Fusion idea

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by andallthatstocome, May 11, 2019.

1. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

I've been playing around with a concept for a fusion reactor

It started with essentially a mathematical shitpost where I wanted to calculate how a Frisbee would fly at relativistic speeds; what I found is that when you apply the Lorentz factor to the tangent velocity at the rim of the Frisbee and integrate the centripetal force around the full circle, an unbalanced force falls out of the math which would tend to deflect the frisbee towards the side where the sum of the tangential velocity(relative to the center.of the disc) and translational velocity(relative to a "stationary" observer) is greatest.

If you take a plane slice of a toroidal vortex, you get a pair of counter-rotating rings; given the unbalanced force term described above, what this means is that a poloidally rotating torus of plasma would experience an additional radial force when accelerated to relativistic speeds.

The trick is to give the plasma torus little RF kicks to accelerate it down a tube without disrupting the force-free condition, and I've figured out a solution. I am ready for prototyping. All it took was every piece of paper I had available and a decade of banging my head against a wall lol.

Ideas? Questions? I wanna discuss and collab. I'm trying to make it open-source too

2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Find freshmen, they are the most practiced with Frisbees.

3. wooleeheron

You do realize that physicists have discovered the last of the equations for describing basic turbulence and are no longer just taking wild guesses as to what would make a good fusion reactor? They've only been working on them since the airplane was invented. The Navier-Stokes equations are famous, and now AI can be used to control a fusion reactor with precision. "Force-free" condition sounds like mystical mumbo jumbo. The tipping point of complex systems can now be calculated and your entire idea depends on this.

You may also have to account for the Unruh Effect, and the fact General Relativity appears to have the same mathematics as thermodynamics, making the two interchangeable at some point. That would mean around 60% of the speed of light it would increasingly make your calculations garbage.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. andallthatstocome

Here's the thing you thought was "mumbo jumbo"
    Force-free magnetic field - Wikipedia

Spheromaks, field-reversed configuration, and coronal mass ejections all satisfy this condition

Yes, I'm familiar with the navier-stokes equations AND maxwell's equations. I'm familiar with the fact that exact solutions of partial differential equations are few and far between. I can also demonstrate that this is one such solution

5. wooleeheron

Then you still have to account for inertial frame dragging and the Unruh Effect, which hasn't even been experimentally verified. Oh, and "force-free" is still mystical mumbo jumbo and not a terribly technical term. Nobody ever said physicists weren't every bit a insane as the rest of the population and didn't have their quirks.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Fusion power will always be 20 years in the future.

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  7. wooleeheron

A scientist has already created a thermal diode, or Maxwell's Demon, that can make ice cubes at room temperature without expending energy in the process. By the time fusion energy becomes a reality, nobody will need it.

8. andallthatstocome

Gravity Probe B's measurements of the frame-dragging effect of the earth agree with theoretical predictions within a 5% margin of error, and considering that the size of the effect is on the order of tens of milli arc-seconds per year, that's extremely good agreement

9. wooleeheron

That only confirms relativity and not the Unruh Effect which is quantum field theory.

10. andallthatstocome

The unruh effect would only contribute around 1 K for a 1.5mm disc when the tangential speed is 0.5c and the translational speed is 0.5c, but thank you for actually bringing that up. I was about to completely write it off before I remembered that the unruh effect would also apply to rotations, so you're keeping me intellectually honest. The effect is still small enough to neglect, but not by as many orders of magnitude as I thought

It's definitely a step up from rubber duck debugging lol

11. wooleeheron

The chaotic dynamics are what interest me. All the latest research indicates you should find a Mandelbrot and possibly a Fractal Dragon as well, and you should see instabilities developing out of the smallest interactions, possibly towards the center. The Unruh effect is just the beginning of the quantum mechanics involved. Nonlinear effects are the hottest new physics in condensed matter.

12. andallthatstocome

The beauty about spheromaks, though, is that it's a local minimum of potential energy. Confinement times right out the box are typically on the order of milliseconds, and they're very resilient against filamentation, pinch instabilities and kinking. Typical failure modes are resistive cooling and sometimes precession off axis.

So yeah, the part where it makes the specific magnetic field configuration is pretty well-established. The novel thing I'd be contributing with this system is a waveguide assembly for establishing a rotationally symmetric traveling-wave interference pattern along the axis (biomimicry inspired by pineapples!)

13. wooleeheron

Pineapples sounds insane, but the north and south poles of the sun resembles a pineapple. Serious dynamo hum with 20 different poles to choose from! The magnetic fields are proportional to temperature, meaning you can balance them against the confinement system. Jupiter's poles have turned out to be hexagonal, implying a fractal recursion. Oh, and someone just created the first thermal diode, or Maxwell's Demon, capable of making ice cubes at room temperature. It could make a rather interesting containment system, considering someone at Darpa just patented the first room temperature superconductor.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  14. andallthatstocome

What's driving the heat from the cold terminal of the thermal diode to the hot one?

15. wooleeheron

Its Maxwell's Demon, heat is what drives heat from one side to the other.

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know dick about fusion reactors. I may want to take physics at some point in my life. mmhm... :smile:

17. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago I visited a physicist at a fusion research center at a major university. His take on it...fusion is the energy source of the future, always has been...always will be.

18. wooleeheron

Ask a physicist, and they will say for a few trillion dollars they can explain the meaning of life, the universe, and everything but, so far, after a few hundreds of trillions they have come up with zero, zilch, nada.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

what is it? I don't have a clue. Is it heating water with plutonium or something? lol. I have no idea what fusion is, or its practical applications. :)

20. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fission is the splitting of atoms to release energy, heat among other things. An isotope of uranium, a very heavy element is used in atomic bombs and nuclear power plants. Fusion is the combining of atoms, a process that releases a lot more energy as in the hydrogen bomb. In this process isotopes of hydrogen are commonly used but fusion takes place only in the most extreme conditions...and that’s the problem?

soulcompromise likes this.