Genderquuer/non-binary

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by Devin the neo-hippie, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Devin the neo-hippie

Devin the neo-hippie Members

Hello, I identify on the non-binary spectrum. Specifically bigender. I use gender-neutral pronouns

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So what do you call your mom then?

3. Do you have a penis?

4. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Why would they call their mom anything but Mom? Silly question.

Devin, welcome. Try to ignore the rabble. There are only a handful of trans people here. The majority of posters are chasers and shit-disturbers.

elseyk4671 and Chester Jones like this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Hi Devin.

I had the opportunity to meet a group of transgender students and community members from my school. And we talked. We went over some pronoun stuff too! But I don't remember how to do it. I remember it was easy... (and there was a thread on here about it somewhere that I went into detail... I could probably find it.) anyway...

Is it them they their? I don't remember how it goes... maybe @KathyL knows.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Mom isnt a general neutral pronoun though

She said she doesnt use gender neutral pronouns

7. KathyL

"Mom" isn't a pronoun at all.

Devin's comment about gender-neutral pronouns was clearly in reference to themselves. It is common for trans people, when introducing themselves, to identify what pronouns they prefer, since the traditional binary pronouns cannot be assumed.

@soulcompromise, the most common gender-neutral pronouns are they, them, their. There are some exotic gender-neutral pronouns that I do not know: people tend to invent them individually. They aren't really catching on. They/them/their at least have the advantage of a long history of use in normal English when the gender of an individual is not known or specified.

soulcompromise likes this.
  8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Sounds like visiting a zoo lol.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont think she was clearly referencing herself as the only gender-neutral pronoun would be I, which is what everyone says anyway when referring to themselves, so why say it?.

And I doubt she refers to herself as they or we.

10. Devin the neo-hippie

Thank you

11. Devin the neo-hippie

Well, not to a stranger interviewing me

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Hi I'm Dice...welcome to HF!!! :)

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

They came to my class with a community organization called Diversity Collective I think it was. It was part of understanding trans as it pertains to Sociology of Gender Roles.

I don't remember what the class was about. I know we discussed pay equity. Transgender folks were part of it too. I didn't keep the book or I would refresh my memory and tell you exactly what it was. But anyway...

Meeting transgender people was a real privilege. It's very enlightening as well as interesting. And they have stories that match up with some things you may have been through. It was neat.

14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Welcome To Hip Forums "Dev"......I Hope You Enjoy Being A Member Here.....:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

15. KathyL

So you have never heard anybody introduce themselves by stating their pronouns? Well, now you have. Get used to it: it's the 21st century. They are not addressing themselves as "they". They are asking YOU to refer to them as "they".

It is rude to refer to someone who has stated that they are non-binary and use gender-neutral pronouns as "she".

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So if I was talking to a friend of yours about her cat and instead of asking if she (you) likes her cat also. I am supposed to say do they like your cat also, instead

Thats kind of dumb

17. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Buck Angel is the man.

I actually used to watch his morning live stream lol.

18. KathyL

I don't know what I or my cat have to do with it. If you are talking about my cat, you'd say "her cat". If you are talking about Devin's cat, you'd say, "their cat". It's not rocket science, it's not complicated, and it's not dumb. It is just basic respect.

19. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Gender neutral pronouns require contextual vagueness, which is anathema in many cultures. English contains two grammars, not just one, with the more vague grammar being used more for avoiding arguments. The more explicit grammar is for using words as weapons and debating the definition of stupid and what is rational. In other words, it helps to have a subtle tongue-in-cheek sense of humor about gender, if you are to use gender neutral pronouns.

20. My quarrel with this is that "he" and "she" don't necessarily refer to binary people. I take umbrage with such a notion. I am non-binary, and would like to be called "he," because I admit I have a penis.

Pronouns say nothing about one's state of mind. They are simply a means of easily identifying someone, and whether or not someone has a penis or a vagina goes a long way in identifying them. Whereas "they" doesn't help in identifying anyone at all. In fact, it makes things more convoluted.

Tags: