Gay Marriage MERGED

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Duncan, May 14, 2004.

1. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

I don't believe so .. I don't like pomp and ceremony. yeah yeah yeah, its all about each other and "if" I love him I should do it for him.

2. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Maybe, but only if it was a proper one with a big party and everything. I mean, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing gay weddings are as much about keeping the parents happy as straight weddings. All parents want to see their kids get married so they can plan the wedding without their own parents sticking their nose in this time around.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd only get married for the party and the ceremony, and only if I could do it properly. In terms of proving commitment, I figure we're both men and we should both know that we don't have to.

3. andrenio

andrenio Member

I don't like pomp and ceremony neither but I would like to get married. It would be a simple wedding party, just a few friends, because I don't like weddings parties with hundreds of guests, as we are used in Spain, and because I wouldn't be able to invite my family, they don't know about me...
    I think to get married is important not only for the formalization of the commitment but also for the conjugal and civil rights that it implies.

4. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

See I really don't want to get married just to prove that I can.

5. llamakarma

llamakarma Member

i'm not sure. it's not something i definately want to do but i wouldn't rule it out either. i'd have to consider it with the man i was planning on spending my life with. but i am glad that i have the choice. i think if i had commited myself to somebody it would be nice to have that commitment formally recognised but it certainly isn't nessecary.

6. Morning Myst

Morning Myst Member

I'm getting married next year (civil, of course). Me and my gf don't really feel it's necessary for us, but we want kids and we have to be married for that. It's not going to be a "standard" ceremony. She'll wear a white dress, but not the wedding kind. As for me, I'll just wear a normal long hippy dress, maybe patchwork, and I'll try to be barefoot.

In another way, Roger Thibault and Théo Wouters fought so hard to get all of us(Quebec gay community) the right to marry that it would be like an insult to them not to marry.

My 2 cents.

7. okay

okay Member

I would. No question about it.

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Did anyone see that awful televised one where one of the guys was wearing a wedding dress? Me and my mother watched it together, and at the end I just had to say "Mum, I promise I will never go anything that gay in front of the family".

9. KewlDewd66

KewlDewd66 Member

Nope. The institutions of private & civil law and few contracts and powers have secured my partner and myself from all the major issues, should we start depending on each other.

Other than that, no pomp and circumstances. It always looks sooo cheeesy.

Marriage has turned out to be one of the least functioning institutions of modern society. The legislation in many countries unjustly protects interests of one partner at the expense of the other. Going willingly thru such a nightmare even does not come up for discussion here.

KD

10. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

11. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

very interesting...

12. LoyalReflections

LoyalReflections Member

13. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

I am totally for it because there are homosexuals out there who would like it, but I'm not sure if I'd like to get married at all. I mean, I would be even more likely to marry a guy than a girl, but the thought of getting married doesn't appeal to me right now.

14. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

didn't know if anyone wanted to sign this petition....if so just click on the link

"Do you support the right of every American, including GLBT people, to marriage equality? Sign the petition! Click here: http://www.MillionForMarriage.org"

15. techie

techie Member

Today, after a vote of 4 to 2, a bill legalizing gay marriage in nyc, was denied. apparently, there are still quite a few people that are okay with discriminating against gay people. i say we need some good rallies and protests in nyc.

16. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

When will this goddamned puritanism END?

It's 2006 for fuck's sake! PEOPLE!

17. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

The homophobes need to come join us in the 21st century.

18. TheMistress

TheMistress Senior Member

come on over too canada and get married! Ontario isnt too far!!!!

anyhow NYC will come around one day. some ppl/states are just more stubborn than others!

dont give up hope my friend!

19. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

In a disappointing four to two vote, New York's Court of Appeals upheld a law barring same-sex couples from marriage and the hundreds of family protections the state provides to married couples.

The New York Court of Appeals chose to accept the same arguments that were rejected by the Arkansas Supreme Court just two weeks ago, when it struck down a policy barring gay people from serving as foster parents.

The New York court found the ban is justified because some people may think that children do better with a mother and a father. To reach this conclusion, the court ignored the advice of leading child health and welfare organizations as well as decades of social science research proving that same-sex couples are as capable of being good parents as straight people and their children are equally well adjusted.

In Arkansas, the court unanimously struck down a regulation that banned lesbian and gay people from serving as foster parents, a decision cheered by child welfare advocates nationwide.

The Court criticized the Child Welfare Agency Review Board's reasons for enacting the regulation, writing, "These facts demonstrate that there is no correlation between the health, welfare, and safety of foster children and the blanket exclusion of any individual who is a homosexual or who resides in a household with a homosexual." The Court went on to say that the state's argument to the contrary "flies in the face" of the scientific evidence about the suitability of lesbian and gay people as foster parents" adding that "the driving force behind adoption of the regulation was not to promote the health, safety, and welfare of foster children, but rather based upon the Board's view of morality and its bias against homosexuals."

www.aclu.org

20. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I still love living in America and being a US citizen (even if I think the Executive Branch of government is comprised of a**holes). While I don't see GAY MARRIAGE in my immediate future, I would like to work to make it viable for the future generations... even if they choose not to participate in it.
    Hell... in some states it's considered illegal to co-habitate as man and wife if you're not "legally" married.