Gay Marriage MERGED

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Duncan, May 14, 2004.

1. Lanze

Lanze Member

What are you talking about marriage is legally recognized in massachusetts right now as equal to heterosexual marriage, it is even called marriage not a "civil union" not only that but the state requires any adoption agency to allow gay couples to adopt or they get shut down.

2. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

actually, not everywhere in canada. the federal government is holding a referendum on the issue soon to make it either legal or illegal all across the country. I'm definately voting for that one....sad thing is, voter turn out is so low (47%) that the only people who are going to vote, will be the uptight conservatives who want to ban it.

3. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i'm pretty sure that's legal everywhere..

4. Lanze

Lanze Member

well then all the more silly [​IMG]

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

^^ no, no, some states have three day "residency" requirements. (rolls eyes)

Have the grand declaration wherever you are and get all the legal paperwork in place for power of attorney, survivorship rights, yada yada

6. Bartendersrum

Bartendersrum Member

I wouldn't worry too much on where to get married. Marriage is a contract bonding two people together. What matters is that the two of you are willing to comit to each other. You can hire a lawyer to work out details such as hospital visitation, inheritance, estate and what not. while you won't recieve certain benifits from the government... that's not the reason the two of you wish to be bound to each other. the confessions of your love should be enough.

7. sickcharlie

sickcharlie Member

thank u so much for all yer help

8. VertuHost

VertuHost Member

Sorry, you are right. MA offers it to citizens of MA, if you want to call that fair. Can straight people marry in MA if they aren't MA citizens?

Chris

9. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

Got this in a chain email and thought it was kind of funny and maybe worth sharing?

01) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

02) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

10. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Hahahaha.........Thanks for the laugh...I really needed it !!!!!!!!

11. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

No problem!

I'm glad to help.

OH and thanks for the guestbook entry.. It really made my day!

12. Panzer

Panzer Member

That's great! :D

13. grimjivey

grimjivey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Did my Mom and Dad write that?

14. clementinexo

clementinexo hip *****s sucks.

americans love air conditioning... lol

15. amp7325

amp7325 Visitor

Hahahahahahaha nice.

16. TreeFiddy

TreeFiddy Member

Ha I love #5

17. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

^ me too!

It really shows the ignorance of so many.

18. chillwithcian

chillwithcian Member

Below is a current case of whats happening in Ireland, (which i am otraged has had to come to this in this new age). This article is taken from rte.ie, irelands main broadcaster:

''Landmark case by lesbian couple under way

03 October 2006 14:21
    A landmark case taken by a lesbian couple to have their Canadian marriage recognised in Ireland has begun at the High Court.

Lawyers for Dr Katherine Zappone and Dr Ann Louise Gilligan say their case raises a fundamental question about the nature of marriage itself.

Dr Zappone, a public policy research consultant, and Dr Gilligan, an academic, met in Boston, Massachusetts and have been living together since 1981. They married in Canada in 2003. Now they want the State to recognise that marriage.

They took legal proceedings after the Revenue Commissioners refused to recognise them as a couple for tax purposes.

Their lawyer argued the case was not just about maximising tax benefits but about the nature of marriage itself.

Senior Counsel Michael Collins said Drs Zappone and Gilligan were not arguing for any extra or special rights. They were arguing for the same right everyone else has - the right to marry a person of your choice who you love, the court was told.

He said the State was discriminating against the couple on the basis of gender and sexual orientation. And he said there were no public policy grounds sufficient to warrant the withholding of the right to marry from them. The case is expected to last around three weeks.''

Inspired by the recent case by two lesbians to have their canadian marrige recognised in ireland, i decided to do a small little thing of my own. I am setting up a website with a geust book, hoping to recieve 1000 signitures of support for the legalisation of gay rights in ireland. Im going to forward it to the main politicans in goverment. Please visit www.freewebs.com/supportgayrights and sign! Tell your friends and pass it on.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All the help needed to make a diffrence, thanks! xx

19. spark2006

spark2006 Member

Wats up people! I fell in love with this guy and I want to marry him. In which state is it legal to marry him? He's a US citizen and I'm not. If gay-marriage is still legal, can I get my green card from him (is it similar to a woman marrying a man type of thing) ?

Please let me know as soon as you guys read this. I need to get some quick answers here.

Thanks

20. Panzer

Panzer Member

As far as I know my beutiful home state of Massachusetts is the only place in the States that honors basic human rights in regards to marriage. Proof yet again of New Eglands superiority. I don't know about the citizen thing though, sorry.