george carlin and bill maher

Discussion in 'People' started by Fractual_, May 10, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

2 of my favorite comedians, both very contreversial.

2. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I LOVE George Carlin sooo much! Even now that he's older, he's still so witty and insightful. I don't know about Bill Maher, though.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Bill Maher says a lot of things that I agree with, but he's also a huge asshole and acts like anyone whose opinions differ even slightly from his is a stupid, hopeless moron. Just like Michael Moore. I loved Bowling for Columbine, but I hate that cocky retarded asshole. Bill isn't quite that bad, though. :)

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

if you love carlin, youd probably love maher too.

i dont think maher is an asshole, in the least bit.

5. trippymcnugget

trippymcnugget Member

George Carlin is hilarious. I agree with him half of the time.

Bill Mahr and Michael Moore are not funny at all. I agree with them almost never.

Whats funny is, is if you ever watch Bill Mahr's show on HBO, he tries to be funny, and fails miserably at it... and when Dennis Miller is on, he's hilarious and you can just see Bill getting angry and frustrated. Its great! haha lol :D

6. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I did like Carlins earlier stuff but found he just turned into a hateful, miserable cynic in his later years.
    Its 'funny' when you take the mickey out of the silliest aspects of Religion (and as a Christian I can really enjoy that myself. .. maybe more than others) but Carlin seemed to degenerate into simply 'pissing on' God.
    Thats not really clever or funny.
    Its just being a dick.

I gotta agree with everyone else on Bill Maher. Simply a big asshole who has a highly over-rated opinion of himself and is not nearly as clever as he seems to think he is.
    Im still unclear as to why or how he became as succesful as he did and even more baffled that he has started to take himself 'seriously'.

Dennis Miller - I didnt like at first and seemed like he was just doing the same cynical jerk-ass spite-humour as the others.. then somewhere in the 90's he just started winning me over.
    Now I think some of the stuff he comes up with (or his writers?) is just brilliant, smart and downright hilarious!

Even Millers 'lowbrow' gags seemed cunning to me - if anyone remembers his 'Big Picture' routine from The Dennis Miller Show' where he would send the audience into hysterics simply by attributing a one-liner to Boris Yeltsins drunken facial expressions.

BTW.. for 'Controversial' stand-up I never miss Lewis Black - yes, its more just ranting and raving but he does it so well!

7. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Lewis Black's the shit

8. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I like them both. I hate that they took Bill Maher's show off the air. Not the one on HBO but the one on ABC.

I remember when George Carlin was a dj on the radio station I used to listen to.

9. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

George Carlin is a comic genius. I was listening to one of
    his old tapes recently. He's sitting next to the blackboard.
    Seven words you can't say on television. Still hilarious.
    Then and now.

Bill Maher - Love 'em, really smart guy

Dennis Miller - Was kinda funny till he went right wing in the last few
    years. Now he's the dry look Rush Limbaugh. I think he wants to go down
    on Bush or run for office. Either way, Yuck!!

10. metro

metro self-banned

I love them both too. They are so smart. I actually feel like I have normal, sane ideas and beliefs when I listen to them. Maher may be arrogant, but I think he can get away with it. At times though his views are much more liberal than mine.

11. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

I dont like either..........

:eek:

12. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i agree george carlin did turn a little offwards in his later years. still a very cool guy though.

i dont think bill maher is over rated, or thinks hes really clever for that metter either.

13. dotadave

dotadave Member

n
    Carlin's only gotten funnier with age. I saw his older stuff from the 70s where he relied on cuss words which unfortunatly are no longer cuss words. Now when his humor is more cynical, which is the best kind.

Maher has always been a genius.

14. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I gotta admit I very very surprised to see so many people accuse Bill Maher as being 'Really smart'!

Carlin I can see as 'smart' even though Im not a fan.
    Maher (to me) comes off as a person of lower intelligence trying to overcompensate with cynical tone of voice and 'Im sick of it' attitude.

Thats nothing.. A webmaster I know (who is very sharp and witty) insisted that Bob Saget was a comedy genius.
    I assumed he was making fun of Saget.. but I think he was serious?!?!

I know this - I saw Kids in the Hall live at the Queen E and it was one of the greatest comedy experiences of my life!

Brilliant.

Does anyone else here think Jim Gaffigan is highly under-rated?

15. sweedeedee

sweedeedee Member

I like George Carlin, but I don't like Bill Maher.

16. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think he just sincerely wants to wake people up to whats going on around them.

17. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Carlin used to be funny. Now he is preachy and bitter. Too much coke, I guess.

I don't know enough about Maher to offer an opinion.

18. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Heh. Eh, I'm the manatee! I have a layer of blubber to keep me warm in the ocean. Yeah, whatever, seacow!

19. Floyder

Floyder Member

Carlin has gotten a little cynical, and not nearly as funny, but he still seems to be able to make points that make you stop and think. When he was on Maher's show a couple weeks ago I at first thought he was just gonna go into another one of his jaded, angered speeches, but instead came across with several good points. I liked his whole idea of considering the Bush mess to be a kind of "freak show" and to just sit back and watch it with interest but not neccessarily with any real seriousness. I used to watch politically incorrect every night and will always be a big fan of Maher. Maher is definitely the funnier of the two, but Carlin makes you think more.

20. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i liked that analogy too...

i miss real time :(