Gay Hippies

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Duncan, May 26, 2006.

1. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

I agree because I too was there...Stupid 23 year old gay kid (I was still a kid at 23)...I met the mindset of any hippie anywhere and that was cool. I really believed that i had found kindred spirits. But as soon as I said I was gay or even tried to bring the topic up I was shunned like a narc at a Dead consert. My experience was that straight society and the hippies had common ground in despising queers. I was out to a tiny handfull of folks most of whom were too radical even for the local hippies.

In a way it worked out good though. I really had to examine the difference between people who wore bell-bottoms and said "Peace Bro" and the very few people who did think for themselves. Ironic because my actual values of love and peace were built in, not something I picked up at a head shop. I hung with a hippie crowd for the most part because of my interest in psychedelics and all things trippy. Unfortunately the hippie "bros" weren't really brothers at all when they found out you really were different. Oddly enough that bothered me a lot. I was really searching for somewhere to fit in and the hippies should have been a great fit but... aahhh well, history

2. Biggles_Nude!

Biggles_Nude! Hakuna matata.

They would have been around in the 60s and 70s but it just was not an established thing or recognised at the time. The hippies I know well are now well into their 70s and were there as the earliest gays and can remember it. The movement in Australia however may have lagged behind the USA and Europe at the time.

3. NutsForBalls

NutsForBalls Newbie

Not really sure, but know that I fucking love gay hippies. Long hair! Bare feet. Hairy dick and balls. Hairy pits. All natural. Beards. Fuck... hippies turn me on.

4. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I was a teenager in the late 1960s in England where homosexuality was de-crimminalised in 1967 ( not so in the rest if the Uk until much later) and being curious after losing my virginity with a girl at 18, 1969, I then answered an ad from a gay west African and went to stay the weekend with him in London.....lost my anal viginity with him and have been bi ever since: the best if both worlds and proud of being pansexual

I have been lucky in that I never felt persecuted or rejected in any way re. my sexuality, whether I was ever a true hippie Idk...haha.

Simon :)

5. nldn

nldn Senior Member

It's worth remembering how attitudes towards gay men (and to an extent lesbians) have changed, even over the last ten years. The attitudes of the late 60s are a lifetime away especially towards homosexuality. I'd expect there to have been less 'out' gay men or bisexuals in the 1960s, even though the few instances of naked events may have been appreciated by closeted gay men.

6. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

I came of age and moved out on my own in 1967. Within a year I was deeply immersed in the hippie and music scene of California. By 1972, I was a practicing bisexual with a very diverse gender orientation. It was so much easier for a man to express both masculinity and femininity, because we dressed so flamboyantly and had long hair. But, truth be told, actually being bisexual or gay was not widely accepted.

There was still a lot of anti-homosexuality, even in the hippie subculture. However, for those of us who were quietly being sensually intimate with both men and women, it was a wonderful time of freedom and possibility. I think the hippie movement opened a door for the gay pride movement, because once you experience freedom, you want to express it openly.

Here I am, five decades later, still loving women and men, still feeling both masculine and feminine, and still feeling free to do so.

FWKbi likes this.