Funerals

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by James T, Apr 20, 2019.

1. James T

James T Members

Once again I've been reminded of why I hate funerals. It isn't the loss, it's the whole concept. Why spend so much time in a room grieving and mourning the loss? Why not celebrate the memories? A funeral isn't about the person whose been lost. Its the selfish wallowing in ones on grief. Droning tear filled "oh this affects ME" speeches and "IM so heartbroken" stories.

Why not gather and laugh about the good times one more time? Celebrate the times you had together and the warmth you shared? Save the tears and the grief for a quiet time you have to pour your heart out to whatever afterlife you believe in. Would you honestly perfer some somber overtly dramatic spectacle when you go? Or would you want your friends and loved ones to revel in the time you had together, to toast to your life and praise the hell you raised in the name of living the life you felt best?

etherea and neonspectraltoast like this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Don't Know Where You Live But Here In Australia Funerals Have Really Changed In Recent Years......

Nowadays It Is Not Uncommon For A Service To Include A Lot Of Humorous Memories Of The Deceased......

I Think It's Great......Puts A Whole New Perspective On The Person Up The Front Of The Church In

That Big Timber Box......Iv'e Been In Services Where Every Person In The Congregation

Roared With Laughter At The Tale Of The Deceased Life Adventures...... :D.

And When My Time Comes (later than sooner hopefully)......I Hope To Hear Peals

Of Laughter At Mine...... :D

Cheers Glen.

James T and tumbling.dice like this.
  3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I guess it wouldn't matter if i'm dead. I don't really care for the whole religious sermon thing. Comes off as too fake. In my family they do both. Morn and speak of happy times. As for me, i'm pretty indifferent about death. I don't really see it as tragic or sad unless it was done by the hands of another human being.

James T likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is 100% accurate. and i won't say anything else, because over the years i've learned that you aren't allowed to point this out, and i'm not in the mood to get into a thing over it.

James T likes this.
  5. Visexual

Visexual Member

My wife and I have been married for 47 years. Over those years, we've discussed our desires about services. Almost 10 years ago we both paid for cremation with the Neptune Society. And we both have wills that state we want no service at all. We've made a point of telling our friends and loved ones so that the survivor isn't seen in a bad light because of the deceased partner's lack of service.

Now I'm sure cost has risen but we paid less than $5,000 for both of us. It's just one less thing for, whichever of us survives the other, to have to be concerned about.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think circumstances surrounding the death would dictate the atmosphere of a ceremony. If someone died from murder or a crippling disease, laughter and stuff do not seem to be an appropriate response.

I find most rites of passage in society kind of weird, this includes funerals, but people can get together after to celebrate, reminisce and all that, so I suppose funerals how they are currently constructed are appropriate enough.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't want a funeral. I don't want to go to any funerals.

James T and Mike Literous like this.
  8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'd like for friends and family to get together, get really drunk and laugh at all the stupid shit I've done. That would make me happy.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not a fan of religious funerals that just turn into a sermon. When my uncle died his daughter, who is super religious, planned his funeral agaibst the wishes of his other daughter and it ended up being an hour of a preacher who didnt even know my uncle just delivering a sermon. And my uncle was a super interesting guy who had collected an interesting group of friends over the years, it would have been way more respectful to his memory if his friends just delivered eulogies and told stories about him.

Anyways thats just an example. I'm not against funerals in general, just when they dishonor the memory of the deceased by making it more about religion and being "saved" and less about the actual deceased person.

If a funeral is done right I think they can be a wonderful step in the grief process. And by done right I just mean getting their loved ones together to share love and memories of the person

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think i've ever been to a funeral that was anything other than this.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That sounds good in theory but is it really necessary to make them twice as long as they already are?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They're few and far between

I went to the funeral of a lifelong firefighter last year and it was really interesting. Firefighters know how to bid goodbye to their own in style

Mike Literous likes this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lol nah but that would be fitting!

14. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I dunno man, I kinda like funerals in a way. Having a good old cry when the music starts is always highly cathartic!

Total Darkness likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When I die!
    Lay me in a mound!
    Raise a stone for all to see!
    Rune stone to my memory!

16. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

i'll just leave a dozen or so horcruxes around

James T likes this.
  17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

When I die, Bury me (me)
    Hang my balls on the cherry tree (tree)
    Let them git ripe
    Then take a bite
    And if they don't taste right
    Then don't blame D

18. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I kinda like funerals too. For different reasons though. And i would happily take funerals over weddings, baby showers, and birthday parties.

19. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I was just telling a friend the other day that I don't care what happens to "my body" after I die. I prefer to be cremated but the ashes mean nothing to me. Any funeral should be to make the living happy....because it isn't going to do shit for me.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

themnax likes this.