Fun Stuff to do in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by garf12, May 10, 2004.

1. garf12

garf12 Member

Well this forum hasnt really gotten going yet so I'll add something....

I went to Amsterdam last summer and did absolutley nothing all weekend but visit coffee shops. While I had a blast I do regret I didnt do more. So if you are familiar with a-dam list some fun stuff to do, other then get stoned off your ass. Some stuff that I wish I had seen that I didnt is listed below.

1. Red Light District (just to see it, not to partake)
    2. Heineken factory
    3. The Canals

2. lizm

lizm Member

I did those 3!

Walked through the red light (kept getting lost and finding myself there..only walked through it on purpose once). Interesting.

Heineken Experience - MUCH better than I thought it would be....for 7.50e you get 3 free beers, a souvenir and a couple of hours of fun, including a lot of high-tech neat stuff, a couple of "movies" where you feel you're moving with the movie (and in fact are, since they move the floor you're standing on).

We took a canal boat ride our last day....12 of us chartered our own and had two hours to go wherever we wanted....now that's the way to travel :)

3. velvet

velvet Banned

About the canals.. if you like seeing them from closeby but don't feel like going on a touristboat.. you can rent a 'waterfiets' (litt. waterbike). They are called 'canal bikes' I think and you can just ride around on the water for like a hour, which is pretty long. You can decided where you go completely, as long as you're back at one of the canalbike-stations in time. Doesn't matter which one, so you even don't have to ride a circle! Oh.. but make sure you're not run over by those tourist boats ;)

Pretty fun thing to do..

4. marko

marko Member

The museum quarter - Van Gough, Rijks, and modern art museum are all excellent and are also good value for money.

Ann Franks house - a must see IMO.

Heinekin Eperience is great, Cannabis museum, Sex Museum, the Katten Haus (Cat Museum).

Boom Chicago - very funny show at which all you Americans will feel right at home.

How many excellent resteraunts are there??? - zillions.

Thats just off the top of my head folks - great place, enjoy the smokes by all means but do make a point of going out and about in this fabulous city.

5. shrimpgirl

shrimpgirl Member

i'm going to amsterdam this summer, probably in july, how many days do you guys recommend staying? i'm definetly going to check out a couple coffee shops but like someone said i'd regret doing nothing but that.... canal bikes sounds cool :)

-shrimpgirl

6. Lanstar Zero

Lanstar Zero Member

I'll be in Amsterdam in July for the 2nd time!

Definitely try to go for AT LEAST a week. The 1st time I went I was there for 1 week and I didn't get to do nearly everything I wanted to..

7. moonshade

moonshade Member

picknick in the Vondelpark when its nice weather.
    visit the Waterlooplein hippie market.
    just wander around and be surprised where you end up.