Gender Roles on TV

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by cutelildeadbear, May 26, 2004.

1. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping some of you here can help me out with this assignment for my online sociology class. We have to discuss the following question. The problem that I am having is well so far everyone has said that my ideas are ridiculous and that I must be a man hating feminist. Oh well sticks and stones. In any event, I would very much like to get my point accross to these people, but I'm having trouble explaining what I feel about the following question. And no I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me, I've already posted my answers on the topic, it is just that I was attacked and I would like to come up with a rebuttal to help them see, that they are wrong. Here is the question: how would you answer:

How do popular television programs portray gender roles? Is there much variety contained in these presentations? What messages do these television programs transmit about appropriate male and female behavior?

I pretty much stated how programs like "everyone loves raymond" and king of queens, my wife and kids, etc portrays women in the stereotypical roles of being the little wifey who takes care of the kids and doesn't work and has no problems, and the men are portrayed as idiots who can't function without the wives and have all control over the family, but in secret the women have all control because the men do something the women don't like, the women throw off some witty banter, and give him the silent treatment then the men all of a sudden see the error of their ways and come crawling back. so on and so forth. Any further thoughts?

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

One thing I recall being pointed out years ago, but I bet it's still true--of people who appear on TV, the women are consistently younger than the men. Guess what that points to in terms of gender roles.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

First thing that sprang to mind was game shows (my brother is obsessed with them) :
    They tend to have models who prissy about showing off the prizes and being pretty but otherwise a bit useless.
    The hosts tend to be male, particually of quiz shows.
    When a couple (man and woman) win a car the guy almost always ends of being given the keys / in the diving seat.

Hope that helps, if I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck.

TTFN

Sage

4. Shakra

Shakra Member

The women are usually slim and attractive, even where the men are not.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

First of all, your assesment of these womyn is off. "Housewives" work PLENTY!!!! It is harder work than a simple 40 hour a week job that you leave at 5:00 every day and get entire weekends and vacations off and can be free of your job. Womyn who stay home with kids can NEVER do that. I, for one, am not fond of the way some of these womyn are portrayed, but it is nice to see womyn home with thier children!

As for "not having any problems" these womyn have plenty. How would YOU like to live with Raymond and his family? He's like a child, and his parents are intolerable. IRL, I sure wouldn't tolerate a position like that and would probably not even be as nice as Deborah is to Ray and his family. I'd move.

I'd like to see a REAL family with a SAHM, which shows just how hard she works and how it is possible for families to live on one income if they really try. How about a strong man, who supports his womyn in their children and home care and family and a strong womyn who supports her children and man in their lives, and doesn't put her children at the bottom of her list in terms of needs? THAT I would be happy to see. Deborah at least cares for her children (if only they were on the screen more, real kids are ALWAYS around!)

6. cutelildeadbear

Maggie,
    I'm not saying that is what I feel, I'm saying that is the way they make it seem on tv. What I meant by them not having any problems isn't that they don't have any, for then the program wouldn't have a climax now would it. What I mean is that they have these problems that seemed to be solved in a matter of 20 minutes and then live happily ever after. That is just not how it works in the real world. But I guess that is why it is entertainment, and the rest of us regular folk live in reality, where problems aren't solved in 30 minutes and there isn't always a happy ending.

And you are right, I wouldn't live with Raymond, and I would have knocked his mother on her ass years ago! That is what I mean, why can't us women have a REAL man. One who is sensitive to our needs, but who is also strong enough to stand up for himself and think for himself. I can't stand the wimpy men on tv who need their wives to do everything for them. The wives have lives too, and hopefully outside of the home, but they never show that. They always show Deborah, fixing all of the problems within the family and correcting Raymond's stupid mistakes. That isn't what women are here for. And I never see her actually cleaning the house or taking care of the kids (I must admit that I have not watched this show in years), it is just that the house is always clean and the kids are always well behaved in the background of the show. Maybe they could put on a program that shows what SAHM really go through. I'm not saying I think it is easy (I wouldn't want to do it!) I'm just saying that is what they want us to think. Or better yet why not a stay at home father? My boyfriend already discussed that he would stay home with our children when we decide to have them (of course that could change, but it is what we plan for now).

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I was at work and trying to sneak in a post quickly.

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Remember "Grace Under Fire?" Single mom,alcoholic ex husband, stuggling with work and home? That is a real woman's show, IMO.

8. cutelildeadbear

Agreed, I used to watch that show when it was on. Wonder why it didn't last longer? Seemed to have been doing well with ratings. guess times just change.

9. dotadave

dotadave Member

Add to that the fact that female acting careers rarely survive as long as that of men.

10. dotadave

dotadave Member

Agreed. I think the gender role that is presented by the formula that Raymond follows is that women are supposed to be content to live with ugly idiots. On the other hand, since the show is supposed to be from Raymonds perspective, its all based on his stand up "comedy," he ascribes traits to these characters. He loves his wife and respects her so his wife on the show is the voice of reason.