Getting Animals High

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by peace_n'_love, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

I'm against it. I knew a person that would put his cat in a box and blow pot smoke through a hole simply for entertainment. It was pathetic and completely pointless.
    It's one thing to let an animal sit around in the same room with you're smoking, but it's another when you force your personal choices onto another living creature. Animals simply do not need it... They're already enlightened.

2. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

I knew some people that would do that too...they'd even use a bunch of hookah hoses for it, upon mentioning my disdain for it though they were like "its our cat man, if you don't like it leave." As if they owned it, then again I suppose that's the purpose of many "pets" just another thing we humans can own. Pretty sad really...

Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but are we not animals as well?

3. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

You're not wrong. I meant the animals that are not human beings. I believe that that we too are born with the natural ability to connect to spirituality and thus become enlightened, but we spend a lot of our lives deprogramming subconsciously because of our doubt or disconnection to this part of us. I might be completely wrong, but those are just my thoughts on the subject.

4. goatman123

goatman123 Member

i get my cat high sometimes, but only a little high, because one time i got him fucked up and as soon as we were done smoking he ran straight up to my moms room and she comes stomping down the stairs and says "why does the cat smell like pot" not even 5 minutes after we smoked. that was the only time he didnt enjoy it.

5. floes

floes Senior Member

right and wrong is opinion.
    it all depends on the user.
    if its forcefully its wrong, but if the dog chooses to inhale light my good friends, then its their choice. id say giving the most wrong thing to do is giving animals lsd.

6. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i base my ideals of it being worng on medical and scientific grounds.
    humans and other animals have differing ways their bodly processes work.
    a lot of things that are safe for humans can kill animals.
    vets know all too well, of cats and dogs who die from o.d.ing on mj!
    it takes one hell of a lot of weed to kill a human! (about 4 pounds worth)
    pot is a depressedent/downer. it takes very, very, little weed to make an animals bodly functions stop.

i let my cats get and, stay high all the time. i grow catnip (catmint)... those mothers love that shit to no end!
    catnip is safe for cats.
    i have had dogs eat, catnip along with grass (not that type of grass!) with no ill effects; i've even have, made tea from catnip and, have gotten a mild buzz from it.
    i would recommend, that you not risk things like, mj or booze with your pets.
    catnip is far, far, far cheaper to buy then loco weed or booze.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

8. fluttersteke

fluttersteke Member

I don't get my dog high. Actually it's my boyfriends dog and that's his decision. I won't get a dog high at all or any animal but I've seen the animals who really love it. If the animal comes to it and makes it obvious then its okay.

Like for example, my old roommate had this cat and every time she'd pack up a bowl, the cat would smell it and run into the room. Then the cat would try to get into the weed and keep sniffing the bowl. When my roommate or I would blow out smoke, her cat would lift his head and get right into the middle of the smoke. During a group session where we pass the bowl, joint, bong, whatever.., the cat would sometimes follow the bowl wherever it went. He would always go up to the person who was hitting the weed. It was so cute:)

9. Elle

Elle Senior Member

I don't think getting animals high is okay. I liken it to a baby. You can't ask them how they feel, if it feels ok, or if they even want it. You also know that it is going to effect their insides just like smoking will effect your lungs. I know sometime the animal will "come to it" but that's because there is a smell involved an most animals are attracted to strange or strong smells. I had a guy get my kitten high while I was gone from our apartment and he got his ass handed to him real quick.

10. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

I get my cats high.. on CATNIP! But nothing else.. my cats usually stay away if i'm smoking, although I have friends who say their cats come a-runnin' as soon as they spark up..

Sorry, I'm new and didn't feel like reading through the whole thread, so sorry if this was brought up already. Getting animals high without their consent (which they can't give anyway!) = not cool. I think Catnip for cats and Valerian for rats is fine.. some animals in the wild even intentionally seek out psychoactive plants/substances, especially primates (our closest relatives, hmmm). I saw it on a doc on Animal Planet or something but I'll see if I can find an online source..

Just goes to show you that the urge to get high and/or attain altered states of consciousness is a natural thing and I personally believe it's ingrained in most of us...

hmm, can't seem to find what that show was, but this book, Intoxication seems to cover the topic in depth. Looks like a good read.. I'll add it to my shopping list :)

11. aydinerro

aydinerro Member

my friends dog is a weedfiend

12. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

My friend has a dog that drinks at least 2 or 3 cans of beer a day. Another friend used to give his dog vodka; dog still lapped it up even though it tasted bad. Same dog would come in the room and put her head in the lap of who ever was holding the blunt. She would go around the room when it was passed. Tell me that dog didnt like weed.

13. Sadhu

Sadhu Member

I dont personally see the problem. Perhaps giving cats harder drugs like lsd and mushrooms, but giving a dog beer or blowing smoke in its face..... I really dont see how it is "wrong on so many levels", if the animals dont enjoy it they will let you know. They evolved for millions of years(even if domesticated) they are not just going to flop over and die if us humans dont hold their hands.

14. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

These hippies are just pussies.

15. Balqis

Balqis Senior Member

My dog is often in the room when we are all smoking, hes quite placid anyway, but he will go in the kitchen and sit by his cupboard waiting for a treat, he gets the munchies, and he loves it when we are all laughing, he wags his tail like mad, I personally think he enjoys it.

16. Moonstone R

Moonstone R Guest

Never heard of anyone giving valerian to rats, that's interesting. Valerian can be fun for cats too. They like the scent of it. Empty the contents of a valerian capsule into a balled up paper napkin and see how long it takes for your cat to tear it to shreds.

I remember people getting their pets high when I was a teenager. I don't think it's right unless the animal seeks out the high. If the tables were turned and my cat got me high on some strange smoke I'd be grateful and curious, but what do I know, after all I'm only human.

As far as cats go, don't judge by purring alone. Cats purr when they're afraid or highly stressed out or dying, too.

17. aydinerro

aydinerro Member

Pretty much.. Don't HOLD another creature's face and FORCE it to use drugs. I mean..c'mon you know that shit's wrong..
    But if the animal likes to have a whiff of weed or laps up spilt beer, let it be.