George Carlin

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by Skyyler, Apr 2, 2006.

1. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

The truth isn't always very peachy.

2. Yert

Yert Member

No I know. Believe me I know. And the way he dishes out truth on religion is necessary and beautiful. Pointing out our flaws though, in order to iron out the kinks and make us better is different from a doomy gloomy vibe. I seem to recall him being resigned to the idea that when the sun burns out we're dead. Christopher Hitchens is another incredibly intelligent person that doesn't seem to acknowledge the idea that technology is advancing at a pace that should easily allow us to avoid these terrible scenarios. I see incredibly intelligent people, that don't have the foresight to anticipate all the benefits that a distant future will bring.

Rambling... uhh, so is Carlin only good at pointing out flaws and the stupidity of humanity? We're not only capable of stupidity, we've also proven to be the most intelligent, caring, inspiring life forms that have ever existed, as far as we know. If anyone has a video of him alluding to that post up.

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

He made fun of my given name (talked trash about it even) and it's not Justin, btw.

I don't like my real name either, but that was uncalled for.

Desperate for material much, george!?

I really liked him up until then. Now I just want to punch him in the mouth!!

4. Serena03

Serena03 Member

I have all his books on audio, and much of them are just written transcripts of his shows, they are not all that amusing. But his autobiography is a great read. I recommend just watching his HBO specials, it's not enough to listen to him, you have to watch him. His body and face movements really add to his acts.

5. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

:D

6. Serena03

Serena03 Member

Humans are only 'proved' as the most intelligent/nurturing from the perception of humans, it's not exactly a fundamental law of nature. But arrogance and stupidity of humans are probably as close to the truth as it gets, and I thank George for the needful emphasis. :wink:

7. Serena03

Serena03 Member

LOL, is your name Todd? :p

8. lunarverse

"So when the sun burns out, we'll use technology to accommodate." I don't see a joke in their anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE"]George Carlin - Modern Man - YouTube

Patting ourselves on the back just isn't very funny. It tends to work better in self-help books. That's just my opinion though.

9. lunarverse

10. Yert

Yert Member

Which living thing on earth looks at humanity and scoffs at its intelligence?

As far as sentient beings go, there is nothing on this planet that approaches humanity in terms of intelligence or depth / breadth of emotion. We're capable of more suffering and more pleasure than anything else on earth. This isn't experimentally provable YET, but attempting to argue with these assertions means you hate common sense basically.

I look at things with a pretty alien point of view and try to adjust for my human biases, and these are the objective conclusions I've drawn.

11. Yert

Yert Member

The modern man video was very good. Masterful use of language.

BUT this is the shit I'm talking about. What a pessimistic old bastard! Ever heard of self fulfilling prophecies? If you give his points credence, you're dooming yourself.

His points on religion are totally legit, but he didn't live long enough to see the demise of religion. He was just too short sighted to see us growing out of those restrictions. People holding on to religion are clawing at anything they can to not let it die. Watch Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin for a while.

His points on money have some validity too, but in the long term everything is subject to change. We've continually figured things out as a species and have rarely backslid at all. The quality of life overall has been steadily increasing for centuries. You would rather be you in the 20th century than you in the 19th century. You in the 18th century is better off than you in the 17th century and so on. If you're a caveman, a bad tooth ache can ruin your life. that's not the case anymore.

12. lunarverse

I don't think it's a matter of backsliding. Sure, technology has advanced, and medicine has gotten better, but at what cost? Look at how much money is spent within the healthcare system keeping people alive solely with the aid of machines for one example.

I don't think George thought, and I know I don't, that the answer is to digress. It's more so a matter of understanding where our health and happiness can come from. That's his whole point in the last video I posted. As a species we've come to the point where all of our hope and interest in our own well-being has been invested in churches and material things. Because we've given it away, we'll never truly be a happy society, because everyone wants a quick fix, an easy solution. No one really wants to understand that most problems they have, and the means to fix them and be happy, all come from ourselves. It's easier to blame someone else, and put one's faith that everything will be alright in the church's hands.

13. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Nope.

Spin again..

:p

14. nIrv

nIrv Member

When I hear of George Carlin I think of the Free Speech brew-ha and his,

"Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television:"

cocksucker, ****, fuck, motherfucker, piss, shit, tits.

15. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

Read all the books, heard all the albums, seen all the specials and saw him live. R.I.P to a fucking genius!

16. Cathy55

Cathy55 Members

I've read "Brain Droppings", it's quite good.

17. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Napalm and Silly Putty is his best book.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Even though it was years ago, I agree with what this poster said.

Overall he just came off as a miserable ****, much funnier comedians out there that dont make you hate the world after the show.

Some parts are funny, but I never really got why he was such a big deal

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've only seen him on memes on Facebook.
    If memes reflect the best.parts of his act, I've already seen enough.

20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

He was funnier when he was young. In later years it seemed he got disillusioned and gradually turned his stand up shows into his own rage against the machine. Still managed to squeeze some humor out of it though, he was a master of irony.