Georgia Summers?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Charmed262, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Vitamin D is easy to make around here, isn't it?

Part of adjusting to a hot climate is learning that sweating is part of life in our natural habitat. When your attitude is better, your sense of well-being is better too.

Since I know I will be sweating all day, I make sure to put the water back in (or risk kidney stones and heat stroke). I also bathe more often so that the sweat is not sitting there for hours on end. Besides the stink of old sweat, you don't want to get rashes and prickly heat.

I worked as a roofer one summer and it sure is a lot hotter than working at ground level. If you are lucky there is a breeze, if not, just sweat it out until you can climb down and cool off.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've found it to be about 30 degrees hotter in the sun on a roof. I have worked in 113 degree heat south of Fresno,so it was around 140 in the sun!!! It was rough. But the humidity down south was worse!!

3. Tboney

Tboney Member

Yea...I hate the humidity!

4. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I agree. Being from New York, I hate the summers here... and I miss having snowy winters... "I'm goin' back to New York City, I do believe I've had enough!"~Bob Dylan~

5. Tboney

Tboney Member

I went to boarding school in ny and spent alot of time in the city... NY summers are hell in the city! Why back in forth from ATl and NY?

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I live right at the SC/GA border; therefore, we have about the same weather. I double-damn HATE these hot, humid summers. (However, I will say that I have found Charleston to be much, much worse as far as the heat and humidity. I would compare Charleston to the tropics, I think... ;) but I've never visited the tropics.) AND before anybody starts with the "Why don't you move?!"...it is all I can do to make it where I live. Since I don't have a money-tree growing in my yard nor anywhere near me, alas I must contend with where I am.
    If I could, I would prefer to live in the mountains of SC or GA because I know for a fact that mountain weather is significantly cooler year round.

7. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I was born in NY, so I always end up back there now and then. I'm in GA cause NY is too expensive and my parents offered me a place to stay while I get on my feet. In NY, me and my ex girlfriend were paying $1800 a month for a tiny two bedroom apartment.

8. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

alright,, alright,, i live in central florida. thank god i live near the ocean though. the sun is xtremely intense here during the summer, and in august-mid sept there is no breeze hardly. so think about that one all you georgian ppl complainin' bout how hot it is lol. you could be down here in florida!!

oh and when i was a senior in highschool, i stayed the summer in orlando. THERE is where its REAL HOT. i've lived here for 8 years, and no way i could do a summer in orlando lol. and also remember im a redhead, so the sun its double sucky for me!! i just hide from the sun most of the day

9. Tboney

Tboney Member

Yea its ridiculous! Cost of living in NY city is insane!

10. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

Ding dong, summer's dead! and my favorite season has finally arrived.

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I live in the Atlanta area and we went 3 full years with no air conditioning (due to financial crisis). We just have gotten window units installed in the last month or so. We got used to the heat. We had box fans; but everything in the house got mildew on it. Now I'm fighting to clean it out of and off of everything.

I can't imagine how my grandparents and great grandparents dealt with this. I guess houses were constructed differently then - with more windows and better air circulation.

The secret is to embrace the sweating. I used to get hot and freak out right before I reached the point of breaking a good sweat. The first time I did that, I was amazed that I had evidently crossed the threshold that my body needed.

Mosquitoes and No See Ems are the worst thing about warm weather here.

12. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Try moving further South. The weather was never this bad when I was a kid. Global warming is a very real problem.

13. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I believe that Global Warming really is a myth. I mean we do see the Earth heating up over the past 200 years, but many scientist refute Global Warming, saying that the Earth naturally heats up and cools down in a pattern we're yet to understand. So to some degree what you're saying is based in reality. I just personally believe "Global Warming," itself to be a fear tactic, used by politicians to get us to throw money at the EPA. We're spending a lot of money to "stop Global Warming."

14. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I have also read that this global warming is actually considered to be part of a natural cycle, and is not unexpected by scientists that have studied weather/climate changes and patterns through the eons. Of course this view is not very well publicized since that isn't considered apocalyptic or nearly as interesting as us destroying ourselves. Plus (imo) you are totally right about what an effective fear tactic it is.

15. insertrandomnamehere

insertrandomnamehere Member

^ I did my ancient history class and geology the same year in college. Wrote a paper for both classes on the fact that there is very little evidence of actual global warming outside of natural trends we see throughout geological history.

But back on topic.... I am from Colorado. I can handle the summers here but hate the humidity. I have family who is in Florida so I know it could be worse, but I am just not used to it. Have only lied here one year.

I found there are two items essential to surviving a Georgia Summer:

Porch Swing
    Glass of Sweet Tea.

16. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Insert,
    You figured it out!
    In this climate, you can't work full tilt in the hottest part of a summer day.
    I've done it, but it leaves you on the edge of dehydration and heat stroke.
    Take a cue from the animals. Hot July day in Georgia, where are they?
    Cats, dogs, woodland creatures all lying down in the shade. Not even the birds are out.

When I was a kid, we wore as little clothing as our parents would allow and went to play in the creek or at least near it. Went swimming in the community pool when they built one. And parents were always encouraging us to rehydrate.

As adults, we run do our hardest work in the morning. By 4:00 or 5:00 pm, the sun has dropped low enough that you can venture back out.

We are 300 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and a lot of that tropical moisture dominates in the summer. In coastal areas, the humidity is enough to color the cloudless sky white instead of blue.

In short, you can't do things the way you did them up north.

17. mntbear

mntbear Guest

All you have to do is take a trip a little north for some relief. The climate here is pretty nice compared to the rest of the states. I live around Blairsville and Blue Ridge. It is nice here in the mountains.