Garden State

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DejaVoo, Jan 1, 2005.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

WOO yes finnaly sum1 agrees with me..LOL! yah i know i think all these quote 'independent' films i guess you could call them like lost in translation, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind...they all like are kinda the same, trying too hard to be a 'different' movie or something. like i think natile portmans character was so fake, like all trying to be all quirky and stuff. well i know everyone loves those other movies..haha but yeah thats what i think.

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Well im not sure I understand, yes these "independant films" are trying to be a different kind of movie (I have no Idea how they try too hard though), Most of these kind of movies revolve around an idea that big movie making companies will not produce because they cant sell them to the lowest common denominator market of americans, so they have smaller budgets. (most independant movies, good or bad, have a more complex plot or story idea than your average Arnold S movie) Because of the smaller budjets they tend to be in modern present day settings and involve psycological problems and complex characters and situations.

I am glad they are trying to do somethin different with what little money they have, instead of conceding and making big blockbuster bullshit that gives me nothing back but 2 hours of somewhat entertainment for my 8.50. And though I might not like every indy film, (Elephant by Gus Van Zant was boring to me) Im perfectly content to pass over seeing The Day After Tommorow to find somethng like Pi that might be better on a quarter of the budget.

I would have to disagree with you on Natalie Portman's character as well. In fact I think one of the reasons I liked the movie so much is that I found her character so genuine, and played so right.

Just wanted to say I loved the movie again, I saw it a 3rd time last night, and was reexcited by it. I need to go by the soundtrack, its so good, very sensual but detatched.