Gas Cut-Let's Do It!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by fylthevoyd, May 15, 2004.

1. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

It has been caculated that if everybody in the United Statesdid not purchase a drop of gasoline for one day and all at the same time,the oil companies would choke on their stockpiles.

At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net loss of over 4.6 billion dollars which affects the bottom lines of the oil companies.

Therefore May 19th has been formally declared "Stick It Up Your Ass" Day and the people of this nation should not buy a single drop of gasoline that day.

The only way this can happen is if you tell as many people as you can and as quickly as you can to get the word out.

Waiting on the administration to step in and control the prices is not going to happen.What happened to the reduction and control in prices that the Arab nations promised two weeks ago?

Remember one thing,not only is the price of gasoline going up but at the same time airlines are forced to raise their prices,trucking companies are forced to raise their prices which affects prices on everything that is shipped.Things like food,clothing,building materials,medical supplies,etc.Who pays in the end?We all do.

We can make a difference.If they don't get the message after one day,we will do it again,and then again.

So do your part and spread the word.Make sure to tell everyone you know.Mark your calendars and make May 19th a day that the citizens of the United States say "Enough is Enough".

The time is now to make a stand and voice your opinion,so "Let's Do It".

2. shadowofthesun

shadowofthesun Member

That's funny as hell..... well, this is, I was just about to copy/paste that "May 19th Gas Cut" Fwd. that I got on here.....LOL. I'm totally with you! I'm trying to get everyone I know up here in on it, too.....I wish there was some way to get everyone to know about it.... let's keep trying and....ROCK ON! This is a worthy cause!

3. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Member

The only thing about a gas boycott is, people still need gas...so they would either buy it the day before or the day after, and the same amount of gas would be bought..to truly make this work, everyone is going to have to sacrifice, not use their car period for that day so they wont have to buy gas before or later to make up for it..ride a bike that day, or walk, or if you absolutely have to use a car to get somewhere, carpool, or take a bus, or do anything that cuts down on your need to refill the tank the next day.

4. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

Or we could build a pipeline to Alaska and develop Russia's oil reserves, putting the Arab oil companies out of business and creating real competition within the oil industry thus dropping prices substantially.

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

um, doesn't most of our oil come from canada already?

the only way to truly fight the big oil companies and truly make a difference is through less dependence on gasoline, period. we need to get out of our cars and start connecting with our own neighborhoods again. i walk everywhere - food, clothes, medical, pet supplies...i get everything i need by walking from my home. i live in an urban neighborhood where everything is nearby, and i realize that many people, especially those living in areas that are being paved over for sprawl-marts, might not be able to do that. still, if we didn't just refuse to buy gas but actually got out of our cars and walked, biked, used public transit, etc. that would truly make a difference.

6. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Yes people need gas,and will buy it before or after the 19th.That isn't the total issue here.It is an attempt to raise a collective force of the masses to show the corporate pricks that society can be a threat.
    Hopefully it will show the general masses that they themselves can make a difference and they will carry this power to the polls to "flush the shit out of Washington" this November.

7. ericf

ericf Member

Heck, I'll do it. And I won't use my car (or anyone else's) for that day. That means I will have to walk to work (two days actually since I work overnights) but I'm in. I doubt it will change a damn thing... but why not try.

8. freesue

freesue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I heard about this "gas strike" the other day and was wondering if anyone had posted the info here. I see that you have.

I part-time as a cashier at a gas station and that is where I heard about it. Ironic.

I think it would send an important message even if it didn't break the oil companies bank day. It would show them that us little folks still have the power to make them squirm. It has a "Gandhi" ring to it. They tend to forget that if it weren't for us none of them would have jobs.

The solution is not where we get our oil though. The solution is to do away with the need of fossil fuels all together. We have the technology right here now, but it is being supressed...guess by whom.

9. metro

metro self-banned

I barely use any gas as it is. I don't see why everyone is whining about gas prices, we've been spoiled for a long time now in America. Maybe higher gas prices would be a deterrent. People don't need to drive everywhere. I am all for "truth in pricing". This true cost of things includes the cost to the environment.

10. Pablo

Pablo Member

look, heres what we need to do. They will lower prices if their profits go down, but some people need to drive to work and cant cut out much. So boycott the two biggest companys, Exxon and Mobile, buy from smaller chains, then when they are forced to lower prices, others will have to follow. We can get by on that right?

11. Pablo

Pablo Member

The technology is indeed being surpressed, they buy the patents on new technologys, then dont use or develop them, keeping other companies from building on them either, its a terible shame.

12. tinkerbella208

tinkerbella208 Member

Im in but we need a new date hehe it's past the 19th and i just read about it a day late!

did anyone actually do it?

13. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, we did it

does anyone know if it made a difference?

14. Tamee

Tamee naked

a good thing I don't buy gas, anyway! yay for lamber-feeties!