Germination(sp?)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Juggalo4ever, May 8, 2004.

1. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

What is it? Is it that thing with a paper towel and sponges? what does it do?

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

I believe its just means when something starts to grow

3. Juggalo4ever

I thought that was it, but I read one time, in the other gardening forum, that some people do something with a spone to make the plants grow faster or something.

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

When a seed germinates, the embryo emerges from the seed. Temperature and moisture are a factor.
    I think maybe people use sponges and paper towels , etc. to hold more moisture.

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

yeah, I grew bean plants one time like that. I wrapped the seeds in a moist paper towel and after a few days they sprout. You just have to make sure you keep the towel moist. After they sprout you just plant them and they continue growing.

6. Juggalo4ever

What does it do? Is it better to do it this way?

7. Kelly

Kelly Member

I don't know if its necessarily a better way of doing it although some people say it speeds along the growing. I know the method is often used to test if old seeds are still good. Rather than planting a whole pile of old seeds and hoping they sprout, some people place them in moist paper towels for a few days...if they sprout, they are good for planting, if they don't sprout they are probably too old to use and you know they should be tossed.

8. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Yeah, I germinated moonflowers by wrapping them in a wet papertowel and wrapping it in plastic wrap. Then under the kitchen sink they went. Man they did good.

9. RedStar

RedStar Member

gotta be careful of mold though when you use the paper towel/sponge method. I've had good luck putting my seeds on a damp paper towel which i place inside an open sandwich bag, which i tack to the wall. Then i position a multidirectional light so that it shines directly on it.. providing heat to start the germination. The constant light source helps prevent the towel and seeds from molding too.

RedStar

10. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

I germanate allmost all my seeds.The plants seam to grow allot better.i put the seeds in a damp papper towel then into a ziplock bag.i blow air in the bag and seal it.i put the bag someware warm and dark.73 deg. is best.It takes about 3 days to get sprouts.lovein your life
    frog

11. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

Germination: When all structural components of the seedling plant arise from the embryo.

1. seed coat breaks open
    2. Coleorhiza emerges to anchor the embryo in the soil and absorbs water
    3. Radicle pushes through the side of the coleorhiza and penetrates the soil.
    4. primary roots emerge from the seed
    5. roots begin to branch.
    6. eventually, the first foliage leaf appears
    *fertilize with high phosphorus and lime to enhance germination
    Take this from a turf student

12. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

A seed consists of a pericap(shell),radicle(embryotic root tip),root cap,vascular primordia(tiny premature shoots which first appear behind the stipules along the main stalk),anterior carpellary trace(area of vascular tissue connecting 2 like portions ofthe vascular system such as stem xylem and leaf xylem),posterior carpellary trace,primary leaves,shoot apex,cotyledons(first leaves) when seed comes in contact with moisture the pericap cracks open and the root cap emerges then grows throwing off the pericap while allowing the cotyledons to start supplying food and the beginning of photosynthesis ,then the first set of primary leaves take over and off ya go!