General Election before Xmas ???

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I would expect so . The Tories would think its possibly in their own interest to try and get a larger majority otherwise policy will be difficult to get through as things stand . The other parties would also welcome a general election. Not sure with the on going Brexit debacle if the people are in the mood for one .I for one can't be bothered voting . I just think its a waste of "boot leather " as all politicians appear to have their snouts in the trough .I have been disillusioned with British politics for some time now. One advantage of this is that I can be and give neutral opinions on things .

Driftrue likes this.
  3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

It’s one of the oldest and most cynical plays in democratic politics – promise to throw money around I then call an election

Well Boris and his cabinet are certainly promising jam tomorrow

Do you remember the bus, the bus that seemed to promise so much money for the NHS during the leave campaign, that was a ‘golly wheeze’ by Dominic Cummings that man who is now Boris’s top adviser he knew it was a lie a promise that couldn’t be kept but he didn’t care his view is that you don’t have to be true you just have to win.

So once the win was in we were told that the NHS money wasn’t a promise, it wasn’t even an aspiration it was just a possible maybe depending on others things and well let’s move on and forget that…

What is that old saying – fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Mysteron likes this.
  4. Captain Scarlet

Well that's the problem with politicians in general. Most of them lie, make false promises, or swerve certain questions . Unfortunately many of the electorate are taken in and will buy into such lies and propaganda . The tabloid press do not help either as they tend to be politically biased and quote more lies .

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

They don't lie, they are just too stupid yo see the truth. We live in an age of technology and none of them have the first clue about how any of it works.

The latest convenient misrepresentation of the truth concerns the 90% saving of plastic bag pollution. Yes the number of bags are lower, but the fact that the reusable bags use more than 5 times the amount of plastic, cancels most of the benefits.

Do you remember when they banned fluorocarbon refrigerants. The ozone formed over the oceans is adequate to compensate. The problem only arose when companies started saving money by using them to propel aerosols and dumped hundreds of tons into the atmosphere every day.

The western word is run by a bunch of incompetent idiots.

Driftrue likes this.
  6. Captain Scarlet

I like that !

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Thank you. As a chartered engineer and qualified doctor, I seem to see a bigger picture and every time I hear the latest hair brained ideas, I don't know whether ti laugh or cry.

I see wind power is a good solution to many of our problems. BUT.!!! has anyone stopped to think that rain clouds form over the oceans and the wing carries them overland. If we absorb the energy from the wind, what will happen.??? Will parts or the world suffer severe drought.???
    Perhaps the only consolation is that we have already increased our winds by de-foresting so much of the planet, where trees tamed the energy of the winds.

We could save a lot of energy, by simply turning heating off overnight and buying a quilt. This would help to kill airborne bacteria and viruses floating around at the same time as saving money.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mysteron

But in my view anyone that discusses politics is a politician, which means you and me.

As the politic forum moderator I talk to a lot of politically minded people and I’d have to say that here it’s the people on the right of politics that seem more likely to lie and evade addressing criticism and questions.

Just check out the Brexit threads and you see leavers doing it all the time.

But yes there are prominent politicians that evade and lie and so all politicians get painted with the same brush but just as in here not EVERY politician evades and lies.

But having said that Boris and his cabinet are a nest of liars

Yes some are fooled by the lies and propaganda and others don’t care the lies fit in with what they want to believe so they don’t care if they are lies.

And others do not have the time, knowledge or inclination to separate fact from fiction.

We have a ‘free press’ but much of it is wealth owned so it’s not free from bias and as long as privately owned papers are free from any real oversight they will happily lie.

Mysteron likes this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wil

Can you supply the evidence

Can you supply the evidence

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Not everyone uses a plastic reusable bag. That's not the only alternative. A lot of people I see have cotton or hessian bags these days.

Balbus likes this.
  11. Captain Scarlet

I agree but some supermarkets are offering recycled plastic bags as an alternative as well . However I feel most of these will end up being dumped in a landfill . My own supermarket Morrisons have introduced a recycled paper bag as an alternative . Again its relying on the end user to get these recycled .

Driftrue likes this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's true. But people are getting better about it all. It's my fifth year working in the gift shop here, and people saying yes they want a bag has drastically decreased. Alot of people have those bags that pack really small. Probably a plastic material but truly reusable.

Some children are even starting to make comments about the plastic tat type toys. That really cheers me.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

As with many things it is a matter of steps been taken

To take plastic shopping bags for example -

(step one) was trying to ask people voluntarily not to use plastic bags

(step two) make people pay for bags

(step three) get people to use longer life bags

(step four) banning all plastic bags

It give people, the shops and industry the time to adapt.

To go that it’s not working between step two and four (and therefore it's all useless and stupid) is missing the point.

Driftrue likes this.
  14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wil

We could save a lot more energy by building more heat efficient buildings and homes although your way might reduce the surplus of old people we have.