GCSE's, Colleges, Getting Wasted... Too much to do!!!!!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Natz, May 25, 2004.

1. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

im in edinburgh uni doing philosophy main, philosiphy of science, logic and celtic civilisation. the later three were just for this year next year it will change and im thinking of doing sanskrit or gaelic instead.... tis good i guess although i can't wait till i get into third year in a year so i can actually choose what i study in philosophy!!

namaste
    x x x

2. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Whatever you do, don't go to Accrington and Rossendale College!!!! You've been warned!!

3. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I graduated in 2001 from King's College, London, in War Studies.

4. butterfly

butterfly Member

I'm going to Birmingham if I get A's, Glasgow if not. To do psychology. I like both uni's but I'd have to study two other sciences at Glasgow as well, wich sounds like a lot of effort....

5. miabubble

miabubble Member

:S don't go to glasgow...its all very nice, and a brilliant music scene... but not the best place to live tbh...

6. miabubble

miabubble Member

well i was at the classics open day in cambridge, and there were about 300 people there all interested in doing Classics, and thats just mainly from the south of England. so it isn't dying, its very much coming back to life! at least I hope it is... :)

7. butterfly

butterfly Member

music scene aspect is good :)

but yeah I would prefer to go to birmingham, just don't think i'll get in....:(

right, I'm going to go and do some work!!!

8. kier

kier I R Baboon

aww pooodles :( ah well, yeah, i'll probably be in kent in the hollidays, but hopefully will meet you at some point :) are you going to beautiful days?

9. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

i would love to go to beautiful days but simply dont have the money...tis devasting news i know. also my silly mother is planning to be wed on either that weekend, or the one after which clashes with greenbelt, so im in a lose lose situation realllllly. how rubbishy. but hey, tonbridge is just down the road, i shall come visit you soon you see. oh actually, im in tunbridge wells on the 9th july, stayin at my dads that night coz were going on holiday in the mornin so if your free we could meet and greet and bleat like sheeeeeep. yes.

10. Man_In_A_Shed

Man_In_A_Shed Member

why do you think that?? have you ever lived in glasgow?

Its by far the best city to live in in Scotland, the image it has is totally unfair. Its violent crime record per year is smaller than edinburgh and aberdeen. Plus it has the best music scene, pubs and weed you'll get in Scotland.

11. kier

kier I R Baboon

hurrah! yup, i'm like...half hour bus ride from t wells, so can meet you :eek:

ooo coolies :cool: , that'd be loverly!!!

12. Megara

Megara Banned

Cambridge and Oxford are kinda the "hub" for classical studies..i wouldnt judge it based purely on those schools but every other one. I hope you're right though. Here in the US...its like for every 1 million degrees confirmed...41 are in classics

I hope it is coming back...there has been a lot of movies lately based on ancient events(Troy, Helen of Troy, Spartacus etc).....so hopefully people are gaining interest in it...though i cant see many people trying to learn greek! :)

13. miabubble

miabubble Member

Yes but Troy was the biggest pile if shit I've ever wasted my money on.

I can't believe that changed the bloody story :mad:

14. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I could spend hours ranting about movies that don't have the facts right. But I'd bore you all to death. So all I'll say is : U-571.

15. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

Yeah...but naked Brad Pitt & Orlando Bloom :p

16. Megara

Megara Banned

you didnt like it? interesting....i thought it was excellent...but i knew the mistakes before hand(i.e. menelaus dying)....i try to take most these things as a seperate story and not a direct translation of homer.. I like the fact that the gods were left out.....doing the gods would have been hard as hell...and i loved the fact that they included briseis....but they did go to far with the "love" between achilles and briseis..

If you ever saw "Helen of Troy" you'd know how much of an improvement it was....in that they made achilles a big bald oaf..i couldnt even watch the end of it.

I wonder why they never do a direct translation of homer....but i think it would be too hard...The story would have to end with the trojans getting the body of hector back...it would seem like ending LOTR after the first one...like nothing was solved and everything was left lacking....but yeah, sometimes they put too much spin into it. Its the best version i've seen though.