funk and soul

Discussion in 'Rythym and Blues' started by UnspokenThings, Sep 22, 2005.

1. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

im assuming this is the subforum to discuss soul?

can we talk about funk here too?

ive been listening to lots of sly and the family stone lately!

the groovyness of it is great. very dancy.

i notice in my band when we play a song with that kind of feel the room erupts straight away.

2. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

I dig Sly & The Family Stone.

I wanna get "America Eats It's Young" by Funkadelic.

3. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

I really like Addison Groove Project and Soulive

4. Shiny J

Shiny J Member

5. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I'd recommend "Maggot Brain", "Free Your Mind... And Your Ass Will Follow", "Lets Take It To The Stage" and "Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On" too... [​IMG]

6. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

this doesnt belong here.

7. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

I always felt that "Maggot Brain" was a hard song to follow, it seems to be soul or R&B's equivalent of progressive or art rock. It's a harsh, bluesy, showing vast emptiness and a depressing trip, a very depressing song.

8. Shiny J

Shiny J Member

Apparently George Clinton told Eddie Hazel to "play it like his mom just died" so you're pretty spot on with the depression element. It's not however a true funk tune, it perhaps just make the point that a funk band can play rock...

9. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

But the roots of Funk and Soul are in Rythym & Blues (jazz and blues). Ofcourse this belongs here, where else would you put it? This subforum is about Soul.

10. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Kool and the Gang

11. OnTheJazz

OnTheJazz Member

Unite together my Interplanetary Brothers n Sisters of Galactic Grooveyness. Put the Funk to the masses and Help to bring all humanoid races both terrestrial and visitorial to the Intergalactically Freemindedly Promised Universe!

And really, Funk should have its own Sub Thread, I mean if we lump funk in with the R&B than shouldnt Rock be under Blues, and Jamm be under Jazz, and.....you see where Im goin with this....

12. Scooch

Scooch Member

Funk and R&B are my favorite genres. I'm a fan of music in general, but funk and R&B is where it started for me with Stevie Wonder. From there is was EW&F, Rick James, George Clinton, Prince, The Time, Red Hot Chili Peppers and lately Poundhound. Good stuff!

13. Dynamite J

Dynamite J Member

Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett & Percy Sledge...and last but not least Ray Charles!!!

14. waukegan

waukegan Member

the supremes,temptations,commodores,all those great groups.not too much music like that being made anymore.

15. I am not a Muslim.

I am not a Muslim. Member

Yeah! I agree that he was truly a genius.

16. zillagod

zillagod Member

I think the best funk and soul transfered to R & B and then to maybe R&R would be the Isley Brothers. Jimi Hendrix started with them, and taught Ernie how to play. Ernie learned well from Jimi. Just listen to That Lady, Summer Breeze, and others. The Isleys were the best of the genre, and they crossed over into many genres. The ultimate multi-genre band.

17. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

fuckin right! :p anybody ever hear 'the bamboos' or 'the mighty imperials' or 'the diplomats of solid sound'?

18. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

Funk and Soul are two of my favorite genres for sure!

Sly & The Family Stine, Sam and Dave, Charles Right and the 103 street Rythmn Band, and the Meters are great. And there is some great modern stuff too like the Chili peppers and the John Butler Trio who have some funky ass shit, for instance this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V-Em41OZ8U"]YouTube- John Butler - Daniella (Live)

19. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

all you need to know, is 'afrobeat' :D