wrong and I was excited to go. We could have taken the Underground from Paddington Station, but instead opted for a hired car from the concierge at our hotel. When we got to the front of our London hotel that morning our driver was there waiting for us, suit and tie and a clean newer Mercedes and he quickly and politely took us to Heathrow,now I have never paid that much for a car ride but I will say for the piece of mind it was worth it. We left the hotel at 6 am got to Heathrow checked in and had time for breakfast before our 7:30 flight,I wanted as much time in Amsterdam as possible as again we only had 2 days there.

In Amsterdam we decided to walk to our hotel stopping at Damkring along the way, it had just opened and I was able to smoke some bud and see my first coffeeshop and the budtender gave us directions to the hotel in Leidensplein. We had only backpacks so for 2 days we could travel light. The issue I see if just to make sure that you plan on how you are going to get to your hotel after you arrive, are you taking the train to Centraal Station after you arrive at Schiphol Airport ? The amount of luggage and how long you are staying will make a difference. I will tell you I did not get a good impression of using taxis from the locals, a few people I asked always asked me if we how much luggage we had and I told them very little,but I be live more than anything they always try to save money on their transportation costs from bicycles to the tram to buses. There is no public transportation where we live in the US except a few local taxis, almost everyone drives a car or maybe a moped.

We found riding the public transportation to be fun, I am sure to a New Yorker it would mean nothing. We found the drivers, conductors of the trams and buses to be some of the most friendly people of all. Try to sit or stay close to the front, ask the driver if his/her bus/tram goes where you want and smile and ask if they will let you know you have arrived at your destination. One tram conductor put in a little Rap when we arrived at Dam Square it was funny and really cool especially on Shoos. Usually I do most of the transportation arrangements but that day I took the shoos my wife did, she takes, smokes nothing and she is better than I am at getting from point A to point B. here are a few tips that might help you get around in Amsterdam.

*Make sure you have a couple of maps (you could loose one) and a Tram map, I also
    think a small compass might come in handy until you get used to the long street
    names.
    *Have a ink pen and small pad so that people can write out directions or your final
    destination. ( this came in handy many times)
    * Keep lots of change (called small money in Amsterdam) I know you can get the strips but keeping small money anywhere you travel is a good idea
    * Ask ask ask if unsure ask someone the people of Amsterdam were some of the
    most friendly we have ever met
    * Plan out your day if you are doing shrooms, keep some snacks and drink lots of water
    we took a bus city tour and a canal tour and it was a blast, if you get lost
    remember its only a temporary thing.
    * I always keep a inside the pants money belt and a separate neck case for our
    passports that goes around my neck and under my shirt, you have heard about the
    pick pockets and some people tend to be forgetful when they get stoned
    * last the more info you have about Amsterdam the Better, from maps from the tram,
    making sure you know the name and general location of your hotel, Nemisis
    coffesshop map or other if inclined and read up. Also you will quickly or you better
    quickly get used to all of the bicycles and trams, make sure to stay clear of them.

Next time we go (soon I hope) I will plan the trip from Schiphol Airport directly to the hotel check in or store the luggage. Then find a gift shop buy a few maps a small pipe, a couple of lighters (went in 1 coffeeshp w/out a lighter and they had no matches, bummed a light) and be on our way, hope some of this helps the first time Amsterdam travelers, as the old pros could offer up some more tips that would be appreciated

5. PlasticFace

PlasticFace Member

So after all this discussing, arguing, accussing and name calling what does everybody think? Taxis or train?

6. lctricity

lctricity Member

Train. All the way to Centraal Station.

Save your hard earned euros for better things like gear and food.

How's about that exchange rate to the USD?

7. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

I just paid 1,448. USD for 1,100. euros the other day and saved myself $10.00 by doing it then instead of the next day 'cuz it's been up ever since woohoo lol. I always get them through my bank. It's easier and they don't charge a delivery fee for ordering them if you order over 1,000. 00

I had to wait for 30 minutes while my friend exchanged theirs last time UGH! That is time I want to be in a coffeeshop! Anything I can do here, I do :)

The exchange rate sucks but it's better than not getting to go at all, that's for sure. It's definitely cheaper in the off season. Everything from air to hotels.

Since I am there at this time, what's this I hear about a beach about 15 minutes away from Amsterdam? Maybe it was 15 miles, either way I was surprised to hear that and thought about going to take in a European beach. Anyone ever been there before????

Peace,
    islandgurl

8. Valo

Valo Member

I am pretty sure the beach in question would be at Zandvoort, which is the other side of Haarlem. I have never been as far as the beach myself, but when I was in Haarlem on a scortching hot day, one budtender suggested getting the train to Zandvoort if we wanted to chill out by the beach.
    It probably would take 15-20 minutes via train from Amsterdam. I only chose not to go as I live right by the beach in England anyway, so opted for more time in the Willy Wortel shops instead. [​IMG]

9. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

LOL I hear ya, Valo. I'm pretty much surrounded by water myself and I'm a beach girl, but the thought of going to a European beach is cool unless I see a bunch of old dudes trying to defy gravity in a Speedo :H I MAY take time out to try it since I don't really have an agenda and possibly stop into Willy Wortels too! I still haven't been, but have read about the good deals you can get on bigger amounts there. I'm sure I could get a good amount of white widow and orange bud for less which is nice 'cuz I can <Chong voice in Up in Smoke>"Toke, toke it up!" :p

10. PlasticFace

PlasticFace Member

I've been to the beach before at Zandvoort(sp?). Its about 20 minutes by train from Amsterdam. It was pretty cool weather wise when I went and the place was quiet. Dunno if it gets busy when the weather is hot. Nice beach with lots of bars and cafes on the sand. Found a coffeeshop just round the corner from the train station where i chilled for a couple hours. Can't remember what it was called or what i purchased there but it was an enjoyable day.

11. Valo

Valo Member

By the sound of the street the coffeeshop is on, I am guessing you went to Coffeeshop La Paz. As far as I know there are only 2 coffeeshops in the town - the other being Yanks, which looks real nice judging by the picture in the link.

12. islandgurl

islandgurl Banned

Once again GREAT info. there, Valo. Thanks for sharing Plasticface! I think I may have to try this topless beach. Sounds cool in the heat I'll be arriving to, not to mention an actual coffeeshop near one. The only thing better would be ON the beach sitting outside, which I'm sure I'll do as well :)

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Sweet, Last time I smoked on the Beach was in Jan. 2001 in Wailea Maui, its was very cool. Mowiee Wowiee smoke and watching the numerous humpback whales spout off the beach in Wailea. The hotel had a hotel cat named (Fat City the hotel Kitty) and I heard was not likely to let you pet him, funny thing as I was smoking he ended up right beside me and next thing I know he was curled up on my feet, smart cat. Later I saw him up by the bar munching out of his bowl, and later sleeping the day away in his shady spot ( this is how I found out his name was Fat City) later I asked Ernie the conceriege and he said Yes thats Fat City the Hotel Kitty.

Having been to European beaches and I to have seen the old guys in the speedos, of course Europeans are not so hung up on having to look like models like US Americans think we have to. When I first told my buddies I went to a topless beach they said " bet that was nice" well most of the topless women were 50+yrs old and seemd to like to crochet on the beach, to each his own.

We will have to try the beach though next time we go to the Dam especially if its warm like we went a few weeks ago. Any parks where you can smoke and relax a few hours ?