Get Woke... Go Broke

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Pretty sure you mean conquerors. And when you conquer territory, you get to call it whatever you want. What's interesting about the southern US is how many things are named after native tribes. Rivers, roads, counties and towns.

This is not universal of course. Louisiana, which used to take up a 4th of the US territory, was named for a French noble. By the conquering French. They later sold it to the Americans for 12 cents an acre.

The Americas are unusual in that the conquerors were not always followed by the colonists. Jamestown being the classic example, was financed by investors who didn't want the crown nosing about in their everyday life. They had some military with them, but they were paid like mercenaries. Which might explain why they were such shits to the locals.

There's just so much history for it all to be crammed into 1-liners and jabs. I can only imagine the cost if the US Native Americans wanted to take the territory back. Assuming an actual war was to be declared. There would have to be a technological match to even consider it. An advantage would be better given the vast population gap. The problem with war is all the death. I don't think the US Native Americans can withstand the kinds of losses that a multi-year war would deliver.

Buying territory seems like a better plan. Especially if any of that territory has been improved. Consider how much of Hawaii and the US west coast is owned by Japan and China. They're also loading up on gold, so who knows what they'll own next. At this rate they could own a lot of what used to be native lands. Do you think they can be "guilted" as easily as the Americans?

That's the real pickle these days. If you're waiting for the day when the president says "Ok, we're sorry European invaders stole your land, here's the keys, we're all going back to Europe" it will be a very long wait. If you want it now, you have to work for it now. So far whining about it doesn't seem to have made much progress.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was going to say this exact thing, a lot of towns and rivers around here are either named after native american tribes or still called the original name the native tribes gave it

3. I suspect it had a lot to do with trade. If the river is called the Tallapoosa by most of the people in the area, suddenly changing it to the Jones River would make previous directions and maps difficult to decipher.

In places with larger populations this wasn't always true. I wonder what the Hudson or the James rivers were originally called. The Delaware on the other hand is well known.

4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Katie Hopkins

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Same in New England, actually.

6. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

I know nothing about that region. Get to know some of the Indigenous of the region and I'm sure you'll learn. Or just do some research.

7. FlashG

FlashG Banned

Just had a large Mexicana pizza for breakfast.

jpdonleavy likes this.
  8. Sounds most excellent.

We have excellent Mexican restaurants in Atlanta. Seriously authentic flavors. It's as if they truck in REAL Mexicans to cook for us!!!

FlashG likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The local Calapooia Indians used to call that area Chemeketa, which meant "The Meeting Place."
    Mt. Hood was also called Wyeast

10. 6-eyed shaman

I like what she does

11. 6-eyed shaman

Attached Files:

WritersPanic likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I was merely intrigued by your use of 'so called'.

13. 6-eyed shaman

Behold! The final boss of the women's march

final boss.jpg

14. GuerrillaLorax

15. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Let's not act like people on the left are the only ones to turn protests violent.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

People cheered when that women was run over in Charlottesville. Even twisted it around to say she deserved it.

The violence is generly towered people are openly racist with values contrary to American freedoms. I'm a very peaceful person but I notice the same people who love guns and say they are there for when the time to talk is over say "oh no why are you so mean let's hear both sides". With the car and gun it's the same idea: one has a right to violence to protect themselves if needed.

Both sides is an excuse to be a rude asshole. College is not the indoctrination center some people want to think. It's just that in modern times most people don't want to hear the racist nonsense.

There is a strange respect and team identity between some Americans and Nazi values now. Right down to seeing others Americans are Communist so we fight them like Hitler did.
    Their grandfathers would be so sad. Hitler lost and they will too.

How is ANTI-fascist a bad thing?

17. GuerrillaLorax

"After announcing “Operation: Righteous Deportation,” Proud Boys Chairman Enrique Tarrio told group members to begin gathering intelligence on undocumented immigrants. “FROM NOW ON EVERY DOX, LYING ARTICLE, AND FAKE HATE CRIME WE GET BLAMED FOR HAS A CONSEQUENCE. WE WILL NAME AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT THAT WE PERSONALLY REPORT TO ICE AND TRACK HIS STATUS FOR EVERY INCIDENT."

Shortly after, Tarrio (formerly @HonoredChair) was banned from Twitter after a Daily Beast expose by Kelly Weill revealed that he was using a secret Telegram chat to encourage mass reporting of anti-fascist accounts that did not violate Twitter’s terms of service. He attempted to evade the ban by creating a new account – first known as @RiseOfNoble, then @Anewnoble – but that was also banned.

After independent media outlet Unicorn Riot exposed that Identity Evropa had been using the Slack service to organize their members, IE, recently rebranded as the American Identity Movement, renamed the Slack work spaces, but continued with the same members in the same chats. After a short online campaign pressuring Slack to deplatform the group, Slack issued a statement saying that they had “removed 28 accounts because of their clear affiliation with known hate groups.” Though their terms of service had not previously banned hate groups, the company stated that “[w]hen we are made aware of an organization using Slack for illegal, harmful, or other prohibited purposes, we will investigate and take appropriate action and we are updating our terms of service to make that more explicit.” - This Week in Fascism

18. GuerrillaLorax

"Following last week’s expose of Officer Daniel Morley, a School Resource Officer at LC Bird High School in Chesterfield, Virginia, as a member of Identity Evropa, felony charges were dropped against an unnamed person on the single pending prosecution for which Morley was the primary officer. Additionally, the Chesterfield Commonwealth Attorney’s Office is reviewing all of Morley’s past cases for “any signs of impropriety,” according to a statement made on social media."
    - This Week in Fascism

19. 6-eyed shaman

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    So... you consider white progressives getting no kids will cause there to be less progressives in the future? I'm more inclined to conclude there just being less possible white people.