Gas missing from tank after inspection

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Sep 16, 2013.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id be more worried at the $300 for an oxygen sensor than a few bucks worth of gas

i get those for anywhere between $25 and $125...and never seen one yet that would cost more than $50 to change

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:eek:

OUCH!!
    I hope they at least used some K-Y jelly.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

I was just thinking about a horse with a stuffed up nose..

something is wrong with Mr Ed?..

his oxygen sensor is going bad... ;)

[​IMG]

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Since first reading this I have been trying to locate some thing a friend of the wife e-mailed her about how/when to get gas, can't find it now.:(
    I'll paraphrase as best I can.
    Two key factors;
    Gas pumps use a flow meter to gauge how much gas has been pumped. This is important to understand.
    Gasoline vaporizes very easily.
    so onto the gas/money saving tips;

1) Fill your tank in the early morning before it starts to get warm. As the gas in the storage tanks heats up, it expands like everything else. Problem is the pump uses a flow meter, not weight, so when the gas is warm and has expanded is takes up more volume so you get an inaccurate measure of how much gas has pumped.
    Since we purchase gas by the liter or gallon, a measure of volume, it makes a difference.

2) There are three setting on a standard gas nozzle; slow, medium, fast. (the little notches you can set the pump handle in when filling)
    Always use the lowest/slowest setting. The reason being is that at the faster setting there is a lot of turbulence as the gas exits the nozzle and because gasoline so readily vaporizes that turbulence causes some gas to vaporize and be recollected by the vapor recovery system.
    You essentially just gave back gas that you already paid for since the measurement already took place in the handle. The warmer the temp is, the more you lose.

3) If you see the tanker trucks at the station, leave and don't use that station for another day. When they fill the storage tanks it kicks up a lot of dirt and that gets pumped into your tank. Give it a day to settle back down.
    It also aerates the gas causing it to increase in volume slightly until it settles back down.

There was also some other thing about how full to keep your tank, but I can't remember that one right now.
    If I find the original I'll post it. It came from a high school friend of the wife who works for a major gas refinery in central Ca. somewhere.
    He says they monitor the temps like mad because a fluctuation of just 1 degree can cost lots of $$$ in the refinery and storage.

anyway, they are some good common sense ideas.

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Sometimes people screw you over, and sometimes you think someone's screwed you over, but they haven't. I think you just have to decide what's worth worrying about and what's not.

The main way that garages screw people over is by charging way too much for repairs. If you don't trust the shop, try to find a better one.

Maybe it's better to put things into perspective and just be glad that you don't have a sub-prime mortgage loan.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I meant SENSOR, of course.

7. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

why has no one said it yet.... ITS A CONSPRACY :EEEEE

8. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i didnt catch if you mentioned the type of car and how much gas your tank holds but to inspect I believe they have to run the engine. Other than that it sounds like they were joyriding your vehicle or took some gas, similar to how people rip the copper wire and plumbing out of vacant buildings or sometimes even non-vacant buildings. Copper is not worth as much these days as it was a year or two ago but gas is still quite valuable.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Oh, you left that important part out about disconnecting your battery. Doesn't matter if you clear the codes all they have to do is connect the most generic scan tool/code reader out there and see that the oxygen sensor monitor had not run, so that explains the mileage put on the car. They were taking it for a drive cycle to get those monitors to complete.

10. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

edit: i suppose that's fair

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Dirty canadians... He was right on! :D Ok more seriously: you should PM him for an explanation. I found out it is generally not appreciated to copy a (especially neg) rep comment in a thread for whatever reason :p

12. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Isn't oxygen censorship unConstitutional? Thou shall not censor in others that which would be offensive if done to you, my friend!

13. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

took mine to the shop and the fuckers used half my tank. not surprised.

also told me the battery needed replacement so my bill went from $130 to $220. really? sounds like BULLSHIT to me.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Weird. I would be suprised like Rat.

15. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

shops are croooked as fuck. I wasn't pleased.

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Put your own 02 sensor on next time, even if you have to buy a special wrench it's cheaper.

Look on you tube to see how it's done.

I've had the wire to the sensor break on two different cars and I just soldered them back together for a cost of nothing.

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

It would have been easier if you just went in and said "my check engine light's on, what's wrong?"

If you clear your codes right before you go into a shop, anyone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to cars will see that the pcm has not run it's self tests - called monitors. I just googled it to explain it in layman terms since I can't or won't, one of the two.

Then learn how to fix it yourself, dumbass.

Just like you want women to throw themselves at you without you putting in any work, you want to minimize your output of $ for time, knowledge, expertise and physical labor. Your car is your investment, not an entitlement.

GFY.

Take care of your piece of shit before it becomes a boat anchor.

:rofl:

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i thought it was rather funny to suggest rat could fix anything

just go to work and do whatever you do...and bring your car into a pro

if you think they stole fuel...ask them...they'll probably explain everything deviate explained here